What happened to the tutorials?

Reaction score
Just yesterday (before my Phantom Vision arrived) I was watching that list of about eight videos where Colin describes everything from taking the quad out of the box, to calibrating, to photographing, to flying, to, well, everything. Today - they're gone!
At least I can't find them. A friend PM'd me on Facebook, and sent a link to that exact video about opening the box. When I [clicked] on the link all I got was a snowy screen that said it was a "Private Video". Huh? I watched these over and over all week, and now I can't find them. It wasn't on YouTube. I'm sure it was on the DJI website.

Any help or suggestions? I could sure use some of these now.

Having a time of it trying to connect the quad to my PC, trying to use the 'assistant'. Trying to figure out how to tell which version of firmware/software I have in both the quad and the transmitter, etc. I did download the full manual and printed it out. Trying to wade through that now. :cry:

It appears everything that had Colin Quinn in, has vanished. There's still a handful on Youtube

Holy Crap! Whodda thunk? How'd you find out about THAT? Those vids were GREAT! I'm kinda floundering here, trying to figure out how to make the PC assistant hook up with both the Phantom and the controller, to match the software(?). Folks seem to think I shouldn't 'turn a prop' until I do all kinds of upgrades. :x Last thing I want is to watch the Phantom disappear into the wild blue on my maiden flight - :lol:

Yes, the P2V training video links seem to have been removed, or moved, but they are
not where expected on the dji website. Hopefully, not some dispute with Colin.

Search utube for other Phantom Vision videos, and you will find many
interesting flights, along with some video tutorials made by others.

MrTommy said:
Holy Crap! Whodda thunk? How'd you find out about THAT? Those vids were GREAT! I'm kinda floundering here, trying to figure out how to make the PC assistant hook up with both the Phantom and the controller, to match the software(?). Folks seem to think I shouldn't 'turn a prop' until I do all kinds of upgrades. :x Last thing I want is to watch the Phantom disappear into the wild blue on my maiden flight - :lol:

Mid way down and then for more pages :)
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=30

Oh dear. What awful public relations management to take down those tutorial videos like that. Makes me think DJI are a rather amateur outfit now. Looks like DJI didn't even own those videos! If they have fallen out with Colin (and I have not seen any confirmation of that yet) then you can't blame him for taking down his videos I suppose.

Now lets see what they replace them with. I know some people don't like Colin's presentational style but has anyone seen anyone else if their 'team' who can sell the machine like he did?

Oh well, if they don't put anything up there are plenty of people on this forum who can replace these videos to help newcomers. Might not be as polished but the messages within them were pretty simple.

Totally daft by Dji. Same with all their other products. And as usual -- not a word from them....

So -- their CES 2014 announcemnet was "We can make a leap backwards!"...

That's only happened in the last few hours. Seems relations with Colin Guinn and the old DJI North America outfit have been completely severed. The DJI site shows all US queries now going through LA. Looks like Texas is shut down. Anyone know whether Guinn's outfit was a wholly owned subsid of DJI or did CG own the company and just fronting it all for DJI? That might explain the videos if Colin's company is claiming the copyright. Maybe the lawyers have got involved and YouTube did the take-down? I'm sure the dirt'll all float to the surface soon enough.

Admittedly, those videos were a big part of how I got turned on to the P2V and led to me buying one. They were well-made and gave me a very clear idea of how the P2V worked and what its best features were. I watched them all twice - once before and once after purchasing. Hopefully they replace them with something comparable.

mikeboruta said:
Admittedly, those videos were a big part of how I got turned on to the P2V and led to me buying one. They were well-made and gave me a very clear idea of how the P2V worked and what its best features were. I watched them all twice - once before and once after purchasing. Hopefully they replace them with something comparable.

+1

Shhhh. Don't say this too loud! I'm gonna video the videos with my Canon this afternoon (the ones I want anyway) and tuck them away under the bed... :lol:

Thanks Pull Up! ;)

As others have said, those videos were a factor for me in deciding to buy a P2V. I will plan to download them (using keepvid.com) tonight just to make sure I have them.

Yep it appears there must have been some big changes at DJI (and not for the better in my opinion). Here's a summary that I've compiled.

-They no longer go by "DJI Innovations" name but appear to have changed their name to "DJI Global"
- Colin Guinn (and possibly his wife who was in marketing at DJI Texas) has been sacked.
- a new marketing manager was present at CES who frankly was pretty hopeless and looked like he belonged more at the R&D lab than trying to sell the product.
- All the EXCELLENT videos with Colin Guinn on the DJI website and YouTube channel have been removed. Terrible, terrible move by DJI although Colin might have owned copyright and forced them to take them down after his sacking.

In one video in the past Colin's title was "Founder/CEO - DJI North America". I suspect he was an owner of the
North American division and the Chinese decided to cut ties with it hence why the name changes and removal of videos.

Personally as much as I love my P2V, it was Colin who convinced many of us to buy them. DJI are really shooting themselves in the foot at a time when their market share was really starting to take off. I hope they move to bigger and better things but without a good salesperson at the helm this will be hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4