What FAA registration number did you get?

FWIW, I wouldn't publicly share your registration number. Someone could just put yours on their drone, and if it ever crashed it would be brought back to you.

Well, sorta.
It would be like using someone else's registration plates on your car. You can do it, just never EVER get caught.
Plus you could demonstrate that the crashed model is not yours by looking at the logs (take off point and time, and so on, for which you can have an "alibi". What is the chance that the legitimate owner lives next to you?
It seems way to risky to me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Can someone provide a link to register?
I've looked all over the FAA site and can't seem to get there!
Thanks!

The number is just one piece of any investigation. In order to convict someone they would still have to put you at the controls. If someone hundreds of miles away uses your number they aren't going to just arrest you based on that number. The arrest standard is still probable cause and the conviction standard is still beyond a reasonable doubt.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
FWIW, I wouldn't publicly share your registration number. Someone could just put yours on their drone, and if it ever crashed it would be brought back to you.
Great. I'd get a free drone! What's not to like?

Reactions: kennedye
Yes, publicizing your registration numbers is a very bad idea. Those who like flying around airports will just use your number on their drone. Try to explain that to the authorities while being put into a car.
I understand that aluminum foil is particularly comfortable this time of year.

The number is just one piece of any investigation. In order to convict someone they would still have to put you at the controls. If someone hundreds of miles away uses your number they aren't going to just arrest you based on that number. The arrest standard is still probable cause and the conviction standard is still beyond a reasonable doubt.
Most people have a cell phone with them that can be tracked to their location a a particular time and location. I'm not to worried about someone using my number. I almost always have proof to where I have been. Gps....cell phone..Dropcam camers

If I was going to just mark a drone with a false number I wouldn’t go through the trouble of "stealing" someone else’s. I’d just make it up. Like FA33BITEME.

Reactions: Damocleez
How will they get the number?
Yes, publicizing your registration numbers is a very bad idea. Those who like flying around airports will just use your number on their drone. Try to explain that to the authorities while being put into a car.
How will they get the number?

<< ridiculous attempt at political comment removed >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snerd
I wonder why you could have a Korean War era fighter jet as your personal aircraft and have an identifier beginning with N which is only 5 or 6 digits/letters long...but we have these huge identification numbers?

political content removed

I guess that would be the scary thing. Someone uses your assigned number and puts it on their drown and does havoc.

I guess that would be the scary thing. Someone uses your assigned number and puts it on their drown and does havoc.
I think the dishonesty we are far more likely to encounter will be those with a legitimate registration number who end up crashing in a place they shouldn't, and then deny that it was their drone. "That's not mine! Somebody must have stolen my reg number and put it on their drone!"

Well, sorta.
It would be like using someone else's registration plates on your car. You can do it, just never EVER get caught.
Plus you could demonstrate that the crashed model is not yours by looking at the logs (take off point and time, and so on, for which you can have an "alibi". What is the chance that the legitimate owner lives next to you?
It seems way to risky to me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Has anyone here actually completed the registration process? I went to the site and there is no method for registration, no link, no form... nodda... how is it mandated and then no functioning online process for registration? Or am I missing something... would love to hear from someone who has completed the steps... it's frustrating at the moment...

FA33L....

I think the dishonesty we are far more likely to encounter will be those with a legitimate registration number who end up crashing in a place they shouldn't, and then deny that it was their drone. "That's not mine! Somebody must have stolen my reg number and put it on their drone!"
That's easy enough to solve... say it's someone elses number on "your" drone? fine.. then produce your drone for inspection.. (';')( ';') um... uh.....

That's easy enough to solve... say it's someone elses number on "your" drone? fine.. then produce your drone for inspection.. (';')( ';') um... uh.....

If they have more than one......then just show your other drone. Maybe a downside to having one number across all your drones.

This system is a work in progress and I wont be surprised if its tweaked down the road. Maybe having to register each drone eventually.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
If they have more than one......then just show your other drone. Maybe a downside to having one number across all your drones.

This system is a work in progress and I wont be surprised if its tweaked down the road. Maybe having to register each drone eventually.

Kind of like a 'throw down drone'....

"That's not my drone, this is my drone sitting right here in the closet. Someone must have stolen my registration ID and tagged their drone with it. I hope you catch them....."

I keep a cheap Xtreem drone in the closet for just such an emergency.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20