What FPV system for Hero3 live preview?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I use my Phantom entirely for filming and I need an FPV system that allows me to see what my GoPro is shooting.
I have a Zenmuse gimbal and I'm completely in the dark as to what the best solution is.

I think I'd like a screen rather than goggles so that clients can preview the shots while I'm filming. I actually have a little 5" Marshall monitor with an HDMI input if that helps?

Over to you guys, the experts! What's my best solution?

You can have a good combined solutions:

1) Your VTX in fact sends signal to 1 or 2 or more VRX. You can buy 2 monitors sharing the same RVX output signal for you and your client.
2) You could use the Monitor and let clients enjoy and become "director" by using immersion goggles, each one with independent VRX set to the same VTX frequency.
3) You can go ahead and share / record signal with a DVR or a Laptop.!

Here you can see my solutions proved by many users:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25052727&postcount=4

Thanks for the detailed reply!

What's the most simple option? Is there a solution that will work with my current Marshall HDMI monitor?
Like - GoPro > Transmitter > Receiver > HDMI input > Marshall monitor ?

Hard to get your VRX --> HDMI adapter, .... Does your Monitor has analog video/audio (RCA plug) ?

It doesn't, no. However picking up a cheap Lilliput screen with RCA input isn't an issue.
So what transmitter/receiver combo do I need to get video from my GoPro?

The main thing with screens for fpv is you need one that wont go blue or black screen on low analogue video signal. You need one that will go to full static, this limits the choices quite a bit but theres a few good ones. Look for one that is at least 400cdm/2 brightness with a lens hood otherwise it will be very hard to use outside when the sun is out.

Just about every vtx will accept gopro feed you just need the correct cable for your gopro that works with the vtx. Nearly all decent suppliers will also have gopro cables available for their fpv setups.

That's good to know regarding the screen requirements.
Can anybody link me to actual products that I will need - I understand the way it works but I now need to know what brands are recommended.

Here is what I use and it does quite well. If your looking for the cheapest setup its not for you but if you want great performance I think this is well worth the extra cash especially if you want a screen and not goggles.

Lots of places stock this DJI setup and it outdoes pretty much most 5.8 setups that arent using specific long range diversity antennas which may be a future upgrade. They would get crazy range with this tx as it can easily fly be used within the useable range of a phantom. Cant do deep penetration but does ok for 5.8 and much better then some that drop video behind a couple branches or low to the ground.

http://www.helipal.com/dji-avl58-fpv-sy ... tenna.html

Screen was only at goodluckbuy, quite a bit more then most screens but it comes with hood, radio mount and great screen for FPV that goes full static. Hard to find anything better in this size for FPV I think and I tried. My first few screens were a waste of money as it made daylight flying quite sketchy unless i pretty much used the screen as goggles fully shielding the sun. Also the others didnt go full static like this screen but went blue but at very poor signal so not terrible but this is much safer.

http://www.skylarkfpv.com/en/product.php?id=41
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/sunview-7-0- ... ystem.html

914z.jpg

72mj.jpg

ezkn.jpg

Just upgraded my radio to a Futaba 8FGs but havent flown it yet, the FPV setup easily does better then the stock radio range wise and this has got me in trouble and lost radio the other day causing a crash i luckily got away with just a set of broken props. ;)

I tend to push the phantom a bit and here is a bit of a stress test of the setup, this is stock radio to 700m and I was behind trees that you can see at the back of the course most of the time. The video was breaking up a little at times here but still quite useable and the radio had a couple odd glitches. With direct LOS at this range video is crystal clear and I can see pretty well on the screen letting me push quite hard.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKTYLcctZ4[/youtube]

Getting a bit deeper in the trees here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924q5Irfyn8[/youtube]

Here is one in better light. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHY5zXXk5E[/youtube]

Have a good look at the options but this gear I would easily buy all again if I wrecked it and wasnt going to go for lower frequency gear video tx rx for deeper penetration. Screen wise I havent seen a better one yet and dont see much more I would need out of a FPV screen.

jumanoc said:
You can have a good combined solutions:

1) Your VTX in fact sends signal to 1 or 2 or more VRX. You can buy 2 monitors sharing the same RVX output signal for you and your client.
2) You could use the Monitor and let clients enjoy and become "director" by using immersion goggles, each one with independent VRX set to the same VTX frequency.
3) You can go ahead and share / record signal with a DVR or a Laptop.!

Here you can see my solutions proved by many users:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25052727&postcount=4

Thanks for the detailed charts!

I'm researching FPV systems now. I was planning on thing with this monitor anyway (brightness and static on signal the main things).

With all receivers, is it a simple matter of splitting the signal if I were to later add goggles (e.g. Bascom or Fatshark) to run both at the same time? Or might I miss something? I see mentions of 'diversity' units, does that just means it frequency hops for best signal? I couldn't find an easy/clear definition when looking.

If you use FatShark systems, you won't find a lot of compatible frequencies.

I began with FatShark Attitude (with goggles), then when liked to add a LCD Monitor (for dual viewing), just added with cable signal from ghoggles outputo to RCA LCD Monitor.
Finally, bought a Diversity UNO RX wit the same frequencies that FatShark (it has 32 channels !). So in the phantom there is 1 VTX transmitting in frequency XXX over 5.8 Ghz and now on earth, any of us can watch in goggles, added Monitor or additional LCD with UNO receiver at the same time (all powered by standar LiPo batteries).

Hoping someone can assist me.... I just installed http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one ... eluxe.html on my phantom 2. I am currently using a 2c 800mAH Lipo to power the wireless transmitter. Once everything is plugged up and on All i can get is a black screen. When I unplug wireless receiver it turns to a static screen. Now I have only tested in the same room (Living room). In case it matters I have a my wireless router in the living room as well. Would that be causing me to get this black screen? or is it a different issue? I would love to have this fpv system working proper before I take out my phantom 2. does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?

Ps... Using a gopro 3+ black edition.

Addition to previous post: I just took it out to the park and had the same result as my test at home.... I am not getting any video, either a black screen or black screen with fuzz.... Any ideas?

BennyS said:
Hoping someone can assist me.... I just installed http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one ... eluxe.html on my phantom 2. I am currently using a 2c 800mAH Lipo to power the wireless transmitter. Once everything is plugged up and on All i can get is a black screen. When I unplug wireless receiver it turns to a static screen. Now I have only tested in the same room (Living room). In case it matters I have a my wireless router in the living room as well. Would that be causing me to get this black screen? or is it a different issue? I would love to have this fpv system working proper before I take out my phantom 2. does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?

Hi! I am thinking about that deluxe combo. Are you satisfied with that? I wonder how to power the xTx transmitter? It has to be plugged directly to phantom and his battery or do we have to attach extra lipo battery to Phantom? On this video below, also from helipal, I dont see any extra lipo pack... hm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLDJLVM4 ... 3CIKvfNfow

Krzyhuw said:
BennyS said:

Hi! I am thinking about that deluxe combo. Are you satisfied with that? I wonder how to power the xTx transmitter? It has to be plugged directly to phantom and his battery or do we have to attach extra lipo battery to Phantom? On this video below, also from helipal, I dont see any extra lipo pack... hm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLDJLVM4 ... 3CIKvfNfow

Right now I haven't been able to get it working just yet as you see from my post above. But to answer your question I ran the wire to power the wireless transmitter up the leg through the leg whole that the go pro cable is run through into the phantom. It was a tight fit, but you can get the plug through the leg whole without any drilling or distraction.... It did help to unscrew the leg just to do one whole at a time. I am using a 2c 800mah lipo battery that is just thin and long enough to fit in the extra space on the left side of the phantom 2 battery with out having to cut into the phantom or anything. its a tight fit, but possible. Ill post pictures soon.

Make sure the Tx and Rx (in the monitor) are set to the exact same channels (not just the same band, 5.8GHz). The monitor probably has some tiny switches on the back that let you change the channel it's tuned to. Also make sure the playback/video out is enabled on the gopro.

OI Photography said:
Make sure the Tx and Rx (in the monitor) are set to the exact same channels (not just the same band, 5.8GHz). The monitor probably has some tiny switches on the back that let you change the channel it's tuned to. Also make sure the playback/video out is enabled on the gopro.

Forgive me but this is my first FPV set up. The Screen has an RF A and RF B source.... Is that what you are referring too as Tx and Rx? It also has a Diversity mode. Also, The go pro playback/video feature will not show unless its plugged into a tv. I have a back pac screen, but that doesn't show the playback/video feature either. I will try to get an hdmi cable to plug into a tv and see if Its a feature I have to enable.

BennyS said:
OI Photography said:

Forgive me but this is my first FPV set up. The Screen has an RF A and RF B source.... Is that what you are referring too as Tx and Rx? It also has a Diversity mode. Also, The go pro playback/video feature will not show unless its plugged into a tv. I have a back pac screen, but that doesn't show the playback/video feature either. I will try to get an hdmi cable to plug into a tv and see if Its a feature I have to enable.

Gotcha. The monitor you have can be set to either switch between two signals (coming from two separate transmitters, like on two different aircraft), or to use both antenna's to "listen" to just one transmitter/aircraft...that's the mode you want ("Diversity"). You'll need to look in the manual or documentation for your Tx (transmitter) to see exactly what channel it's set to out a list of probably 8 choices. Same for the receiver (monitor screen). Those two both use the same group of channels, you'll just need to make sure they're set to the same exact one. However, if you hadn't set the video out on your gopro, that's probably the issue. It'll be available once you have the cord in your setup connected to the camera, or should.

OI Photography said:
BennyS said:
OI Photography said:

Gotcha. The monitor you have can be set to either switch between two signals (coming from two separate transmitters, like on two different aircraft), or to use both antenna's to "listen" to just one transmitter/aircraft...that's the mode you want ("Diversity"). You'll need to look in the manual or documentation for your Tx (transmitter) to see exactly what channel it's set to out a list of probably 8 choices. Same for the receiver (monitor screen). Those two both use the same group of channels, you'll just need to make sure they're set to the same exact one. However, if you hadn't set the video out on your gopro, that's probably the issue. It'll be available once you have the cord in your setup connected to the camera, or should.

Ok... I try that, but i still don't get the playback feature icon to come up even plugged into the wireless transmitter. Also, I purchased some DJI clover leaf antennas, can I replace the stock antennas on the monitor with the tx AND rx antennas?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik