What Good is it to Boost Controller 2.4ghz Tx

Reaction score
Here's a good one to ponder on. Since the bi-directional 2.4ghz signal to and from the AC is used for FPV & Telemetry on a P3S. How does the FPV range increase by amplifying the 2.4ghz signal being sent from the controller to the AC with a power amplifier as all the mod kits show. Wouldn't you have to increase the 2.4ghz signal FROM the AC to the controller to achive longer FPV distances?

Amplifiers amplify on the receive side as well. As far as the 2.4ghz side is concerned (on the rc itself)..... it transmits AND receives.

Think of it like this. If it were a human head, you'd add a bigger mouth, to make it be heard farther away. But then, you'd also add larger ears, so that it could hear things that are further away.

Yes, a weird way to put it, but makes it simple to understand. LOL

Yup. 100% Agree. I was wondering how quick someone would catch that. Although I can't remember seeing RX Gain (DB) spec's on any of the WIFI amps (which I'm sure are all bi-amps and in Phantoms 2.4 freq range). I think half duplex is a requirement to hand shake for WIFI type operation. So now what I'm looking into is what would be more benificial RX gain or TX amplification of the 2.4ghz signal at the controller itself. And also what's the balance for RX gain Vs Tx amplification.

5/16/17
Putting aside the controllers 2.4ghz TX signal..........

I looked a little harder and found a couple WIFI amps that show RX gain specs.
15db is best I've seen so far.
If I increase the RX gain of the controller's 2.4 by adding a bi-amp (which all WIFI amps are) that means, theoretically, I may possibly receive MORE "Strong Interference" from other WIFI in the general area because now the controllers RX sensitivity has been increased by 10 db or more??
Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
Well.... from everything I've read on here, it's more beneficial to boost just the controller. I've honestly never seen anyone put an amp on the bird side.

I suspect that when a 2.4ghz bi- amp is used on the controller the TX range is much better than the RX range. However I do understand that a bi-amp is needed because of the half duplex operation. We now are pretty sure that the 5.8ghz signal is TX only from the controller to the AC so only a normal amp and not a bi-amp is required. Several are available on line.

I suspect that when a 2.4ghz bi- amp is used on the controller the TX range is much better than the RX range. However I do understand that a bi-amp is needed because of the half duplex operation. We now are pretty sure that the 5.8ghz signal is TX only from the controller to the AC so only a normal amp and not a bi-amp is required. Several are available on line.

A bi-amp is not required on the 5.8ghz.... but a bi amp could be used without any problems.

These are nice:

New 5W 5.8GHz WiFi Wireless Amplifier Router 802.11g/b/n Signal Booster Q3J1 | eBay

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic