What is the coldest temp anyone has flown their Phanton 3 at

Reaction score
Going up to Winona, MN this weekend and wanted to fly out there. The temp seems to be anywhere between 30 to 38 degrees. I have flown in about 36 degree weather and the quad did act a little funny from what I can remember but just brought it inside for a bit and then back out and was fine. So curious about others cold weather jaunts. Thanks.

Paul

Reactions: Mario_SB
Not really been cold enough here for a test, but I've flown my P2V+ at 10°F.

I took mine out in -22 C (-7.6 F). Flight time can be reduced by cold temperatures so I didn't fly below 50% power. Didn't notice any odd behavior, all the instruments appeared to be working fine.

Landed and took it inside immediately to warm up.

Here's a video from the flight:

I took mine out in -22 C (-7.6 F). Flight time can be reduced by cold temperatures so I didn't fly below 50% power. Didn't notice any odd behavior, all the instruments appeared to be working fine.

I'd keep it in a slow warming process for condensation reasons.

Fair number of threads on cold weather flying already. Here is one about -15 F: P3P at 15 below 0 | DJI Phantom Forum

I myself have done a bunch lately at -10 F. No problems, and I estimate my battery endurance was reduced by only 5% over similar flight at warm temperatures.

Waiting for some -40 or colder stuff we get in here in Alaska for some good tests but so far not this winter.

I'd keep it in a slow warming process for condensation reasons.
When I've done my cold flights I took the opposite approach: Brought inside, removed the battery, and put in a warm location to get it over with. Condensation appears but then dries quickly as the surfaces warm. Seems harmless to me. I then just make sure it is warm/dry before next flight.

Absolutely gorgeous place to fly you have there. An ND filter will take care of those prop shadows.

Fair number of threads on cold weather flying already. Here is one about -15 F: P3P at 15 below 0 | DJI Phantom Forum

I myself have done a bunch lately at -10 F. No problems, and I estimate my battery endurance was reduced by only 5% over similar flight at warm temperatures.

Waiting for some -40 or colder stuff we get in here in Alaska for some good tests but so far not this winter.
Fairbanks? We lived in Peters Creek back in the day in the military back in the 80's but -40° sounds like fun :)

I flew yesterday and the temp was 12F and flight time was a bit shorter, only flew to %50 of battery and landed and no ill effects that I noticed.

Last edited:

That's awesome footage, thanks for sharing!

Im really hoping to get to the park soon and get some fat bike footage...hope we have some nice flying weather!

-18C for me and it was fine. That was with my V2+.
I would give anything for that weather now - I hadnt seen the sun in 4 to 5 weeks nor any blue sky until today. I decided to drive into England only about 60 miles - what a difference! Blue skies and a strange yellow thing up there! It has driven me crazy constant torrential rain and 70mph winds and still no let up!!!

Reactions: alokbhargava
-18C for me and it was fine. That was with my V2+.
I would give anything for that weather now - I hadnt seen the sun in 4 to 5 weeks nor any blue sky until today. I decided to drive into England only about 60 miles - what a difference! Blue skies and a strange yellow thing up there! It has driven me crazy constant torrential rain and 70mph winds and still no let up!!!
Envy you guys. My coolest temperature was 45F :)

Reactions: Wibble
-30f freezing (or 8f above zero). And about 8 minutes of flight time due to frostbite years ago.

I've flown my P2 in -14F. Phantom and batteries were inside and warm prior to flight. Walked outside to calibrate compass and took off. My P3P is in the mail so I haven't flown that yet.

Reactions: Coach

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl