What glue do you use to fix cracks?

Reaction score
I had a small crash and need to repair the motor mount. Someone posted before a glue that you use infra red light to bond it.

I'm guessing you're referring to Bondic?

I suggest to use Plast-Aid.

I went with Bondic. DJI already replaced the shell twice due to cracks but this time it's my fault.

I use super glue with baking soda. Quick, easy, cheap, and turns to rock hard cement almost instantly. So far it's stopped a couple cracks in their tracks.

Here's a quick vid I made when I was asked about this recently

I had a small crash and need to repair the motor mount. Someone posted before a glue that you use infra red light to bond it.
After you repair the crack, look into some strong arms. This acts like an additional layer to prevent motor separation. Fractures on the motor mounts may extend further and you might end up with an out of control aerial lawn mower.

After you repair the crack, look into some strong arms. This acts like an additional layer to prevent motor separation. Fractures on the motor mounts may extend further and you might end up with an out of control aerial lawn mower.
I 3D designed and printed some before. It was with the first shell. The cracks got worst.

I use super glue with baking soda. Quick, easy, cheap, and turns to rock hard cement almost instantly. So far it's stopped a couple cracks in their tracks.

A suggestion: You should open/ widen the crack before repairing it. V-shaped grove along the crack should be good enough but ensure you don't cut a hole into the arm. Repairing then will give a solid joint.

I carry Gorilla Glue with me, instant fix for plastics and flying again in 10 minutes.

A suggestion: You should open/ widen the crack before repairing it. V-shaped grove along the crack should be good enough but ensure you don't cut a hole into the arm. Repairing then will give a solid joint.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't want to further split the crack and have it spread. Plus this method seems to stop it in its tracks.

This stuff is amazing. And permanent, sand-able, paint-able, etc.

Google

Thanks to both of you. I notched out a V then filled with crazy glue and pressed in the baking soda. One minute later I blew off the excess and gently sanded flush with 400 sandpaper. Perfect and strong.

I've used superglue and baking soda before and it's a good combo. The only thing I question is that it is very brittle. I'd be surprised if that didn't re-crack.

Mike

Rhino glue it's like super duper glue. Gives you about 10 seconds to work the parts together then it sets for GOOD. I use it in everything. Read the reviews on line.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The next great thing since sliced bread......fixes almost anything plastic.

Hey, this is great stuff. Thanks for the info. I don't do much molding etc. But, if I need it in the future, I know where to get it. Thanks.

Although I understand this post is about fixing the cracks, I thought it was worth bringing up the prevention of them here as well. I used the plast-aid as well after seeing a post about it. After my first shell cracked, I bought another and thought, I never want to worry about these cracks again. So when I got the new shell, and before I installed it, I mixed the plast-aid and poured it in the area under the motors on the lower shell between the screw posts and even into the corners near the the LED lights. Once it set (which is very quick, within a couple of minutes) it cures like it was part of the original piece. I now have a lower shell that has added support that I should never have to worry about cracks again. You can do a search on the forums here to see detailed instructions and pics on another owner doing this. Best prevention method I have come across and I could not be more satisfied with the results. Here is a pic of what it looked like on the lower shell after I added the Plast-aid (which I ordered on Amazon) -
c48f7cd9c6b4412337a8af3ea6f33270.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl