What is a good way to extend my useful range?

Reaction score
I'm trying to extend my range for my DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I am aware that obstacles and buildings severely limit the range of a drone, however I'm looking to increase Line Of Sight distance. I've heard of other operators getting somewhere around 3-5x the advertised distance... How? The DJI GO App, from my understanding, limits the operator to 500m. Are people using a 3rd party app? If so, which one is the best in your opinion? Thanks for your responses.

The 500m limit you mentioned is Altitude not horizontal distance.

The best bang-for-the-buck are parabolic reflectors a.k.a. Windsurfers.
Followed by directional antennas and then Amplifiers.

However amplifiers in the US require a license for legal operation.

I've heard of other operators getting somewhere around 3-5x the advertised distance... How?
The advertised range for the P3 Pro is:
Max Transmission Distance:
Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant
Three times would be a stretch but you won't find many traveling out five times the advertised range.
The batteries won't get you that far and back

Wow, thanks for the fast and concise replies! I will take a look at the Parabolic Reflectors you speak of. @Meta4 You bring up a very valid point about returning to base. I think for now the turn key capabilities are exactly what need, since battery life could potentially be an issue. Thanks again guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20