What had happen and why it didn't initiate RTH?

Reaction score
Hi all pilots,
A few days back I saw similar post, drone lost RC connection and was hovering for a few minutes.
The same thing happen to me today, here is my log:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Please see my video (around 1.5 min), I lost control and bird was hovering, eventually RC got a signal back.
not sure where I can upload it so here is the link to my NAS
http://98.232.41.238:8080/share.cgi?ssid=0s6I7mu

Please, explain to what really happen.
Thank you all in advance.

Just keep flying.

I believe that it wont do RTH until the battery gets low. It should hover until either you regain control or the battery gets low.

It depends if the RC signal was really lost. The downlink is the Lightbridge signal. If the RC signal is lost, the Phantom will RTH by default. However, that DJI GO setting can be modified to make the Phantom hover or land at its current location.

There is a setting in the go app to determine what happens... it will either hover in place or it can be set to RTH.

I believe that it wont do RTH until the battery gets low. It should hover until either you regain control or the battery gets low.
How low? I remember reading somewhere bird must initiate RTH after a few seconds after RC lost connection.

Just keep flying.

It is setable (is that a word?) but I believe 30% is default. Video can be lost without losing control, Can also be set to hover if signal is lost as others above stated.

One of the big errors with Understanding RTH is the assumption that a signal has been lost. It won't return to home if it has an intermittent connection.The signal must be lost. If It doesn't truly lose the signal it won't return to home. It will hover and wait for you to give it input. Video feed loss doesn't equal transmitter connection loss.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Video lost or app crash doesn't equal control signal lost. Check the light on your controller, if it is green you still have good control signal and the RC is still controlling the P3. Press and hold the RTH button on the controller if you lost visual and/or want it to come back.

Reactions: italiandrone
Video lost or app crash doesn't equal control signal lost. Check the light on your controller, if it is green you still have good control signal and the RC is still controlling the P3. Press and hold the RTH button on the controller if you lost visual and/or want it to come back.

Thank you for reminding me about light on RC. Totally forgot about.

Thank you all.

Just keep flying.

Please, explain to what really happen.
Healthy Drones explains it for you:
Downlink data connection lost ( Data Loss ) means that the remote got partial or no flight data from the aircraft for more than 1 second, which means the data downlink had issues.
It is possible that during this time there is a sense of full control of the aircraft via the remote as well as clear video, however typically the video gets choppy and the remote controls may have some delay.
This is typically an indication that the aircraft was flying in a high interference area or that distance was a negative factor. In these conditions the aircraft is at higher risk of initiating the Return-To-Home function.​
Your controller lost its connection to the Phantom but the Phantom still had signal from the controller.
It was just waiting for you to tell it what to do.
If you'd just made it climb a bit higher it probably would have reacquired signal.
RTH didn't happen because the Phantom still had signal at its end.
If you'd just hovered there until the Phantom calculated it was close to just enough battery to return it would have given up waiting for you and initiated RTH itself.

Reactions: italiandrone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic