What is the best way to get this shot?

Reaction score
My wife's family has a reunion coming up in Florida. Everyone has rented cabanas around a private pool that only we will have access to. A thought I had was to get the family around the pool and have the drone relatively low, near the water. Then have it move up slowly with people waving and possibly some jumping in to the pool (without getting drone wet of course). Eventually, the shot would be way out as it made its way to 150 feet or so.

The one thing I would like to try to avoid is having me with the controller in the footage. Waypoints seem like the only way to go to accomplish this, but I noticed on the litchi app the lowest it would go is 16 feet. It seems like it might be better to start at 10 feet or so, but 16 might work. Anyone ever done a shot like this before? Any thoughts on how best to approach it?

My wife's family has a reunion coming up in Florida. Everyone has rented cabanas around a private pool that only we will have access to. A thought I had was to get the family around the pool and have the drone relatively low, near the water. Then have it move up slowly with people waving and possibly some jumping in to the pool (without getting drone wet of course). Eventually, the shot would be way out as it made its way to 150 feet or so.

The one thing I would like to try to avoid is having me with the controller in the footage. Waypoints seem like the only way to go to accomplish this, but I noticed on the litchi app the lowest it would go is 16 feet. It seems like it might be better to start at 10 feet or so, but 16 might work. Anyone ever done a shot like this before? Any thoughts on how best to approach it?
From my experience 10' is way too small a margin for error for the Phantom 3 in any autonomous mode, especially with people or pets close by.

Just blend in or shift behind a tree. With more than a few people it will be hard to notice a guy with a controller if you blend in

Reactions: _krausey_

The one thing I would like to try to avoid is having me with the controller in the footage.
image.jpeg

Or stand behind one of the in laws.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
Couldn't you fly a point of interest circle around the pool. That way you could put down the controller and be in the shot. Then I would just shoot a bunch of other shots with people jumping in the pool and edit everything later.

It sounds to me like something I'd try with Litchi's Focus setting. But not within ten feet of someone.

Litchi will fly at a minus elevation (below your liftoff point). It used to be you had to have it at a certain elevation before you uploaded a Waypoint Mission.

I also wouldn't try this until you've flown a few times using Litchi's Focus settings and feel comfortable with it and understand how to abort a mission.

SB

Couldn't you fly a point of interest circle around the pool. That way you could put down the controller and be in the shot. Then I would just shoot a bunch of other shots with people jumping in the pool and edit everything later.

I believe you need at LEAST a 30' radius to do a POI. That's a pretty big pool (easy to come by at resorts however). But that's a fantastic idea! Just let everyone know what you're doing and tell the jumpers what the look for to know when to jump.

But yes - You can spin the bird to face outward and let it rotate!!

Smart thinking dude :)

My suggestion is hire me to film your reunion footage. I'll work for the cost of accommodations, meals, & unlimited adult beverages at a quality hotel establishment, plus transportation to/from Florida for myself & my lovely associate. You'll get professional & skillfully piloted aerial footage of your once-in-a-lifetime family event, & you'll even get to be in the video without stressing over how to get it done. ;)

My suggestion is hire me to film your reunion footage. I'll work for the cost of accommodations, meals, & unlimited adult beverages at a quality hotel establishment, plus transportation to/from Florida for myself & my lovely associate. You'll get professional & skillfully piloted aerial footage of your once-in-a-lifetime family event, & you'll even get to be in the video without stressing over how to get it done. ;)

You clearly don't know what my family reunions look like. Sort of like Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty without all the money. :) :) :)

Check out YouTube to get some idea's, I searched for drone pool party. It gives you some shot examples to think about.
Also for some shots you don't have to fly the drone, simply hold it and walk around. The gimbal will give you the steady look.
Make sure you edit your video. You can do a lot with creative editing.

Here was a nice pool video that had some good shots in it.

Reactions: dirtbird
Check out YouTube to get some idea's, I searched for drone pool party. It gives you some shot examples to think about.
Also for some shots you don't have to fly the drone, simply hold it and walk around. The gimbal will give you the steady look.
Make sure you edit your video. You can do a lot with creative editing.

Here was a nice pool video that had some good shots in it.

This was a good recommendation. Thanks for sharing.

I've often wondered why DJI hasn't jumped on the concept (similar to what Yuneec has done) of allowing you to easily remove the camera and powered gimbal. Something tells me this is coming in the future. It just seems like an obvious next step to easily take a waterproof action cam off the drone with the powered gimbal to get steady shots without the drone.

And I don't like what Yuneec has done with forcing you to use a display (iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc.) to frame the shot on their powered gimbal. These action cams should all come with a little display on the back. Just my two cents and probably worth less.

I've often wondered why DJI hasn't jumped on the concept (similar to what Yuneec has done) of allowing you to easily remove the camera and powered gimbal.

Their solution is the original Inspire 1 camera and the Osmo gimbal and rather than remove the gimbal its probably a bit more slimline. The Yuneec method looks a bit bulky although more cost effective.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl