What is the best speed to descend at?

The limit should do you. You can go slower if you like.

But the main thing is to always add lateral movement while you're descending. So while the throttle is down, the right stick should be moving in some direction (or moving back and forth if you're short on space). Adding the lateral movement will keep you out of your prop wash. Then, I suppose, technically you can come down at any speed you care to.

I suspect that DJI have reduced the limit such that descending at max speed will not cause problems. (It is very slow)
It also seems that when descending at the max 2 m/s, it is not possible to add any lateral input anyway.
I've never noticed any problems with a vertical descent since DJI slowed it right down.

Meta4 said:
It also seems that when descending at the max 2 m/s, it is not possible to add any lateral input anyway.

Have you upgraded, Meta? I know I experienced the same thing with 3.0.4, couldn't add lateral movement when descending.
But after I upgraded to 3.0.6, the ability miraculously came back. And I'm back to zig-zagging my way down every time.

The slower descent rate does help avoid VRS, but doesn't completely erase the possibility.
It's just habit for me now, and it seems like it comes down faster... but it's probably a perception thing, because of the other movement.

ProfessorStein said:
Meta4 said:
Have you upgraded, Meta? I know I experienced the same thing with 3.0.4, couldn't add lateral movement when descending.
But after I upgraded to 3.0.6, the ability miraculously came back. And I'm back to zig-zagging my way down every time.

Agreed. I always land by flying forward and down, and it works just fine. I generally fly at 40-50m height, and I've learnt from experience how far out to start the descent to land pretty much at my feet.

so 2 m/s is fine as long as I move horizontally?
Cool.

I always wondered, but do you have to move if you are descending in high winds?

Of course not.
Your Phantom doesn't care if the horizontal component of airflow is caused by it's movement or the wind.
And I don't think the wind would have to be high either.

dragonash said:
I always wondered, but do you have to move if you are descending in high winds?

You shouldn't be flying in high winds. The P2 can only correct for wind gusts of up to about 20mph, which is far from "high".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1