What if any issues flying around a large ship?

Reaction score
I was asked to shoot some photos and video of a large ship. Its currently tied up. I won't be landing on it but I do plan to fly pretty close (within 50ft). The ship is steel, will I have an issue with the compass?

Thanks

I was asked to shoot some photos and video of a large ship. Its currently tied up. I won't be landing on it but I do plan to fly pretty close (within 50ft). The ship is steel, will I have an issue with the compass?

Thanks
Probably not unless if you cant maintain LOS. Get that hunk of steel between the Phantom and the controller and not have clear line of sight, you could lose signal.

Reactions: FASTFJR
A ship is big .. some of them are very big.
If you are looking to get the whole thing in your frame, you won't be getting too close.
Have a look here to see what you can do without any compass worries: Shipping - Above & Beyond Photography
Here's a taste:
DJI_0317a-XL.jpg

Ha I live in Philly I know where exactly this is ...I work 10 mins from here..I'm not sure if all of Philly is flagged "No Fly" for the Pope coming though..

I work in Philly and live in the burbs. Nothing has been flagged as far as I know, I'll be out there early Saturday AM

I work in Philly and live in the burbs. Nothing has been flagged as far as I know, I'll be out there early Saturday AM
How are you going to approach?. I noticed it's all fenced in ...I plan on flying but towards the NE area pennypack and hope for some ships passing by

LOS needs to be maintained, maybe there could be problems with communications as ships use a lot of signals over a wide variety of channels, radar etc. There will be minimum fly zones so operator/port authority permissions will be needed.

..one other thing. Don't fly around navy ships. I heard that a guy did something like that on a destroyer that came into port.....set off the phalanx mini guns....had to buy another drone.

Please post the video when you're done. I want to also fly near that area :)

I've done some aerial work with ships, tankers, etc. Filmed a tanker 3.5 miles away from the shore; no problems. I stayed around 150' up and got some pretty good footage. I landed with 5% battery life so it did get a little hairy at the end. Headwind picked up on the way back.

I'd like to ask a follow-on question as I'm also planning to fly my P3 near a ship. The difference is that I'll be in a remote location and will want to launch the P3 from the ship itself. Will I have a problem calibrating the compass? Have any of you tried this before?

I'd like to ask a follow-on question as I'm also planning to fly my P3 near a ship. The difference is that I'll be in a remote location and will want to launch the P3 from the ship itself. Will I have a problem calibrating the compass? Have any of you tried this before?
DON'T calibrate the compass on the ship.
Your compass needs to know the magnetic environment where it is flying - not the distorted field close to the ship.
Calibrate on land and then fly.
You may need to hand launch if you can't find anywhere away from steel decks to launch from.

DON'T calibrate the compass on the ship.
Your compass needs to know the magnetic environment where it is flying - not the distorted field close to the ship.
Calibrate on land and then fly.
You may need to hand launch if you can't find anywhere away from steel decks to launch from.

I won't have any opportunity to go on land that I know of. I'll be boarding the ship just over the border from San Diego in Mexico and on the boat for 20 hours south to the Baja Pennisula. What are my options for flying if any?

Calibration at San Diego and watch your Phantom to ensure it flies straight.
Have you checked with the cruise company to see if you'll be allowed to fly from the ship?

Ok, thanks. Checking with the company is a good idea. They are fairly small (max 30 passengers) and I've seen photos and video from other quadcopter pilots who have flown there before but always worth checking.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub