Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What happens to your Phantom on a windy day...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PJA, Mar 9, 2014.

1. PJA

PJA

This is what happens to your Phantom when you fly on a windy day...

I've been flying this thing about 10 months now and you think I would learn my lesson...

The wind was gusty at times... I knew it, but was itching to get it up in the air. It was finally a good day in NY, 57 degrees (except for wind gusts), so I took a chance and paid for it. Check out the flags blowing as the Phantom passes me and you can see how windy it actually was... I couldn't control the Phantom, it wouldn't even hover in one spot in GPS Mode... The wind just took it for a joy ride as I was fighting for control... So I brought it down in a hurry...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOIMbN4U1w[/youtube]

Damage:

Gimbal and GoPro went flying into a puddle of water (GoPro still works - needed to dry it out).
    Phantom landed sideways in a muddy-wet-hole in the ground - broke one Prop.

After drying it off and have it sit for a day it fired up just fine... :cool:

2. OI Photography

As long as you don't crash so hard you have to replace the entire shell. Cuz I hear that's a PAIN, and can take months to complete :lol:

3. PJA

PJA

I replaced the P1 Shell back in September from a very bad crash... Took about a month... I took my time...

I'm in the process of converting the P1 to a P1.5... (You've seen my posts on that thread).

Just waiting on a few other parts...

4. OI Photography

Indeed ;)

5. JaysDMC

**** I'm sorry to see that.

I'm also in NY and also had a bit of a crash today. It was just to windy out.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9686

6. mikeydaddio

Curious why it'd take a month to replace a shell? Maybe I missed another thread somewhere.

Mike

7. OI Photography

lol it doesn't have to take anywhere near that long to replace a shell, I was just making the joke because PJA and I are both in the midst of putting our P1's in to P2 shells, and it's been a long process (mostly due to availability of time, budget and materials).

Just replacing a Phantom shell can be done fairly easily, just takes some care.

8. PJA

PJA

In my case I had to replace an ESC, a couple of Props, new GoPro Anti-Jello Mount. I also decided to get a GoodLuckBuy Gimbal around that time. I had to rewire a few things to hook up the new gimbal and 7th Channel. And I had to wait for the slow boat from China for some Parts... Shell and ESC I got from USA dealers...

I also had some responsibilities get in the way, like work and helping out my 86 year old father (he has a hard time getting around)...

Also about that time Firmware 4.00 just came out and I needed to understand more about it, so I waited for someone to post a YouTube Video on how to installing it and recalibrate my TX... Made life easier...

For me, as for some others also, rebuilding the Phantom has a learning curve to it... I wanted to get it right the first time...