What is causing this interference?

Reaction score
Noticed this during first flight and it didnt get worse/better based on distance between controller and P2. I have mini iOSD with immersionRC transmitter and BlueBeach Ultra antennas installed. I had the 90* elbow installed when it first started happening but went back to straight out hoping for a different result. Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/uEY6VJDgpkE

Not much help from me I'm afraid. Bad connections maybe? My Iosd mini is flickering as well quite often, a little poke on the case solve the problem, but only temporarily. Don't have the time nor the will to open it again! :( (I will probably have to at some point)

sergekouper said:
Not much help from me I'm afraid. Bad connections maybe? My Iosd mini is flickering as well quite often, a little poke on the case solve the problem, but only temporarily. Don't have the time nor the will to open it again! :( (I will probably have to at some point)

Yep. Doesn't make any sense.

Looks to me like maybe the video connection plug on the iOSD mini isn't sitting securely in the port, or maybe the same issue on the port where it connects to the mainboard.

I get a flickering mini IOSD readout (everything else is ok) when the bird is sitting on the ground and the gimbal is touching something, as soon as I take off or lift it off the ground everything is fine. Maybe I should fit that anti interference board after all....

Try a different channel for transmission.

Timsytanker said:
I get a flickering mini IOSD readout (everything else is ok) when the bird is sitting on the ground and the gimbal is touching something, as soon as I take off or lift it off the ground everything is fine. Maybe I should fit that anti interference board after all....

I have that fitted and installed....so irritating not being able to pinpoint a problem.

Dodgy connection between the camera and IOSD. Maybe a failed solder joint or crimp? It could be an earth, power or video, so check them all.

My first couple of flights were in my neighborhood.....one of the vendors I was working with told me that neighborhoods are full of interference from everyone's wifi routers in their homes. I changed the channel and also did more than hand-tighten the antennas (yes, I know...)

Just flew after changing the channel and this time it's not a constant flicker but a quick flicker once every second or two.....I've checked all connections and have a Blue Beam Ultra on the left and a Fat Shark Patch on the right.....just change the channel again?

ddublu said:
Just flew after changing the channel and this time it's not a constant flicker but a quick flicker once every second or two.....I've checked all connections and have a Blue Beam Ultra on the left and a Fat Shark Patch on the right.....just change the channel again?

Yea, it's a hunt & peck search when looking for channels (and a pain of sorts) Basically you 8 channels to chose from. In my area ch 7 & 8 work the best.

EMCSQUAR said:
ddublu said:

Yea, it's a hunt & peck search when looking for channels (and a pain of sorts) Basically you 8 channels to chose from. In my area ch 7 & 8 work the best.

So I was able see really good picture on 3 channels that I tried. The constant flicker was gone but the flicker every second or two is still there....what could that be? I am in my neighborhood surrounded by wifi but curious if that particular flicker pattern is consistent with that type of interference.

Anyone have ideas? I was out in a rural setting yesterday and that same flicker every one or two secs is still there. My buddies were asking if that was the gopro taking pics (when it flickered). I know it's not but can't figure it out. Can you change channels on the IRC while powered on?

I'd echo that it sounds like a dodgy connection or solder joint.

Bit of a nightmare working out exactly where the problem is unfortunately.

@ddublu:

AFAIK, it could be a poor connection or solder issue somewhere.

When I watched the video, you only had one of two antennas mounted. The the connection on the right has just the shipping/protective cap on it.

Your receiver looks to have diversity capabilities. In other words, the receiver can automatically switch between antennas to the one that has the best signal. The only time I saw video with little interference was using two different types of antennas - one directional and one omni directional.

I can't take credit for figuring that out. After a fly-away (or just waypoint altitude screwup on my part), I bought my second Phantom 2 kit from http://:www.aerialmediapros.com. And yes, it isn't cheap. However, after the FAA finally gets its act together, I do plan on using the quadcopters for a small part of my business. That's why I went with some serious kit, instead of trying to DIY. I'm explaining myself because there are a lot of people considering these for their small businesses. If so, then a small business owner has only so much time for research-related tasks. I just want it to work and be easy to train someone else to use it.

zadok said:
@ddublu:

AFAIK, it could be a poor connection or solder issue somewhere.

When I watched the video, you only had one of two antennas mounted. The the connection on the right has just the shipping/protective cap on it.

Your receiver looks to have diversity capabilities. In other words, the receiver can automatically switch between antennas to the one that has the best signal. The only time I saw video with little interference was using two different types of antennas - one directional and one omni directional.

I can't take credit for figuring that out. After a fly-away (or just waypoint altitude screwup on my part), I bought my second Phantom 2 kit from http://:www.aerialmediapros.com. And yes, it isn't cheap. However, after the FAA finally gets its act together, I do plan on using the quadcopters for a small part of my business. That's why I went with some serious kit, instead of trying to DIY. I'm explaining myself because there are a lot of people considering these for their small businesses. If so, then a small business owner has only so much time for research-related tasks. I just want it to work and be easy to train someone else to use it.

If it is a solder issue, it's from the factory as I didnt solder anything. I am pretty sure it's some form of interference that i just can't pin down. As far as the diversity on the receiver, I was told that you only need one on the left side unless going for distance....the receiver seeks out the best signal and uses that particular antenna...for that test I was right over it so didnt add a second antenna. Appreciate the response...going to flip through some channels on the IRC and see if I can't optimize.

ddublu said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Try a different channel for transmission.

The channel it's on is the only channel that picks up the video feed...Are there any settings on the actual IRC that I should know about?

Yea, there should be 4 little "dip switches" on one of the corners

Attachments

• 5G8600mWBackCard.jpg
    5G8600mWBackCard.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 373
Hi

Ok I had simlar issues with my Fat Shark. After spending alot of time building basic low voltage filter smoothing kits, I found the fault. It was a dry Joint on the video connection. So... This is what I will suggest to get to the issue..

Switch on the drone and the radio... Do not start the motors - Here is my question - Interference ??

Now switch it on - dont take off - Interference ?

You see the level of interference you are getting depends on when it occurs... A mate of mine had the issue and it was the way he was tapping his power - He was pulling the power directly from the battery and not the balancer output.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31