What I'd like to see in a "finder" system.

Reaction score
The "best" option, IMO, is the Marco Polo because it does not rely on a radio service such as cellular and it has pretty good range. If you know within 1 km where it went down, you'll probably find it.

Then there's the new Optimal Finder Tracker that uses a GPS and transmits to a receiver. Likely others in the queue.

What I don't like about both is their receivers and displays.

What I'd prefer is a receiver without a display that uses Bluetooth or simply plugs into the audio port of my iPhone or iPad or Android device where an app does the display work. This would be far less bulky and expensive and would use equipment I already have.

Edit: Corrected product name "Tracker".

Last edited:
That's what I said above as a solution that I don't want. The a/c transmitter is fine, it's the receiver that has lots of cost in a dedicated display that should be off loaded to a mobile phone.

I just sent them this message via their contact page:

I would be more inclined to purchase your ICARE2 GPS TRACKER product if it did not have its dedicated (expensive) display.

Instead the receiver should integrate to a mobile phone via USB or audio cable or bluetooth and thence use an app to compute and display the position and direction to the transmitter. Indeed it could possibly integrate with a map product such as Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc.

In this way you will save the cost of:
-display and backlight
-GPS receiver
-map memory
-vibrator
-sound maker
-compass
-buttons and switches

and be able to use a smaller battery and smaller casing with a single "on/off" switch.

This would make it more affordable while providing a receiver platform that can do far more via app development in the future. For example, the position could be shared instantly with others via text message integration to let someone else help in recovery.

Regards,
AlanTheBeast​

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen