What has happened to the DJI Phantom Market?

Reaction score
As I look around it seems that the Vision Plus is not holding its value and new buyers are hard to find. Anyone else wonder what is going on in the market place that makes it hard to sell good working DJI Phantom Quadcopters? Or is it just my imagination? Could this be a seasonal product that will bounce back next summer?

it's not just you. i have couple too many on my shelves and trying to get rid of them and put them here to see if anyone would grab one or both
and haven't really had any luck with it. the only person who contacted me wanted to see the pictures.
i hate to put it on ebay because i can't stand them to begin with, their overpriced 10% final value fee plus 3% on top of that paypal takes.

i guess i'll just have to keep them and look at them on the shelf in the shop. until may at least. -1F here today with windchill of -25F. who want to fly in that??

:)

RC stuff in general has the depreciation curve of a rock. Once the cool factor wore off things were bound to return to their normal and historical state.

It you are in the hobby for the enjoyment of it then you are good. Don't ever look to get your money back out of anything RC. At best you'll get $0.50/$1.

If you are doing it for a business in my opinion it needs to have a ROI of 12 months or less. Otherwise you'll be loosing money on it.

Welcome to the world of commodity electronics.

Wedeliver said:
As I look around it seems that the Vision Plus is not holding its value and new buyers are hard to find. Anyone else wonder what is going on in the market place that makes it hard to sell good working DJI Phantom Quadcopters? Or is it just my imagination? Could this be a seasonal product that will bounce back next summer?

Amazon sellers are depleting their vision+ inventory in hours .
It's too high of a risk buying used with no recourse .. I think people would rather buy new and have the confort of a pn exchange or return policy. Just my 2 _cent

Just like with any product line, the early version products lose value quickly when a newer model comes out. The Phantom 2 Vision dropped in price significantly when the Vision+ came out. The Phantom 2v1 dropped in price quite a bit (especially in the used market) when the Phantom 2v2 came out.

also like I think other people mentioned the nature of this product is such that the value drops as soon as it's used. I suspect people are skeptical of crashes, damage, etc. because there is a lot of that data out there. When you go searching there is still a lot of negative information about them regarding flyaways and other faults that have since been fixed, but the data is still out there so people are just extremely skeptical of used quadcopter equipment.

You also can't disregard that anybody thinking about getting into the hobby is probably researching and finding that those new regulations are coming soon which may go a long way towards killing the hobby... banning long range FPV, flight restrictions, etc so why spend a lot of $ on a toy that may become illegal soon.

I have been looking to buy a P2 and in the past few weeks have seen prices drop, made me wonder as well. Maybe the new P3? Question??.....I am looking for a P2 v2. How do I determine (visually) the difference? I ask on e-Bay and people don't know what they have (P2 v1 or v2) and I'm trying to tell them what I know, which isn't much....motors speed controllers ??? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first visit and this seems like a very decent forum. thanks RM :)

CRJ700RM said:
I have been looking to buy a P2 and in the past few weeks have seen prices drop, made me wonder as well. Maybe the new P3? Question??.....I am looking for a P2 v2. How do I determine (visually) the difference? I ask on e-Bay and people don't know what they have (P2 v1 or v2) and I'm trying to tell them what I know, which isn't much....motors speed controllers ??? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first visit and this seems like a very decent forum. thanks RM :)

If you're getting it BRAND new, then the P2v2 should come with the newer controller. The newer controller has a built in rechargable battery, some little LED gauges for said battery on the front of the controller, and also the controller has a big *** WHEEL in the upper left for controlling the gimbal. the old controller just had a teeny little lever in the back. RC images below may help
Also, on the P2v1 (old) then compass on the rear right leg is small and silver. On the P2v2 (new) the compass is on the same leg but it's a bit larger and white not silver.
The biggest indicator should be price point. There's really no "discount" on brand new in box Phantom 2s, so the price breakdown is basically like this:
P2v1 Only: $569
P2v2 Only: $679
P2v1 with H3-3D: $829
P2v2 with H3-3D: $959

This is the NEW controller
P2_series_new_remote_control.jpg

this is the OLD controller:
p2v_15_c__05332.1409469608.1000.1200.png

I think the winter may impact sales as well, especially for those of us not lucky enough to live below the mason dixon line. From what I heard, the recent price drop was only for a few days after thanksgiving and prices will be back to normal by Dec. 4.

I'm new to the phantom and bought used about a month ago. I almost didn't go DJI and would have waited for the airdog or other "follow me" drones. Not sure how much impact new comers are having on the market.

pheobo said:
I'm new to the phantom and bought used about a month ago. I almost didn't go DJI and would have waited for the airdog or other "follow me" drones. Not sure how much impact new comers are having on the market.

Well, what do you think my friend?

Are you into photography? Do you own expensive camera's and len's? Or do you race RC cars in your backyard? (actually I do both) What Phantom did you get? Are you excited about the potential and do you have visions in your mind of places to go and take pictures?

Ouch, it seems like trying to answer the above could be work, not supposed to be. Just trying to have fun, I am.

Craig

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20