What have I done...

Reaction score
A friend sent me a link to the Phantom and some videos about a month ago....thought it was pretty cool and might have to treat myself someday and kind of forgot about it. Lo and behold I Amazon has a lightning deal for a screaming price but I only had like 20 minutes to pull the trigger. I usually research any purchase like this to death but pulled the trigger anyways. Now I have been studying like mad and It does seem like I picked the right one.....

Sooo...now that this thing has arrived and will be given to me by Santa I need some help. I have watched all of the videos, read the online manual, forums, etc. but have a few questions:

1. Are prop guards needed from day 1 or at all?
2. Will 2 extra batteries be fine or better to go for one with a higher mAh?
3. I have seen the checklists but the modes etc. are a bit confusing - what are the best settings for beginners (I do have some RC experience with my Traxxas RC truck that does 30MPH and do not get confused on orientation etc. so might be a bit ahead here)
4. I am assuming it is best to chew up the stock propellors learning to fly - when/why upgrade to carbon fiber?
5. Instead of trying to land at first can't I just engage the return to home mode?
6. Will the cold cause issues with plastic breaking easier - I saw there is some cryptic LED warning when it needs to warm up - is there one if it never gets to temp?
7. I will be modifying the GoPro mount to a standard tripod mount and using a Sony HDR-AS15 Action Cam that has stabilization - how much practice before I risk mounting the camera or will it be pretty hard to damage?

Any other tips or tricks would be mightily appreciated. Thanks!

Mooreagreen said:
A friend sent me a link to the Phantom and some videos about a month ago....thought it was pretty cool and might have to treat myself someday and kind of forgot about it. Lo and behold I Amazon has a lightning deal for a screaming price but I only had like 20 minutes to pull the trigger. I usually research any purchase like this to death but pulled the trigger anyways. Now I have been studying like mad and It does seem like I picked the right one.....

Sooo...now that this thing has arrived and will be given to me by Santa I need some help. I have watched all of the videos, read the online manual, forums, etc. but have a few questions:

Approach this differently than any previous r/c experience- it is not like the old days. This Phantom will fly very easily with very simple and common sense input from the pilot- but club handing it will net you a very expensive lesson.

In short- no- if you are very careful and create a disciplined flying style. If you are impulsive and hasty in your manner by nature, then yes, you should get a set.
Wait to see how you want to use it- there are many options and accessories for the Phantom- batteries will become obvious once you know what you want to do with it.
3. I have seen the checklists but the modes etc. are a bit confusing - what are the best settings for beginners (I do have some RC experience with my Traxxas RC truck that does 30MPH and do not get confused on orientation etc. so might be a bit ahead here)
Being a long time r/c ground racer and fan, you really need to get your head around this as it is different- all previous r/c experience is moot other than understanding how tx and rx works. The best "mode" is GPS with both toggle switches in the up position on the transmitter- but you MUST understand those blink codes, and exactly what the Phantom is saying to you. Ignoring that, and thinking you will fly it manual from the outset, well, prop guards won't help you when the worst that can happen does.
4. I am assuming it is best to chew up the stock propellors learning to fly - when/why upgrade to carbon fiber?
Again- change your thinking and allow yourself the time and learning curve to not need props to replace- I have 6 flights in now, with no previous multi-rotor experience, and only beginning to get some comfort in how the device responds- and it responds very consistently if you understand it's language. I have not had a prop hit the ground once (knocks on wood)
5. Instead of trying to land at first can't I just engage the return to home mode?
If you hover it in front of you as the battery reaches it's drain (learn the blink codes mate) then it will self land- very nicely I might add- it is how I finish all my flights as I have a gimbal and it will save my heavy handed landings.
6. Will the cold cause issues with plastic breaking easier - I saw there is some cryptic LED warning when it needs to warm up - is there one if it never gets to temp?
That "cryptic" warning light is one of many which you need to learn- please excuse my abruptness, but being cavalier in your approach to this thing will be very costly- you also need to understand the fact that other people are at risk if you loose control- view it as you would your car in that it has the ability to harm- and also think about the rest of us who don't want all sorts of hindrance legislation to develop as the result of a few irresponsible fliers... feel me?
7. I will be modifying the GoPro mount to a standard tripod mount and using a Sony HDR-AS15 Action Cam that has stabilization - how much practice before I risk mounting the camera or will it be pretty hard to damage?
Look into landing gear extensions or get some of that pipe foam you may see others using to lift the Phantom for clearances- there are tons of aftermarket parts to outfit this thing- and many people use a myriad of setups... ebay, amazon, and even some independents have parts and supplies. Do some searching and reading to get some learn on... I spent over 6 months watching the same vids again and again- I knew this little sucker before it was ever in my hands- I take flying it very seriously, and I counsel others too as well... in the interest of the larger group.

Any other tips or tricks would be mightily appreciated. Thanks!
Yes- go back and watch the vids and learn those codes and how the led talks to you about positioning, registering home location, and the differences between home loc and course loc. Also learn the blink codes for low battery, and lost sats, or how many sats it sees...

The first time you fly it- do not touch the right joystick- just smoothly push up the left throttle until it lifts about 15 feet in the air, and then release the stick... and see how well it holds it position... then use gentle, and slight stick movements to get a feel- keep that led in your sight at all times on the first few flights... and watch out for power lines.

Thanks for the feedback - a little more reassuring and I just took your advice and bookmarked a site with good explanations on the LED status lights. After the news on Amazon planning the use octocopters to deliver packages in 30 minutes these might become quite popular and some idiots will ruin it for everyone.

I have about 10 acres out the back door with no trees or power lines so I should be good to go safely. Crazy to see the technology you can get at this price point.

Few replies, from another noob...

1. The initial 'warm up' is not a literal temperature warm up. More like a computer booting sequence, you just have to wait it out until the LEDs show that it's ready.
2. Once the booting sequence is complete, it'll need a minute or two to get a lock on gps satellites (6 or more) so it can determine its home point. This is very important if you ever lose signal, etc, the phantom will fly back to its home location. You have to get a home lock on every flight because supposedly if you don't do it it'll use the default home location that comes with the firmware... Which is in china.
3. When calibrating compass, stay away from metal structures because they can give out magnetic interference and mess up the procedure.
4. When taking off, be deliberate until you clear the first 4-5 feet. Hovering too low can subject the craft to air turbulence which imbalance it.
5. If you get disoriented, let go of both sticks. The phantom should stay still in the air (GPS lock mode). Piloting quadcopters may be different than rc cars, where it's more apparent of its heading and you're also more likely to keep the car moving so you're more in touch with its orientation. Quads are harder to discern (since they're symmetrical and they can go sideways too).

Mooreagreen said:
Thanks for the feedback - a little more reassuring and I just took your advice and bookmarked a site with good explanations on the LED status lights. ...

You are most welcome- and a big thumbs up for taking some more time.

Mooreagreen said:

I have 7 2200 batteries and fly the dog out of the Phantom.

I used course lock for a long time. Learn what it is and just keep yourself facing the way you Phantom was pointing when you lifted off. Don't let it get behind you and you will be ok.

In 5 months I've only had to change my props once. That was a semi-flyaway when I did not wait for GPS lock. Phantom crashed hard and broke a prop and bent others.

No! Just learn to land. I use return to home when I really need it. Like when my Phantom vanished out of sight when I was flying in the middle of the Mississippi River. It came back and landed to the joy of myself and about 25 tourists on the shore with me.

I live in New Orleans.

Basically you're asking if you will crash your Phantom. Learn the modes - CL- GPS- Attitude and what they do and you should be ok.

Any other tips or tricks would be mightily appreciated.
Like I said. Course Lock worked great for me. I stood right behind where the Phantom took off. I did NOT move or "rotate-turn" my body in any direction and kept the Phantom in front of me. No matter what way the "front" of the Phantom is facing, stick forward is forward, left is left, right is right, back is back.

Thanks!

sorry im too lazy to actually answer your questions but all I have to say is...I was overwhelmed when i first bought it to and within a few hours I was proficient and things started making sense and I turned on IOC and I have never regretted buying this thing. Just obey the "suggestions" the people say in the forum and dont do anything too stupid that is gonna cause the FAA to come crackin down on us.

I am with miller go fly. Learn stuff, note what you dont know or question, log on here and search, search again, if you do not find more than 5 posts answering your question, in many different ways, I would be shocked. Then ask for clarification if needed, you have a boat load of expertise here. Most questions get a definitive answer in short order. We are all here to help. Have fun and welcome to the next evolution.

There is one crucial piece of advise I would recommend ...make sure that the manual mode is turned off ...it can only be done in the assistant software when the phantom is hooked up via the USB ... It might already be done but just make sure before you fly ... I didn't and it came down like a comet when I flicked the switch from gps to att. And then to manual by mistake ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair