What external GPS are you using with your iPad?

Reaction score
I have a wireless-only iPad and I'm getting tired of using my iPhone for "Follow Me" so I'm looking at getting an external GPS for the iPad that will work with Follow Me mode. My only requirements are that it's small, and preferably wireless.
What external GPS are you using or do you recommend/not recommend?

I had a "WiFi" only iPad Mini. But traded it up, for an iPad Air 64gb Cellular. It seemed appropriate to just buy a tablet, with a GPS module built in, opposed to requiring a third device to enable the need or desire for GPS abilities when autonomous flight modes require it. Or to change my beginning home point to the current RC position, as I like to move around sometimes, depending on my location.
It's interesting that a small external unit can be used, in its place.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Most popular external GPS is Garmin GLO

In the rare times that I want to use the Phantom features which require GPS at the RC, I use an older Dual that I already had before my Phantom days. I simply strap it to my arm or hang it from my belt and it works perfectly. It has already paid for itself since I have not needed to buy the more expensive cellular version when I've upgraded my iPads.

Even so, since I don't care much about Follow Me or changing my home point to the RC location, my Dual sits in a drawer most of time. If you use those features often, bake into your decision the fact that an external GPS is one more thing to charge and carry. Perhaps a GPS enabled tablet, be it iOS or Android, would make more sense from a convenience perspective for a frequent user of those features.

One more thing to think about is the upcoming GEO system. From what I understand, having an internet connected device with built in GPS may be much simpler to use when you need to self authorize a flight location while out in the field. We are expecting to be able to self authorize at home in advance, but you'd need to know about it or plan ahead. Tethering your phone to an iPad does enable an internet connection for maps if desired, but since tethering to an iPad does not transmit GPS data, I dont know if it will allow self authorizing in the field to function in GEO. We need to know more once GEO is launched, though it does seem to be in a holding pattern. Keep this in mind as well when deciding.

Last edited:
Admittedly, buying this iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular stung, for several days. It's as good as it gets, and it is a well behaved workhorse, but the original cost was high, making it a prohibitive purchase for many. The prices always drop, after the fact, and we look back and smile anyway.
I'm still anticipating the iPad Air 3 128gb Cellular, to get released... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Just get a cheap android tablet with gps built in, or sell your iPad and upgrade to an LTE version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotspot will not work as an external gps device.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'm sure what he meant for hotspot is his tablet is then connected to the Internet which would work just fine. Pulling maps down as he needs them

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm sure what he meant for hotspot is his tablet is then connected to the Internet which would work just fine. Pulling maps down as he needs them

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes it works great for maps. The OP was about the external gps, a lot of people have tried using hotspot thinking it will work as an external gps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Oso
Yes it works great for maps. The OP was about the external gps
Exactly. +1
He even mentioned wanting it for Follow Me.

a lot of people have tried using hotspot thinking it will work as an external gps.
Correct again. +2
Tethering to a phone does not transmit GPS data to an iPad, and it has been discussed ad nauseam here on the forum including in my post above.
I think it should be allowed to work, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Reactions: Suntana

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub