What exactly do I need to get longer range flights?

Reaction score
Hi!

I have the DJI Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal. I'm about to buy a fpv system package with Flysight 400mW 32 ch transmitter and a 7" display. The video signal should be enough for 1,5 km. But I'm concerned about the range of the radio signal. How far can I fly until the phantom goes into Return Home mode? What else do I need to buy for the phantom?

Sincerely, Lucas from Sweden

saltire said:
You need to upgrade you transmitter antenna and the antenna on the phantom try here for quality antenna's
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/phantom-21/.
I take it your transmitter has been set to FCC mode ?.
Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqFo6l ... AuYol-hxKQ
Immersion 600mw + Uno duo + 7" black pear monitor and horison antennas no booster amps .

That's exactly what the OP DIDN'T ask.........

You probably don't have a P2? Then don't answer a typical P2 question please. There is no FCC or ECC mode like on the FC40 or Vision2(+). That's typical for 5.8GHz systems that suffer from domestic regulations on the 5.8GHz band. 2.4GHz (why I bought the P2 in the first place) is free of that for the most part of the world.

But to answer the OP's question:
The P2 is probably capable of flying 2km, as it is, without loss of control, maybe even further. Why would you upgrade that? Coming back from say 3 km is quite a challenge. The point of no return is pretty much around that distance with the current 5200 batteries.

I f the guy wants long distance fpv then he needs to uprade both the transmitter as well as buying quality fpv gear .
Also if he wants to go long distance then happy days.
My mix up regarding fcc but since my p2 is awaiting a new motor i have to use my p2v+ which indeed has fcc.

saltire said:
I f the guy wants long distance fpv then he needs to uprade both the transmitter as well as buying quality fpv gear .
Agree, but with my standard Fatshark Predator V2 set (250MW) I easily get more then 1,5KM's. Still the standard P2 transmitter never lost contact. So I'd say, get a FPV set first and then decide if you still need a Radio upgrade. Probably the 1,5 to 2,5 Km range is well enough.

My mix up regarding fcc but since my p2 is awaiting a new motor i have to use my p2v+ which indeed has fcc.
That's totally understandable.

Besides, a lot of P2V+ or FC40 flyers believe the FCC switch also applies for a 2,4GHz P2. Before I got my P2 I never realised how 'short winged' my FC40 actually was, which has the same radio as the Vision(2)+. The P2 can go very far without any modification. I have to reach the limit yet. And a relatively simple antenna upgrade on the P2 Radio gives a tremendous boost in range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4