What happens when there are 000's of Phantoms?

Reaction score
So, I got my P2 around Christmas time and it really has me hooked. This forum has been extremely helpful and to all the active members I'd say thanks! So far most of my flights have been in public parks or playing fields. To be honest, the first couple of times I flew the Phantom I was a little bit concerned about what peoples reactions would be to it. What I've learned after more flights is that almost everyone is curious because they haven't seen one before and don't know what it is. They will come over as you are flying and wait patiently until you land it and then they usually marvel at how such a thing can hover and fly so well. They also tend to be impressed with the FPV and the gimbal. I have often brought it down to around 15 feet and then move rapidly from side to side to show the gimbal working hard at keeping the GoPro dead steady. (I consider myself reasonably techy and I had no idea what a gimbal was before I got into this) All in all I've never had a negative reaction to the Phantom

I am wondering though how this whole thing is going to play out for us all. I consider most of us early adopters so at this point I don't think we are in the mass market of people buying these things, but because of the quality of the product, I think it will happen. I also think we will see the prices coming down as more competition enters the market.

But now to my question....... will we get to a point where no matter where you go there will be people flying their drones and the sky will be dark with them ?

Just thought I'd put it out there and get some opinions if others have thought about it. Also, has anyone got really negative reactions to the Phantom ? (Assuming you were flying it responsibly and not buzzing someones house)

80-90% of these are essentially flying cameras, so they'll gather where cameras are most seen flipped out in public and ppl posing before them: touristy areas and landmarks.

We'll probably need to apply for permit\reserve tickets at really crowded areas, so they can register the flyers and also as a way to manage the traffic\limit the numbers of drones per day... or even separate areas for drone flying. I wonder if they'll bother with a 'drone flying license' so they can track us and also to get some assurance that we're capable of operating them safely within certain distance of public areas\people.

I would actually prefer that, because the alternative would be for them completely banning drones in public places.

@LeoS

I'd be fine with getting licenses also, for the good points you mentioned.

Who knows, we may even have to pass a flying test at some point in the future before we are allowed to fly.

I am always drawn back to the Manhattan video of the Phantom crashing into the buildings and I am worried it'll be the acts of the few that screw it up for the many of us who try as hard as possible to fly these things safely

SARC said:
@LeoS

I'd be fine with getting licenses also, for the good points you mentioned.

Who knows, we may even have to pass a flying test at some point in the future before we are allowed to fly.

I am always drawn back to the Manhattan video of the Phantom crashing into the buildings and I am worried it'll be the acts of the few that screw it up for the many of us who try as hard as possible to fly these things safely

Oh yeah, that's some rockstar-wanna be asshat that flew his phantom from the balcony of his NY apartment and completely lost control of his craft, wasn't it? Lucky for us, his craft crashed just a few feet from some lawyer dude who decided to pursue him and pressed charges.

I think that was 1-2 years ago, and there hasn't been a knee-jerk legal\regulation reaction by the FAA as far as I know.

-1 for licenses. My other avocation is fireworks and the government has totally screwed it up. I have five licenses for federal/state, and local. I carry insurance (up to 5 million) for a display I have to request a permit (over and above licenses) for any display and that means more review and oversight. I regularly attend ATF and regulatory meetings to make sure the sane people are represented. Yet I'm not the one who should be monitored. The ones who cause the problems are not the licensed people yet the licensed people get all the crap.

Having said that, we will probably end up having regulations and restrictions (and licensing) just because of the dimwits who insist on flying in dangerous areas. But it won't stop them from being stupid and the heat will be on the ones who are registered (higher fees, banning, exorbitant insurance, etc). If we see someone who is being stupid, we need to act to stop them. I have no idea what that will entail - but it won't be easy or pleasant. The extent we can we need to self-regulate.

Ladykate,

" If we see someone who is being stupid, we need to act to stop them. I have no idea what that will entail - but it won't be easy or pleasant. The extent we can we need to self-regulate."

I agree 100%. "What that will entail" starts right here.....on this forum. If you read back through my posts I have continually defined and urged responsible flying.....to the point of calling out dangerous and high risk examples and videos that get posted periodically here. The most egregious example was someone who...for his very first trial flight after adding an FPC camera and Tx to his bird....put it up over urban New Orleans....at night....into FAA altitude airspace. He got into winds (he never thought to check for) up there, couldn't get the bird to fly back...and it went down. Unfortunately, he found the bird and was still in business. He posted iot here because he thought it was funny and cool. I took exception...gently. The thread went to 3-4 pages and in spite of my trying to keep it impersonal and focused on responsible and reasonable risk....it went personal and people got censored. Turned out that was hardly the least of his risk-taking flying and within weeks....he stopped posting. Maybe lost his bird? He was sure trying.

Anyway, my point is we need to follow the lead of the AMA with guidelines and continuous emphasis on safe and responsible flying.....from the NON-flying public's point of view.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj