what is GPS for

Reaction score
2 questions really:
What functions involve the GPS in the Phantom 2?

Initial lift-off location fixing (for use in the GoHome function)

current location fixing (to inform the GoHome algorithm... but apparently *not* used to keep the model in dynamic station keeping???... I was curious on this because I had expected the model to have a shot at holding-station during a flight. the model will drift downwind without apparently making autopilot efforts to counter this drift. both switches on my handcontroller are in fully UP position - is this normal?)

what else is the GPS used for?

Something is wrong. If enough satellites are locked in during flight and it is GPS mode it will hold its position within a metre or 2. If it is drifting in the wind then its in ATTI mode.

Yes, when in GPS mode, the Phantom tries to maintain its current GPS location when there's no stick input. With the Phantom hovering a foot over your head, grab a landing leg and walk thirty feet away. When you let go, the Phantom will fly back to the place where you first grabbed her leg.

I find that even when I have a GPS fix before takeoff, that the "fix" capability improves over the first minute of the flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31