What Firmware Is Safe To Dowload To New Phantom 3 Professional?

Reaction score
Hello,.& First I'd Like To Say How Very Informative This Site Is,.With Many Knowledgeable & Nice People. I'll Be Downloading The Firmware & DJI Go App For The First Time,.As My New Phantom 3 Professional Was Delivered. My Question Is What Firmware Version & App Version Should I Download,.That Doesn't Have The New Go Fencing Issues So Many Here Are Plagued With. I Don't Want To Start Off With A Bad Version Of Firmware Or App. Any Information As To What The Best Option Regarding This Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!! By The Way,..This Site Is AWESOME!!! :)

Well That's Great. I'M Going To Start Downloading My Phantoms Firmware For The First Time As I'm Now Just Taking It Out Of The Box. I Have Been Reading A Lot Of The Posts Here Lately & It Seemed Like There Was A Lot Of Problems With The New Firmware Regarding The Go Fencing. Do I Just Keep Introducing The Older Firmware Until I Reach The Newer Version,.Or Can I Just Download The New One & Expect It To Work? THANKS For Any Ino On This. I Just Want To Make Sure I'm Doing Everthing Right The First Time,.If I Can Help It.

Well come on in, to the forum and Phantom family.
Probably a non serious question, but what's up with capitalizing every word? Is that some new language style? Hahaha
Normally we only capitalize the first letter of the first word in each new sentence. ;-)
Although, your mileage may vary.

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

Thanks much & I'm going to try my best & get her done right the first time. I know a lot of people here seem to have problems their first time downloading the new firmwear.

My opinion - Before you update anything you should install the app, power her up, & see what firmware it has from the factory. Set the app up, register the bird with DJI, then test fly it with the original firmware making notes of how she performs. Then you have to make a decision.

If your Phantom has pre-1.5 firmware you can leave it as is & avoid the GEO crap. 1.3.20 (no IOC features) & 1.4.10 (adds IOC features & 2.7K video setting) both work well. I am running 1.4 & will probably stay right here for the foreseeable future due to GEO.

If she arrived with 1.5, you'll want to either downgrade to 1.4 or upgrade to 1.6 to eliminate the battery shutdown issue in 1.5. Choose wisely because once you go to 1.6 you are stuck with GEO. I would go back to 1.4 but that is my personal preference.

Hello,.& First I'd Like To Say How Very Informative This Site Is,.With Many Knowledgeable & Nice People. I'll Be Downloading The Firmware & DJI Go App For The First Time,.As My New Phantom 3 Professional Was Delivered. My Question Is What Firmware Version & App Version Should I Download,.That Doesn't Have The New Go Fencing Issues So Many Here Are Plagued With. I Don't Want To Start Off With A Bad Version Of Firmware Or App. Any Information As To What The Best Option Regarding This Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!! By The Way,..This Site Is AWESOME!!! :)

My opinion - Before you update anything you should install the app, power her up, & see what firmware it has from the factory. Set the app up, register the bird with DJI, then test fly it with the original firmware making notes of how she performs. Then you have to make a decision.

If your Phantom has pre-1.5 firmware you can leave it as is & avoid the GEO crap. 1.3.20 (no IOC features) & 1.4.10 (adds IOC features & 2.7K video setting) both work well. I am running 1.4 & will probably stay right here for the foreseeable future due to GEO.

If she arrived with 1.5, you'll want to either downgrade to 1.4 or upgrade to 1.6 to eliminate the battery shutdown issue in 1.5. Choose wisely because once you go to 1.6 you are stuck with GEO. I would go back to 1.4 but that is my personal preference.

I like your thinking.
What about the tablet/phone, what version are you running on that ?

I wouldn't be updating anything out of the box, if on Android download an older app e.g. 2.4.3 from here
https://apkpure.com/dji-go/dji.pilot

Even DJI are confused with their recent updates (again).
Sometime about June you might re-consider.
It will work just fine as it has been delivered.
This may or may not be the case if you update with limited knowledge.
Ignore any prompts about updates for now, nothing bad will happen.

I agree 100%. Two good reasons to fly it BEFORE updating:

First you make sure everything is working out-of-the-box. If you update first & it doesn't work or behaves erratically you don't know if it came that way or your update introduced the problem.

Second you have a basis for comparing how she performs with the new firmware vs. the old.

I wouldn't be updating anything out of the box, if on Android download an older app e.g. 2.4.3 from here
DJI GO APK Download - Free Media & Video app for Android | APKPure.com

Even DJI are confused with their recent updates (again).
Sometime about June you might re-consider.
It will work just fine as it has been delivered.
This may or may not be the case if you update with limited knowledge.
Ignore any prompts about updates for now, nothing bad will happen.

I've upgraded the firmware to 1.6 without issue on my new p3p. I'm running under android for the app and not having any real experience of issues with the pros and cons of earlier versions or indeed, what GEO is, it seemed logical to ensure the p3p, batteries and controller are all singing the same tune!

Whether or not I come to regret this, only time will tell. However my one and only flight so far passed without trauma and everything seems OK. Fingers crossed that situation remains.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Well I downloaded the DJI Go App @ Version 2.51. It gave me no choice. The Firmware I downloaded to the bird is version 01.06.0040. I don't know what Firmware the controller has. All I can confirm is that everything seems to be working. Even better,..I have No Yellow Warning areas next to the No Fly Zones. Only red areas. I live just over 5 miles from midway airport in the chicago area. Also no helipads @ The local trama hospital show up on Go app. I did not fly it yet though,.do to the extreme cold outside @ this time. It's only 7 degrees in the chicago area. I was very worried I would be in a No Fly Zone,.or Warning Zone. It appears I'm not,..Judging from the OK to fly when I power up everthing. I Will report my first flight & the outcome,.as soon as it warms a bit outside. I don't think flying for the first time in 7 degree Temps would be a smart move!!!

As long as your battery is fully charged, when you are taking off, which you can and should always check before each flight, you may safely fly in weather down to 0* C with no ill effects. Just keep a regular note of the battery voltage in the battery window, near the top right corner. Flying in colder temp's, can and will reduce your flight times. All three firmware editions can be read in the app, and are found under About.

Good luck.

RedHotPoker

That's good to know about being able to fly in cold Temps,.as long as you keep a eye on your batteries cell levels. I was wondering if there is a certain protocol for returning the Phantom back indoors? I am worried about the warmer & moist air condensing in the bird,.& potentially harming the controls inside. Do you or anyone have any tips for bringing the bird & controller back inside,.as to keep water from condensing in these devices? Thanks again in advance!!!

I never worry about indoor condensation. I Only consider not flying in rain or heavy snow fall.
Place your drone in a cool room, or in your basement, if that condensation consideration bothers you.

RedHotPoker

My P3P is coming on the way to reach me. I have got it through online dji website few days ago. I'm hoping they would have updated the bird with 1.6 firmware.

I come from India, here except for airport I dont have any other NFZ I checked through dji website. So can I upgrade and use the latest firmwares and go app?

Well come on in, to the forum and Phantom clan.
Yes, it is always best to update your firmware and use the latest app.
You are lucky, to be in a flight free zone. ;-)

Have fun, fly safe , happy landing.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Karthikdoc
So The 4 Degree Temp outside now,.still means I fly it. Maybe just fly it for 10 minutes,.to see if she works. Thanks for the advice about bringing it into the basement to warm her up gradually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31