What happened to my Phantom?

Reaction score
Went too take my p3a up for 15min when I noticed a abnormal noise coming from the motors.
When I done pre flight checks I tried too take it up and it went straight along the floor and crashed straight into a wall.
Then few hour later I took it home too try it again, so this time in my bed room I held the drone so I could hear and see it better, I was not holding it down by force at first just holding it.
Then put a 5% power up, too see or hear what's wrong with my drone.
N0W...I notice the propellers two black tip ones was going slightly slower the the silver tip props.
Now about 20sec later, the motors are powering up on there own, up to 100% power now I'm struggling to keep it under control, it's now trying on its own too fly away and it would of done if not in my hands.
It's only done 20 flights with no problems at all, so my question is this.
Why when it was working fine when I packed it away with my last flight would it , go mental and power up on its own?????

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yikes, that's quite an event to have happen.

Two sets of props showing slower rpm than the other two can just be a result of how you were holding it - if the Phantom was trying to take off or tilt forward for take-off this would account for the change in rpm at 2 versus the other 2.

On the other hand (and more probable) if the slower rpm was significant you may have burned out ESCs that are affecting motor rpm (especially if you hit a wall earlier and had the props stall against the wall while motors were still trying to rotate).

I have no idea why the Phantom would start up on it's own - unless there is an ESC issue that maybe delayed a signal to the motor to start - then started up on its own (especially since it was a 20 second delay). I would open her up and see if maybe there is a short in the ESCs wiring (got hot during the accident) or an issue with partial melt at the ESCs.

Thx ..I don,t won't too open it up as still under warranty..I'm taking it back too shop in two hours i will let everyone no if they change it there for me as only 29 days old

It's very unlikely that the retailer will accept it back, if there was a fault then DJI would be your best bet, the retailer will see a crashed drone and assume pilot error.

Be prepared for a long repair process though. They will want all the aircraft's internal flight logs and quite a lot of other information to isolate the fault.

Best of luck.

Now about 20sec later, the motors are powering up on there own, up to 100% power now I'm struggling to keep it under control, it's now trying on its own too fly away and it would of done if not in my hands.
It's only done 20 flights with no problems at all, so my question is this.
Why when it was working fine when I packed it away with my last flight would it , go mental and power up on its own?????
Never leave a Phantom idling with props on or not tied down.
There are many accounts of them trying to RTH or lifting off when temperature change causes the barometer reading to drift and the Phantom tries to hold altitude because the sensors tell it that it is descending.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Never leave a Phantom idling with props on or not tied down.
There are many accounts of them trying to RTH or lifting off when temperature change causes the barometer reading to drift and the Phantom tries to hold altitude because the sensors tell it that it is descending.
Wow. I want to do s deep discharge of my battery so I was going to leave it at idle. I guess it can lift a center block so I will put something very heavy to hold it down in case it wants to power up and fly away.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I guess it's normal to hang on to you phantom, crank the power to it, then claim there's something wrong with it?

Just take the props off

Hmmm, not a good idea as part of the props job is to help cool the motors by dissipating the heat generated from them - they get very hot while in service and especially so with no props. Never good to run this motor type alone.

Well took it back too retailer and they done a straight swop like for like said it was a fault with my p3a..thx Maplin they give great customer support.
Can't fault them.
So got my new one today and first thing that I notice is it's got the new motors on it
Wow !!!! So much quite than the other old motors but let's hope there more reliable...lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20