What equipment do you recommend to edit 4k video.

Reaction score
I have a P3P that takes great video. Problem is editing this great video. I use Davinci Resolve on both my Mac and PC but neither has the horsepower really needed. I'm looking to build a PC for editing and was wondering what hardware and software you use. I'm doing this for personal use so no ability to write off expensive equipment, yet.

Thanks,
MPPilot

I'm running Power Director 14, on a 5960X, with 32GB of RAM. Seems to render rather well, time-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is a great time to be learning this stuff as there is such powerful and often intuitive software available. iMovie is a free download. I also have Adobe Premier Elements for video post, and Adobe Photoshop Elements for my still photos, which were factory installed on my HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1387 PC.
What it has running are:
i7-3770K processor
64-bit performance with 16GB DDR3 system memory
2TB hard drive stores up to 358,000 photos
128GB Solid state drive
AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition Graphics card with 2GB GDDR5 dedicated graphics, VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort capabilities, support for Blu-ray, Microsoft DirectX 11, and up to three monitors with AMD Eyefinity Technology

RedHotPoker

Which delightful video editing 'equipment' did you discuss in those previous threads? ;-)
& Should not the popular topic ever be mentioned again, in a public forum?
Please kind Sir, at least Share links, to those other like minded threads, for his perusement too... Ha

RedHotPoker

Premiere Pro now uses proxy files for editing in its latest update. Import your 4k file and it creates a user defined proxy file, 1080, 720, etc. Editing is then done using the proxy files, so less intensive on the hardware, then when finished, the edits are applied to the original 4K files.

Really? I wouldn't ever want my edits to apply to the original source files.

You still have the original untouched files. It applies the edits made to the proxy files as if you'd edited the 4K files, so you have the 4K original file and 4K edited file.

We have learned something new in this thread. That's indeed my awesome... Chuckles
Should it be a stickie? We'll no, but the OP gets a silver star...

RedHotPoker

I'm running Power Director 14, on a 5960X, with 32GB of RAM. Seems to render rather well, time-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I also use PD 14 on my AMD FX8320 and even with the cheesy R7 video card I currently have, they render reasonably fast. Only hiccup I get is when previewing edits: they stutter a little every few seconds in the editor but I'm sure that's mostly the low end video card. Not really an issue since the final render looks perfect. Will likely upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 960 or around there soon.

Mike

Which delightful video editing 'equipment' did you discuss in those previous threads? ;-)
& Should not the popular topic ever be mentioned again, in a public forum?
Please kind Sir, at least Share links, to those other like minded threads, for his perusement too... Ha

No problem, here you go:
Search Results for Query: video editing | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

People can feel free to ask the same question day after day, I'm not going to stop them. However, they should also understand that posters here have taken their own time to answer this same question in detail before and not just ignore the time and effort that they put into those answers. If it was hard to find, that would be one thing but in this case there are probably 50 threads with tons of posts in each one.

I've even taken the time too create video demos of editing apps so that people can view them at their will (not what the OP was asking for... but I think I've done enough to warrant recommending a search to arrive at good information).

Reactions: MPPilot
I also use PD 14 on my AMD FX8320 and even with the cheesy R7 video card I currently have, they render reasonably fast. Only hiccup I get is when previewing edits: they stutter a little every few seconds in the editor but I'm sure that's mostly the low end video card. Not really an issue since the final render looks perfect. Will likely upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 960 or around there soon.

Mike
Not sure that's the vid card. I'm running two Titan X's in SLI, and the editor screen acts a little flakey sometimes. I thought it might be due to running three screens (7680x1440).

Premiere Pro now uses proxy files for editing in its latest update. Import your 4k file and it creates a user defined proxy file, 1080, 720, etc. Editing is then done using the proxy files, so less intensive on the hardware, then when finished, the edits are applied to the original 4K files.
Interesting concept (and execution). I'll keep it in mind. My wife is going back to school so I'll have access to education pricing on Creative Cloud. Something to look forward to.

No problem, here you go:
Search Results for Query: video editing | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

People can feel free to ask the same question day after day, I'm not going to stop them. However, they should also understand that posters here have taken their own time to answer this same question in detail before and not just ignore the time and effort that they put into those answers. If it was hard to find, that would be one thing but in this case there are probably 50 threads with tons of posts in each one.

I've even taken the time too create video demos of editing apps so that people can view them at their will (not what the OP was asking for... but I think I've done enough to warrant recommending a search to arrive at good information).
You've helped me out two ways. First I'm going to check out your videos, second I was not aware of the extent of the search capabilities available here. Thanks.

I use full-blown Adobe Premiere on an HP PC.

About the comment above regarding proxies and not losing the original version -- regardless of what platform and editing software you're using -- always backup your original files and rename them before doing anything -- which of course applies to all data-processing activities.

And if it's critical material, make another copy on another drive, in case your computer crashes mid-job.

The basic rule of thumb is to make periodic backups at intervals when you've done more work than you'd care to repeat if something breaks, or if you make an unrecoverable error!

Anyway, interesting stuff!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost