What flight time are you getting with an FPV setup?

Reaction score
I noticed a huge difference in flight times between having my FPV setup and H33D gimbal/GoPro Hero3+ attached to my P2 and just flying with the Phantom 2 (when waiting for my Zenmuse H33D to be replaced last week). On a full battery (100%) what flight time (from take off) do you get until say the first red light warning from the Phantom 2, with an FPV setup?

I get appr. 9-10 minutes with h3-3d gimbal, gopro and fpv with some margin on the battery to land.

sanderx said:
I get appr. 9-10 minutes with h3-3d gimbal, gopro and fpv with some margin on the battery to land.

I thought my times were getting worse, I remember getting 16 mins+ on my FPV setup originally, now it's 13 mins and I land as soon as the red light comes on. Maybe I'm not treating the LiPo right :eek: Anyway, 9 mins? Is the red light on at that point?

Red light comes on about 9-10 minutes, depending on how I fly. Sometimes 11 minutes...

sanderx said:
Red light comes on about 9-10 minutes, depending on how I fly. Sometimes 11 minutes...

Not too bad I guess, I thought I read people were getting like 16-17 mins? Maybe this was with a Vision+ I don't really know?

16-17 minutes would surprise me. Maybe with only hovering and draining the battery to the absolute minimum. 10 minutes is ok for most flights though, at least for me.

freefall101 said:
I noticed a huge difference in flight times between having my FPV setup and H33D gimbal/GoPro Hero3+ attached to my P2 and just flying with the Phantom 2 (when waiting for my Zenmuse H33D to be replaced last week). On a full battery (100%) what flight time (from take off) do you get until say the first red light warning from the Phantom 2, with an FPV setup?

Double check your battery warning levels. (If you upgraded to 3.06 you'll need to go back to 3.04 to adjust them) I set my levels at 10.6 and 10.2 and get 16 mins until first warning on my P2 w/IOSD, H3 tx & ground station. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbD9uL5 ... VSNdmm127A

sanderx said:
16-17 minutes would surprise me. Maybe with only hovering and draining the battery to the absolute minimum. 10 minutes is ok for most flights though, at least for me.

It's perhaps worth noting that hovering uses significantly more power than forward flight - the airflow over the props generates additional lift in flight, so the motors don't have to work to hard to maintain altitude.

I am landed by 30%, once 28%. Hard rule I have. I get 14 min just about every flight. Very consistent with all three batteries.

Flew yesterday to test Flytrex Core 2. 12:49 on Flytrex, included 700ft ascend and I had 35% battery left.

PhantomPhreak said:
Flew yesterday to test Flytrex Core 2. 12:49 on Flytrex, included 700ft ascend and I had 35% battery left.

I had a just over a minute less than that today down to 30%, I swear my flight time has gone down a lot since my Zenmuse H33D was replaced with a new one. Have you heard of anything which might drain the battery a lot in terms of say the gimbal, GoPro, iosd mini, FPV tx?

Does a firmware update have any impact on battery life or flight times as far as you know?

sanderx said:

It doesn't surprise me. It's ALL a matter of how you fly and the conditions... we really do hit 19-20 minutes (17-19 before the first red sequence, only a minute or two before the second). And we aren't flying light (we are pretty maxed out).

Note that there are 19 minutes 15 seconds of video (and 36 seconds more worth of tagging/title cards), and there's beginning non-flight video time chopped (2.5 minutes while the co-pilot was taking his time setting up his camera to videotape the launch). Oh, and a small video segment chopped someplace in the video itself. We hit a little over 20 minutes in this flight.

We were far from just hovering. And it's quite breezy as one flies over the edge of the Long Island Sound :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anGh69wjmAQ[/youtube]

The attached image below is our copter in "extra heavy" mode - we only flew it like this once, and not for a full flight. Some "minor" problems (TBE) thanks to a compass not mounted in the correct place - we crashed halfway through a battery. Our planned standard configuration has taller "stock-like" landing struts instead of the carbon fiber heavy ones, and everything else you see in the picture.

Our next flight will be the hybrid (of our earlier) configurations (our anticipated standard configuration):
  • the taller and wider "stock-like" legs (no carbon fiber legs from the pic) - our earlier flights, like in the video above, were with the smaller and shorter stock legs
  • all of the carbon fiber extension plates (front gimbal extension and rear FPV xmit extension)
  • the FPV components
  • H3-3D gimbal
  • NO wrap around lighting strip (we damaged that one due to the TBE crash)
  • Keeping the big flashing underside LED disc.

With the planned "hybrid config" outlined above, we expect 18-20 minutes with similar flying, from launch time to land time (plus be able to have a minute or two idle, motors-up time).

Here's our very heavy flew a few minutes config:

Attachments

• DJI Chunky - 20140817_125023 - Smaller.jpg
    DJI Chunky - 20140817_125023 - Smaller.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 389
i have p2 with h3-3d gimbal, immersion 600 mw and i 'm getting 14-16 mins. if i fly very aggressively, getting around 13 mins. never falls below 13 mins yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie