What is the best FPV system?

Reaction score
I currently have the helipal storm all in one fpv system (deluxe) from helipal.com [http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html]. ive been using this for about 6 months now and just upgraded my gimbal to the H3-3D gimbal and also want to upgrade my fpv system. i dont want fatsharks as i dont like to be THAT imersed into the flight. I want a system that has a great transmitter that can work the range of the phantom, so i can max the range and still have solid video. With the cheap chinese made one i have now the video cuts out after about 100meters. Price is not a limitation but i want it to be proven tested and like i said, work at the drones range. Soldering is not an issue either. I want to use it with a monitor (preferably my current one, if not i dont have an issue buying another, my monitor specs can be found at the helipal link above.) and with the stock dji controller, iosd mini, and my H3-3D gimbal, with Hero 3.

phantom_medic said:
you dont have to have a 'gimbal' to do fpv right?

technically the answer to your question is no.. you just need a camera (how are you going to attach it to your phantom?), a video transmitter, a cable to link the two and a way to power the transmitter. (not counting the receiving side equipment)

but honestly Phantoms are designed to work with a gimbal, and everything integrates much better. somehow mounting a camera directly to a phantom frame will result in every vibration and movement of the Phantom translating directly to the video... your view will be shaky, tilt, and generally be a hassle. a gimbal smooths all that out and yields an actually useable experience

sounds like you'd just be better off with the P2V+
the H3-3D gimbal plugs into the gopro allowing for a live view of what your actually recording. essential for video production. not so important for the common hobbits. Also the fat shark systems have their own separate camera module, this is why a gimbal is not needed for fatshark...
you can easily get up to the 500$ range for fpv if your serious... but for a hobbits. stick with the all included P2V+ and use your phone as monitor :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
sounds like you'd just be better off with the P2V+
the H3-3D gimbal plugs into the gopro allowing for a live view of what your actually recording. essential for video production. not so important for the common hobbits. Also the fat shark systems have their own separate camera module, this is why a gimbal is not needed for fatshark...
you can easily get up to the 500$ range for fpv if your serious... but for a hobbits. stick with the all included P2V+ and use your phone as monitor :shock:

I dont like the vision as the camera has not as good quality like the gopro, also the wifi fpv system it has i do not like since wifi is not as reliagble as a 5.8g fpv system

I am routinely going 3km to 4km (limited by P2/Futaba range, not FPV range) with good/great video feed using ImmersionRC Duo, good antennae, and the ImmersionRC 250mW transmitter. I feed Fatsharks and Lilliput out of the Duo. All that FPV gear runs about $1,200, so not cheap. But great range and quality, and option of goggle immersion or screen/visual during each flight. Powering Duo and Lilliput with old LiPo's from my P1 days.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I am routinely going 3km to 4km (limited by P2/Futaba range, not FPV range) with good/great video feed using ImmersionRC Duo, good antennae, and the ImmersionRC 250mW transmitter. I feed Fatsharks and Lilliput out of the Duo. All that FPV gear runs about $1,200, so not cheap. But great range and quality, and option of goggle immersion or screen/visual during each flight. Powering Duo and Lilliput with old LiPo's from my P1 days.

Kelly

can you find me a link for all that stuff. im sure all that without the fatshark will greatly reduce the price

what i dont get is if you get all this 5.8 freq stuff for vtx, but keep the 2.4 orig antenna for the actual phantom and RC?? do you have to upgrade these things as well to go 1km - 2km?

No. Stock radio + stock transmitter, or Futaba 14SG + stock transmitter are good for serious range (3km+), assuming you haven't messed with the antenna placement on the P2.

Kelly

phantom_medic said:
what i dont get is if you get all this 5.8 freq stuff for vtx, but keep the 2.4 orig antenna for the actual phantom and RC?? do you have to upgrade these things as well to go 1km - 2km?

if you have both the fpv and phantom on 2.4 then their will be major interference which can cut the video out, or make the phantoms antenna cut out. that's obviously something you don't want. 2.4 gets more range for less power but doesn't have much bandwidth, while 5.8 needs more power to get the same range as a 2.4 (which is why many have it powered by a lipo rather than the onboard power) but it carries enough bandwidth to carry a video signal.

I get over 1000 meters clear video with the Storm Deluxe kit, 500mW VTX. I have just purchased the SkyZone goggles which I prefer over the FatShark. I place the screen on a tripod next to me and can change back and firth between the screen, goggles and line of site. I must say that the goggles is the best flying experience, and helps me line up the best shots.
All this on the P2. Am busy replacing the H3-2D with the H3-3D.

xplorer said:
I place the screen on a tripod next to me and can change back and firth between the screen, goggles and line of site. I must say that the goggles is the best flying experience, and helps me line up the best shots.

Same here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.