What is the best settings ( resolution and frame rate )

Reaction score
Hi.
What is the best settings ( resolution and frame rate ) for Go Pro 3 black if you fly and record with a H3-2D gimbal ?

For getting better performance in premiere do you convert the files in Encore or Go Pro studio ? ( and with what settings )

I am just using the movies for computers.

Thanks
Morten Pedersen.

That is a very broad question. I shoot in 1440res 48fps most of the time. The higher the resolution the lower the frame rate. 1080 is good as well, it allows you to change the field of view from wide to medium or narrow which will get rid of the fish eye effect and you can shoot at 60 fps which is great for slow motion footage and capturing faster movements. When choosing a setting it is important to think of what you are going to shoot.

it really does depend on how much post-processing you plan to do. (speeding up or slowing down), and tweaking.

If you don't plan to slow down the footage, you'll be fine shooting at 30fps.
if you're shooting in low light, 24fps might be a bit better at letting more light in.

after that, it all depends on how big an image you want to work with. but probably fine to start off with 1080.
and then if you like to tweak video, consider turning on Protune.

And then use GoPro Cineform to transcode the footage prior to editing.

Much like the other guys have said all depends on your intended use and if you want the best possible image quality or something you can use straight out of the camera without needing to edit for useable footage. I prefer shooting in protune and the control the image in post and using protune its also recommended to use cineform format for the basic grading as its very fast and powerful. If you dont use protune then you dont need to do any grading and you should be able to easily use the MP4 files directly in your editing program but if you use a res above 1080 then your editor may struggle with the MP4 files so converting to cineform will help out with those higher res modes.

Basic tips in lower light use lower framerates 30p or less in good light you can use pretty much any frame rate and using the faster rates will give you some room for slow motion which can hide a bit of shake. Widest modes have the most fisheye and the narrow 1080p mode in the black has very little fisheye distortion. If using the GoPro as your FPV cam its worth trying the 4:3 video modes as this will let you see the most on your screen or in the goggles so much easier to fly with. I tend to use 1440p30 mostly for FPV and for best possible image quality I use 2.7k30 but also play around a fair bit with the narrower 1080p modes.

It will be interesting to see what the Phantom Vision brings in terms of video quality and different settings. Presumably, it could never be as good and versatile as the GoPro Hero 3+ Black.

Unless, of course, it turns out that the Vision's camera is made by GoPro.

Its possible the camera may share a similar processor to the gopro or sensor, but it wont be made by GoPro. It will not have the same performance as the gopro as their biggest advantage is protune and this was only accomplished because they bought cineform a while back.

The vision is a basic 1 axis pitch gimbal and I wouldn't expect the camera to perform any better then most cheaper small cameras but with some added functionality thanks to the data link. This is going to likely make it a better still camera then a gopro but it wont be able to match the quality of a h3 black camera in video. Dont expect anything beyond 1080p or any raw type of video mode like protune does, the 1 axis gimbal is also going to be a fair way from what you can get with a gopro and 2 axis gimbal.

Sony, JVC, Panasonic etc. havent been able to match the hero3 black where it counts and thats image quality at a comparable size and price. No way is DJI going to do what the big boys cant and if they did then I would have though they'd make the camera mount on a 2 axis setup.

Is it possible that you will be able to use a GoPro with the Vision?

My main interest is in taking stills of various projects I'm working on- so video isn't that important for me.

What baffles me is that none of the other small cameras have an intervalometer.

FrankB said:
Is it possible that you will be able to use a GoPro with the Vision?

My main interest is in taking stills of various projects I'm working on- so video isn't that important for me.

What baffles me is that none of the other small cameras have an intervalometer.

Seems to me that if you only want stills, the Vision and it's built in camera would be perfect for you.. no need to replace it with a GoPro

of maybe just wait a little bit and see what the Phantom II (without the Vision) comes out.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I am having problems finding GoPro Cineform. I can find go pro premium, and go pro professional.

Why not render the mp4 in Premiere ( over night ) That would be the same ? No

Can Encore do the same as GoPro Cineform ?

Transciver question:
Does someone know how to turn down the speed of the Phantom turning around it own axw ( left stick, left right)
It is panning way to fast even on min. stearing.

Thanks guys.
Morten

moffemand said:
Thanks a lot everyone.

I am having problems finding GoPro Cineform. I can find go pro premium, and go pro professional.

Why not render the mp4 in Premiere ( over night ) That would be the same ? No

Can Encore do the same as GoPro Cineform ?

Transciver question:
Does someone know how to turn down the speed of the Phantom turning around it own axw ( left stick, left right)
It is panning way to fast even on min. stearing.

Thanks guys.
Morten

The current version is called GoPro Studio 2.0. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to download:
http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20