What is the Difference between Airspace Authorization and Airspace Waiver? Class D

Reaction score
Im curious what is the Difference between Airspace Authorization and Airspace Waiver. and is one better to request over the other.

Im just on the edge of a Class D. and will be flying within this Airspace frequently for multiple projects.

Im operating under 107 and licensed and Registered.

after reading many posts, I can see its gonna be a while to get it. does anyone have a generic application n here to assist in giving the very best chance of getting something approved. If anyone is willing to share that information.

I have filled mine out to the best of my ability but its always nice to reference someone else's work that has gotten the Crowned Jewel of approval from the FAA.

Thank you in advance for any insight. This forum has always been a plethora of great information.

Im curious what is the Difference between Airspace Authorization and Airspace Waiver. and is one better to request over the other.

Im just on the edge of a Class D. and will be flying within this Airspace frequently for multiple projects.

Im operating under 107 and licensed and Registered.

after reading many posts, I can see its gonna be a while to get it. does anyone have a generic application n here to assist in giving the very best chance of getting something approved. If anyone is willing to share that information.

I have filled mine out to the best of my ability but its always nice to reference someone else's work that has gotten the Crowned Jewel of approval from the FAA.

Thank you in advance for any insight. This forum has always been a plethora of great information.

Scroll to about mid-page here and you'll see a list:
Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

Basically the former is to operate in the space proper, the latter is the operational conditions, at night, moving car, etc.

I have just read in several post that some are requesting Authorization and some a waiver. curious as to which is appropriate. also seems that authorization is getting approved a lot more and easier then Waiver. this is a with regards to just operating in airspace. B, C, D, E surface. Im mostly dealing with D as this is what i am close to and where most of my work is located. I will also be operating there for I hope some time so Just getting it for a month or so doesn't really help. if your going for duration should i apply for a waiver.?

I have an authorization for flying in the Class E sfc of my local airport. It was for a specific spot and over a short, again specific time period. I submitted a second request for wider area and a long term time frame which was refused with the recommendation that I resubmit it as a waiver request. Tone suggested that the waiver would be approved. Working on it now.

I have an authorization for flying in the Class E sfc of my local airport. It was for a specific spot and over a short, again specific time period. I submitted a second request for wider area and a long term time frame which was refused with the recommendation that I resubmit it as a waiver request. Tone suggested that the waiver would be approved. Working on it now.
Thank you for your input, May I ask how long your first one was for.. I am doing a project that will last about 45 days is that to long and should i go for the waiver, also I am looking to operate within 3 miles of a class D up to 200 feet agl. again would a waiver be better approach.

I have not needed to request airspace authorization up to this point so, even though I have my 333 and 107 it has not been a issue. But now with this dilemma of airspace refusal is is making life and running a business very tough.

My authorization was for 60 days. I'm only going for a waiver because the Class E sfc area that I want to fly in covers almost 1/3 of my home town and would preclude accepting any inspection jobs in the very area where they are most likely to appear. I would double check you figures and see if you might be able to run the mission at 150 ft AGL, be very specific about where you want to fly (give them good lat/lon info) and keep the radial distance out from that point as short as possible. You might also consider getting a handheld scanner the would allow you to monitor the tower, unicom and ctaf frequencies. include that in your request. where will you be in relationship to the runway, off the ends or parallel? if parallel, you should be outside the pattern and would want to monitor for aircraft entering the pattern. You might not hear them, but you would be able to hear the tower responding to them.

Richard, thank you for your input and valued information. I have spoken with the FAA a couple times today on the phone. The inspector was actually very informative and helpful. Even called me back with updated stuff after his own investigation to my questions. He did inform me that the FAA is actually aware of the burden this has on professional people that are following the rules and staying legal, apposed to the ( other ) pilots out there. While I'm sure it is t going to happen overnight. At least what he said seems they are going In the right direction.

Literally he said. It was not the intent of there policy to hinder us and that they realize that the recreational / hobbyist has more leeway then people that have gone thru the right channels to operate within the new regulation. He mentioned that it may be possible in the future to request authorization thru a app. For an instant response. I think that would be awesome if they did. In the meantime. I have just requested my authorization. As I think it will be processed quicker. And then work on a waiver in the future. As it appears that is the route you took.

In the end. I have be very precise as to my needs , location , time, alt, safety guideline, VO, communication , with the hopes its approved. Not being able to fly today was costly. So I hope this gets worked out soon. Thanks for everyone's input.

TerryC
333, 107, ATP

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A waiver is an authorization to deviate from the regulations.
An airspace authorization is not a deviation. It is just the paperwork required to operate in certain airpaces within the regs.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have just read in several post that some are requesting Authorization and some a waiver. curious as to which is appropriate. also seems that authorization is getting approved a lot more and easier then Waiver. this is a with regards to just operating in airspace. B, C, D, E surface. Im mostly dealing with D as this is what i am close to and where most of my work is located. I will also be operating there for I hope some time so Just getting it for a month or so doesn't really help. if your going for duration should i apply for a waiver.?

EDITED 01/31/17.

I apologize. There apparently is an option for an Airspace Waiver. I just received an email from FAA that explained some things.

They are using the term wrong.

Airspace Authorization

and

Waiver to fly outside of sUAS regulations

NO such thing as an Airspace Waiver

Last edited:
They are using the term wrong.

Airspace Authorization

and

Waiver to fly outside of sUAS regulations

NO such thing as an Airspace Waiver
Might not be true. Reread my comment #5 about the feedback that I got from the FAA on my second authorization request.

Might not be true. Reread my comment #5 about the feedback that I got from the FAA on my second authorization request.
I'd be interested if they give you a "blanket waiver" to operate in various locations within that airspace.
Let us know.

This system is so screwed up. FAA has a mess on their hands.

There is a slight learning curve here. Initially they didn't tell us about an "Airspace Waiver" only the potential for Airspace Authorization.

Now we have learned it's "possible" to get an Airspace Waiver for multiple flights of similar conditions within a specific airspace over an extended period of time.

Airspace Authorization - approval to fly in specific airspace for a short period of time.
Airspace Waiver - Approval to fly in the same airspace over a wide period of time instead of needing to get multiple Airspace Authorizations. Basically it's designed to streamline "repeat Airspace Authorization requests" to make it easier on both sides of the coin.

Last edited:
There is a slight learning curve here. Initially they didn't tell us about an "Airspace Waiver" only the potential for Airspace Authorization.

Now we have learned it's "possible" to get an Airspace Waiver for multiple flights of similar conditions within a specific airspace over an extended period of time.

Airspace Authorization - approval to fly in specific airspace for a short period of time.
Airspace Waiver - Approval to fly in the same airspace over a wide period of time instead of needing to get multiple Airspace Authorizations. Basically it's designed to streamline "repeat Airspace Authorization requests" to make it easier on both sides of the coin.

Exactly what I just found out. I received an email from FAA stating that i should ask for a Waiver and NOT and Authorization. Classic confusion from the FAA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan