What is the best range extender for P3P?

8.5 miles with the FPVLR V2. Best antenna for the P3
IMG_0044.PNG

With respect, that's rubbish. If you have correctly adjusted your fail safe settings, on RTH with the appropriate altitude and an appropriate home point etc, it WILL fly home EVERY time. So, assuming you've got enough juice left in the battery and assuming you don't get apprehended by a murder of crows etc etc you will see the bird sweep majestically back in to view. Be brave and turn your rc off, you'll see.

Exactly :cool: but ovyyus said, he thought it was guaranteed to come home and it all depends on you having set it up correctly. So if your rth automatically locks in at 90' and you haven't readjusted, will it fly back guaranteed? Or does it straight line in to 90'? Sorry for the confusion :)

Reactions: Wacker2611
You're right. You won't lose your bird if you lose control of the bird. It will magically fly back to you every single times.

This is assuming the bird's compass has been calibrated correctly and it has GPS signal... If for some reason it loses GPS or compass goes out of calibration, then I'd say it won't come home..

Exactly :cool: but ovyyus said, he thought it was guaranteed to come home and it all depends on you having set it up correctly. So if your rth automatically locks in at 90' and you haven't readjusted, will it fly back guaranteed? Or does it straight line in to 90'? Sorry for the confusion :)
I'm sorry too, for sounding a bit bolshy.

Reactions: Reed L
The only downside with mods to your controller is that the warranty will be voided if you happen to have an unfortunate crash.
I use the windsurfer as it's quick, cheap and does increase the range quite well. Obviously it all depends on your flight locations.

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
I'm thinking you want to go many miles. Let me just warn you that running the phantom out long range is risky. The phantom itself isn't designed to operate in hostile RF environments. What I mean is that if you are far off and get in the path of a microwave data link or medium power RF signal from any of dozens of sources, you'll loose control. No modification to the controller will provide immunity from this failure mode. Cities are chock full of RF these days. Just be prepared to loose it if you push the limits past what is reported here. Bob
marco polo will help you locate your phantom if it goed down.

The dbs is a provides great range . The signal far exceeds the stock battery power and the quick release mount makes it quick and easy to remove .

Hey everyone I'm looking to extend the range significantly on my P3P, not sure which products are best for it? Thanks!
If i were you, & you are anything like me & want to exhaust all inexpensive solutions first, i would go with a windsurfer antenna first... before windsurfer i would get 7000' on a good day, not with it i get 17,000+ easy every time.. if all else fails i would go with DBS mods, not because i have tried them but i closely monitor reports after installation & i have heard the most good reports from DBS.

Keep in mind, if you go with a controller mod even if you just crash your P3 DJI requires that you send the controller for any craft related issues as well, so they will could your warranty indefinitely if you have an issue, even if you reverse the mod & install stock back on, i am sure they could tell. Maybe getting a second controller & pairing the second one would be the best solution, but your also looking at another $400 easy.

Reactions: John Locke
FPVcustoms.com. DIY install. Took 45 min. Range Far exceeds the stock Battery. Last flight was 31,875 feet on a stock Battery. Not even a single blip on the signal indicators.

This bad boy upgrade has a 3000 mw battery for the wifi boosters seen here.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448183038.534588.jpg

Reactions: Reed L
I'm thinking you want to go many miles. Let me just warn you that running the phantom out long range is risky. The phantom itself isn't designed to operate in hostile RF environments. What I mean is that if you are far off and get in the path of a microwave data link or medium power RF signal from any of dozens of sources, you'll loose control. No modification to the controller will provide immunity from this failure mode. Cities are chock full of RF these days. Just be prepared to loose it if you push the limits past what is reported here. Bob
Hi

Dear Bob,
I live in Florida and fly at two well known RC parks in my area, you must be an AMA member to fly.
The rules of the AMA, Parks and the Laws of my State are very clear. You must fly in the field of site.
I do fly at other remote locations to record movies and take pictures that I use in my home recording studio.
I purchased an FPVLR Antenna kit because DJI went from 32 channels to 8.
I still fly in the field of site but I like the fact I have a stronger signal.
The news channels on the average of every two weeks, have negative stories about Drones.
The government will have a national Drone registration in 2016.
The AMA is proposing to the committee to make AMA members exempt from registration because the membership respects and obeys the laws.
Fly Safe.
Best Regards,
P.S. Your post was great.
William E. Burrows Jr.

I love my windsurfer. It Out flies my battery, easy as slipping it on the antennas, Very lightweight & Fits in my hard case. You Cant beat it for the price.

20150920_144039.jpg

If I had a battery mod running 2 or more batteries & I wanted to go past 3 miles I would upgrade to the DBS mod as I read more good things about there Antenna & Setup then I do the FPVLR Antenna & Setup. But I would not drill holes in my controller for any antenna mod! - That's why I designed antenna brackets - :)
20151107_224026.jpg

What ever one you pick to use I would also install the 32 channel hack as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: D4T_PoM
I love my windsurfer. It Out flies my battery, easy as slipping it on the antennas, Very light weight & Fits in my hard case. You Cant beat it for the price. If I had a battery mod running 2 or more batteries & I wanted to go past 3 miles I would upgrade to the DBS mod as I read more good things about there Antenna & Setup then I do the FPVLR Antenna & Setup. But I would not drill holes in my controller for Any Antenna Mod! - Thats why I designed antenna clips - :)
While I don't doubt the windsurfer do extend the range a lot, let's say to 3 miles, I doubt it outflies your battery. The Phantom can go easily 30mph. So to reach 3 miles, it only takes 6 minutes. Round trip is then 12 minutes. Your battery will last approximately 20 minutes. So no, the windsurfer will not outflies your battery. Now with DBS or FPVLR, going 6-8 miles is possible, so battery is the limit.

I just got a windsurfer myself. Love how small it is and fits nicely in my hard case. I got the foldable kind by Skyreat. Will test it once weather clears.

While I don't doubt the windsurfer do extend the range a lot, let's say to 3 miles, I doubt it outflies your battery. The Phantom can go easily 30mph. So to reach 3 miles, it only takes 6 minutes. Round trip is then 12 minutes. Your battery will last approximately 20 minutes. So no, the windsurfer will not outflies your battery. Now with DBS or FPVLR, going 6-8 miles is possible, so battery is the limit.

I just got a windsurfer myself. Love how small it is and fits nicely in my hard case. I got the foldable kind by Skyreat. Will test it once weather clears.

I was one of the first to offer 3d printed windsurfers & I disagree as I have done it many time in testing with my designs. Yes My split design fits great in my case as well. Also weather is a factor where I fly so every flight is a little different as far as power consumption & speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pluto88888
I was one of the first to offer 3d printed windsurfers & I disagree as I have done it many time in testing with my designs. Yes My split design fits great in my case as well. Also wind is a factor where I fly so every flight is a little different as far as power consumption & speed.
Your windsurfers are amazing tested yesterday got to 3000 Metres without signal lost.
My signal usually drop out around 1800 Metres at stock.

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4