What happened during my flight

Reaction score
I have less than one month old Phantom 4 and yesterday I was flying it second time.

Before the flight I did compass calibration without any issues. Then I waited for GPS lock for a while but it get it. I restarted my phantom and it got the GPS lock and said ready to fly.

I was flying in P mode all the time. And there was no wind.
Here is the link to the video:
Dropbox - phantom_fly_away.mp4

First everything seemed to be fine, but then where video starts while flying backwards it started drifting to the right. I stopped and had the control again.

Then on 1:30 while doing slow yaw my Phantom started to fly on its own. It was totally out of control and was flying in a steep angle. After a while I got the control back somewhere in 2:25.

I flew awhile and then the same thing happened again after yaw at 5:05. Again totally out of control doing some weird stuff. Got the control back around 6:10. Before that I tried RTH without anything happening.

After that I was able to land safely.

Luckily I was flying so high and my Phantom did not crush, but this was really scary. Never had anything like this with my Phantom 2.

Any idea what can cause this behavior and should go to my retailer and try to get a new unit.

Thank you for your help.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

Wow, I think P in this case would have meant panic mode for me. You must of been scared at this moment. Weren't you?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

Yep.

It was scary. Luckily I was flying so high and it did not lose altitude.

I wanted to change to atti mode at one point but it was disabled from the app. Like I said this was second time flying with P4. But I have hundreds of flights with P2 and never had this kind of experience. Makes me wonder how reliable the new Phantom is?

Bad compass calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I also think it was a compass issue. But how do you separate bad compass calibration from for example compass hardware failure?

And scary part is that everything went fine with the compass calibration process. And everything was supposed to be fine according the DJI app. So how you can figure out that something is wrong?

And I got no compass error during the flight.

Last edited:
I usually check my sensor readings before my flight (MC Menu-->Advanced). It's highly unlikely both compasses in your P4 failed at the same time, which is why it's more likely a bad calibration.

Also, did you flip your remote control flight mode switch to Atti? Not sure I've ever seen Atti mode "grayed out"...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues