What is the best range extender for P3P?

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm looking to extend the range significantly on my P3P, not sure which products are best for it? Thanks!

Hey everyone I'm looking to extend the range significantly on my P3P, not sure which products are best for it? Thanks!
DBS mods-- FPVLR mod --- Battery mods-- all searchable on the forum threads

Cheers:):)

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Try a windsurfer first...they are cheap and work very well...I've been able to go well over 2 miles and still have strong signal. If that doesn't work for you then spend more money on something more advanced

Reactions: Mako79
Try a windsurfer first...they are cheap and work very well...I've been able to go well over 2 miles and still have strong signal. If that doesn't work for you then spend more money on something more advanced
The other unique capability you shouldn't forget about is the two piece windsurfer fits in a backpack or nearly any other hard case. That's not possible with FPVLR or DVD MOD in most cases and also carry the iPad, charger and extra props.

I disagree, many of the horizon FPV antennas I sell will fit in a case pretty well and are easy to remove and install.
I stated the FPVLR.COM and DSB MOD setups won't fit. True, there are other antennas that fit, but for long range the windsurfer is compact and cheap, 2+ miles easy, not to mention no installation time and it won't void the warranty.

Reactions: mick74
I'm thinking you want to go many miles. Let me just warn you that running the phantom out long range is risky. The phantom itself isn't designed to operate in hostile RF environments. What I mean is that if you are far off and get in the path of a microwave data link or medium power RF signal from any of dozens of sources, you'll loose control. No modification to the controller will provide immunity from this failure mode. Cities are chock full of RF these days. Just be prepared to loose it if you push the limits past what is reported here. Bob

The other unique capability you shouldn't forget about is the two piece windsurfer fits in a backpack or nearly any other hard case. That's not possible with FPVLR or DVD MOD in most cases and also carry the iPad, charger and extra props.
IMG_0923.jpg This is my backpack with the DBS antenna install in the radio.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Dbs Mods will fit and if not it has a quick release mount and it takes about 3 seconds to remove . Well worth the 100 bucks and have a great reliable signal that will out fly the stock battery. Amazing antenna! !

Reactions: gppms and D4T_PoM
Dbs Mods will fit and if not it has a quick release mount and it takes about 3 seconds to remove . Well worth the 100 bucks and have a great reliable signal that will out fly the stock battery. Amazing antenna! !
Yes, you can always remove it, but make sure you don't accidentally turn on the controller without the antenna wires connection, there's a risk of ruining the RF circuits I'm told. The 50 ohm load is important. I think that's why all drone OEMs don't make it easy to remove the antennas.

I'm thinking you want to go many miles. Let me just warn you that running the phantom out long range is risky. The phantom itself isn't designed to operate in hostile RF environments. What I mean is that if you are far off and get in the path of a microwave data link or medium power RF signal from any of dozens of sources, you'll loose control. No modification to the controller will provide immunity from this failure mode. Cities are chock full of RF these days. Just be prepared to loose it if you push the limits past what is reported here. Bob
I've always worried about this scenario. Then I see Demonseed do things I would never do, flying around radio towers, high voltage lines, etc.
So if a Phantom was interrupted by rouge signals, in theory isn't that supposed to trigger RTH? I realize there are no guarantees of course, but if the craft loses the controller signal that it's bound to, I thought that was "supposed to" enable RTH. Am I wrong?

Yes, you can always remove it, but make sure you don't accidentally turn on the controller without the antenna wires connection, there's a risk of ruining the RF circuits I'm told. The 50 ohm load is important. I think that's why all drone OEMs don't make it easy to remove the antennas.
Not likely to accidentally turn on your controller . The dbsmods.com antenna will fit in most cases and backpacks with it on. It's a amazing how such a small compact antenna can produce incredible results . Great penetration through obstacles but important the peace of mind having such a reliable signal . Even if you don't plan on going very far away . I love flying out my back porch and I don't have to worry about aiming , I can just fly.

John Locke said:
So if a Phantom was interrupted by rouge signals, in theory isn't that supposed to trigger RTH? I realize there are no guarantees of course...

I thought it was guaranteed?! - if the signal between bird and controller is lost then RTH kicks in and the bird flies home. Am I wrong?

I thought it was guaranteed?! - if the signal between bird and controller is lost then RTH kicks in and the bird flies home. Am I wrong?
You're right. You won't lose your bird if you lose control of the bird. It will magically fly back to you every single times.

If there is something between you and the bird like a small tree that made you lose the signal or if you fly into a no fly zone, either way it just goes down. It will try and fly a straight path back to home sometimes, but no guarantee's. It may just try and land.

If there is something between you and the bird like a small tree that made you lose the signal or if you fly into a no fly zone, either way it just goes down. It will try and fly a straight path back to home sometimes, but no guarantee's. It may just try and land.
With respect, that's rubbish. If you have correctly adjusted your fail safe settings, on RTH with the appropriate altitude and an appropriate home point etc, it WILL fly home EVERY time. So, assuming you've got enough juice left in the battery and assuming you don't get apprehended by a murder of crows etc etc you will see the bird sweep majestically back in to view. Be brave and turn your rc off, you'll see.

I
With respect, that's rubbish. If you have correctly adjusted your fail safe settings, on RTH with the appropriate altitude and an appropriate home point etc, it WILL fly home EVERY time. So, assuming you've got enough juice left in the battery and assuming you don't get apprehended by a murder of crows etc etc you will see the bird sweep majestically back in to view. Be brave and turn your rc off, you'll see.
I'll second that I fly long range and lose connection regularly she always fly back to me.

Debbie downer! No but RF is right, whenever you fly the way I, others here,& obvious that you now want to, you gotta be prepaired that it may not make it back from that 5 mile flight

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31