What is a good battery powered hdmi input monitor for field use?

Reaction score
...looking for one that is about 150 usd or less. Any links or suggestions will be liked. The thinner and more portable, then the better.

I flew with a guy a few years ago who was using a computer monitor around 23inch in the back of his van, antennas on the roof, excellent setup, the monitor was powered by a 3S battery so i guess as long as it has the ports you need and can be powered by a battery ... any that take your fancy should do.

Reactions: tml4191
I flew with a guy a few years ago who was using a computer monitor around 23inch in the back of his van, antennas on the roof, excellent setup, the monitor was powered by a 3S battery so i guess as long as it has the ports you need and can be powered by a battery ... any that take your fancy should do.
Thanks...how far was his flights with the antennae?

Further than mine haha, you can see it in this vid ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He custom built this one for me, this was me meeting him and testing it.

What do you hope to accomplish? Cheap HDMI monitors abound, although not quite at that price point. They don't have all that much brightness - less than a good tablet / cell phone so they are hard to see in open light.

You don't want to know how expensive good mini HDMI monitors are....

What do you hope to accomplish? Cheap HDMI monitors abound, although not quite at that price point. They don't have all that much brightness - less than a good tablet / cell phone so they are hard to see in open light.

You don't want to know how expensive good mini HDMI monitors are....
Just another viewing screen was the mission. Since omnicharge is about to be released, I might just wait and get a hdmi computer monitor to plug into for portability.

Problem is daylight viewing. High brightness screens are expensive. Cheap monitors are OK inside, less than useful outside. An HDMI computer monitor is an option but remember you're only putting out 720p from the HDMI module - a bigger monitor doesn't necessarily get you much more usability.

I use a 1000 nit 7 inch monitor that costs as much as a Phantom. I can use it for other photography so I can justify* it that way. YMMV.

"Man is not a rational animal. He is a rationalizing animal" - Heinlein.
"How much did that cost?" - my wife.

Anyone know a good brand to start looking at?
Brand names are not terribly important unless you are into pro or semi pro gear. The rest of everything is basic Chinese consumer level stuff and does not vary much from 'brand' to brand.

You need to ask yourself just what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want a bigger image? (But remember the 720 p limit.) Does it need to be very portable (ie, 7 inch)? What are you not getting out of your current tablet / cell phone?

Power is obviously important. Many of the monitors geared to still and video photographers have adapters that fit common camera batteries. This is a very nice feature to have. Or are you, as you implied, going to carry around another source of power. Are you going to put all of this stuff around your neck or do you have a tripod?

How bright does it need to be? High brightness monitors are *very* expensive.

So many questions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31