What have you done that most increases your range?

Reaction score
I've seen 2W amplifiers for 2.4Ghz, then we have aftermarket antennas. I'm referring to a P2, V2 non-vision. So, this will be for increasing the distance of the control link. I imagine high gain antennas will make more difference than the RF amplifiers.

What has worked best for you? Before and after distances would be great, but not necessary.

Thanks.

Even though I have the P2 Vision+, I've been getting consistent range over 2 miles by using a 2.4 GHz Sunhans 2500mW amp and booster antennas I bought at FPVLR.com.

I was getting around 1.2 miles max. with just the booster amp and the half-sphere antenna. However, once I added the pinwheels to the bird side, I increased range to 2.7 miles. The pinwheels can be sort of a hassle because the Phantom won't fit inside my hard case when they are attached, so I need to screw them on for every long-distance flight.

So yeah, it seems the pinwheels had the biggest impact on total range, but I would say the booster amp is just as important. I havent done any scientific testing of "amp vs. non-amp" range, so I dont have any real numbers for comparison. If you're a bonafide long distance enthusiast, then buying a booster amp and both Tx-side and Rx-side antennas is well worth the cost.

For those people who buy a Phantom and only use stock antennas to fly it out to around 1,500 feet or so, well I feel they arent getting the full enjoyment out of their birds. These machines were meant to be flown way out there beyond visual LOS.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home

2_4_GHz_half_sphere_antenna_1.jpg

FPVLR_bird_side_pinwheel_antennas.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub