What is the best bang-for-buck range extension?

Reaction score
I got my P2V last week and I've been having a blast so far. Unfortunately the video has cut out pretty early sometimes, even 700 feet on occasion. What are the cheapest and easiest ways to up the FPV range, and I guess the control range as well?

From what I have gathered on the board, I could:
-Upgrade to R700 range extender
-Get some kind of range extender app for my phone
-Get some kind of upgraded antennas. Not sure how difficult installation is or what to buy though.

I am kind of leaning away from the R700 because I will probably upgrade to a Phantom 3 if it ever comes out (or maybe a P2V+ if I see a good deal) and I assume that would have a good extender anyways. If I put a lot of money into upgrades I want to at least have them be something I could transfer to the new drone.

I'm in the same boat. I'd like a cheap and easy way to double the fpv range... For now. I dropped $9.00 for the app, and it only gave me about 50-100ft addl range, plus, in order for it to work you must first load the app and connect to the phantom, add that to the pre flight checklist. From my research, the best and easiest way to improve fpv range is to crack open the wifi extender. The antennas are attached via mini PCI antenna connectors, but they are only tiny little wires. For around $5 each you can get pigtail adapters and run antennae wires to whatever antennas you like. If you want the easiest and most proven antennas you can order them from fpvlr.com, or if you like to tinker then you can experiment with all different types of wifi antennas. I saw a YouTube video a while back where a guy used a directional antenna paired with a multidirectional and this got him to around 3,000feet.

If I crack open the range extender to add antennas, is it easy to return to stock or is it permanently open? I'll probably sell this drone to upgrade so I don't want to break anything.

You do have to drill a hole in the case of the extender to add an external antenna so you would end up havering a hole in it if you ever wanted to swich back to the stock set up. Tho if you ever were to want to sell the extender to upgrade to some thing else you could just sell it as an already upgraded moded extender any way. No sence in putting it back to not as good configuration if you are ever going to sell it.

It is worth noting that by modding the range extender you will be voiding the warrantee for everything else.

JCDenton said:
If I crack open the range extender to add antennas, is it easy to return to stock or is it permanently open? I'll probably sell this drone to upgrade so I don't want to break anything.
:D
Well, if you drill holes in the extender for the antennas it's not going back to stock. Just get a RE 700 extender and you'll be amazed at the wifi range. Better yet, search Craig's List or Ebay for one of the new transmitters with the tilt control on the side.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18875

That is true. I saw on Craigslist the other day a v3 controller, 4 propellers, 700 range extender, 2 batteries and hard case for $250. People all across America will be selling these as losing their birds is a common occurrence.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj