What does your Lab/workstation look like

Reaction score
I have seen many different pictures and videos of peoples work area ranging from extreme to coffee tables. How serious are you? I myself am an organization freak. I flip out if I cant find something I need. To me it makes any job easier having things tidy and in their place. I get ragged on a lot but when they need something......well, who do they call. Some people can function just fine disorganized. I feel that creating your own workspace is a big part of these hobbies. Can be just as rewarding sometimes. Care to share yours.

My wife has her room too for her crafts. She is not as extreme as me but I kinda give her a push here and there. But I have also learned when to back off, it IS her space.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/nvr2fst1/IMG_2401.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/nvr2fst1/IMG_2403.jpg

Wow, I went searching for a photo hosting site and I remembered I used to have an account at Photobucket years ago but haven't been there forever. One of my old hobbies was still in my account. I modded the hell out of that thing. I put that head, coils, chest lights and all on it early on. Anybody else get into these things before. I know it wasn't cheap back then. That thing alone was $1000.

http://s409.photobucket.com/user/nvr2fst1/media/RobonovaDemo22008_10_05_08_46_22.mp4.html

I have a small remodeling business so I actually use it for a lot of things. The wife and I have an agreement that she cannot say anything against me buying tools. They are my livelihood. Toys on the other hand I may have to whine a bit first. But I am good at it. Good thing she isn't materialistic or we would be broke. She didn't pick up on the fact that The Phantom isn't really a roof inspection tool! Although it just may be.

I couldn't agree with you more. My garage is also very organized. These benches are all down in my cellar as we live in a little two bedroom cape and there isn't all that much room upstairs...

This is actually my reloading bench, gun cleaning area and my general workbench, but I use the workbench and gun cleaning areas both for working on the drones...

This is the gun cleaning bench...
whitepeg06-forum.jpg

This is my worbench...
workbench2-web.jpg

This is the reloading bench...
newbench1-web.jpg

Nvr2fst said:
I have seen many different pictures and videos of peoples work area ranging from extreme to coffee tables. How serious are you? I myself am an organization freak. I flip out if I cant find something I need. To me it makes any job easier having things tidy and in their place. I get ragged on a lot but when they need something......well, who do they call. Some people can function just fine disorganized. I feel that creating your own workspace is a big part of these hobbies. Can be just as rewarding sometimes. Care to share yours.

My wife has her room too for her crafts. She is not as extreme as me but I kinda give her a push here and there. But I have also learned when to back off, it IS her space.

Wow, I went searching for a photo hosting site and I remembered I used to have an account at Photobucket years ago but haven't been there forever. One of my old hobbies was still in my account. I modded the hell out of that thing. I put that head, coils, chest lights and all on it early on. Anybody else get into these things before. I know it wasn't cheap back then. That thing alone was $1000.

http://s409.photobucket.com/user/nvr2fst1/media/RobonovaDemo22008_10_05_08_46_22.mp4.html

Awesome Setup!

Don't feel bad Slinger, I was a cellar dweller many times through the years. Dirt floors and all.

Nvr2fst said:
Don't feel bad Slinger, I was a cellar dweller many times through the years. Dirt floors and all.

We had a very nice, very new house in a neighboring town. When my dad passed on, we decided to downsize and lose the mortgage. It's made life a lot easier for both of us and eliminated a bunch of stress. This is a nice little house and it's allowed us to be mortgage free and car loan free for over seventeen years. (We can afford neat toys now too... ) :D :D :D

gunslinger said:

Sigh...I really need to get my reloading press setup again. It's been sitting in a box since I moved a year ago.
:mrgreen: <--- that's jealousy.

Nvr2fst said:

Very, very nice set up you have there!

As featured in my prop balancing video my kitchen table is where all the Vision action is. It's a 9 year old Ikea model (extendable, with up to an additional two leaves stored underneath) but I can't remember its name - probably "Täbul" or something. It has taken a beating from two children and 2 different dogs, but only one wife. It is broadly the same colour as it was when new, although the shades vary a bit. There are a couple of areas where I don't think it'll buff out. The lighting is good with superbright white led's and occasional assistance from a 7 year old holding a torch if required.

Almost everything I use to do "stuff" with my Vision is kept in the Duratool flight case along with the Vision, all accessories and spares, an anemometer and some extra AAs. My Vision-specific toolkit consists of: the DJI double-ended screwdriver; the DJI prop/motor wrench (unused); a hex driver which holds 6 bits inside the handle ranging from 1.5mm to 4.0mm in 0.5mm increments (unbranded); a Rolson 9-in-1 precision screwdriver, again all bits stored in the handle; a Wera Kraftform 2050 philips screwdriver fine PH 00 tip (great screwdriver for micro quads too); and now Glen's prop balancing rod. Anything extra of a generic nature I might need like pliers, sandpaper, hammer, pickaxe, etc, are in the shed at the bottom of the garden in my general household tool box. This is organised using the "whatever I used last is probably on the top, for everything else rummage" method.

With this exclusive workstation solution it means that when I thought I had a spare half hour to myself to take the motors off to inspect the circlips and bearings but the children/dog/wife/all of the above decide otherwise I can throw (well, place carefully but quickly) everything back in the Duratool box and get back to the cooking and cleaning and child-rearing and dog-walking.

I don't own a soldering iron, but feel like I'm going to have to get one sooner or later, at which point I'll probably have to ditch the kitchen table. We are having an extension built in the spring to add a downstairs guest room-cum-office and I have managed to tweak the floor plan just a little bit to squeeze in an extra desk/workstation for me. But it's not in my nature to have anything quite so tidy and organised and beautiful as you guys. I mean Nvr2fst... your workshop (no other word for it) surfaces are clean enough to eat off. Come to think of it they are cleaner than my kitchen. Now where did I put that scourer.....?

Pull_Up said:
As featured in my prop balancing video my kitchen table is where all the Vision action is. It's a 9 year old Ikea model (extendable, with up to an additional two leaves stored underneath) but I can't remember its name

That sounds like the same one I have -- excellent table... It's survived a lot of stuff, worst was probably the build we did for Robot Wars back in 2003....

Nice digs Nvr2fst - mine is more like controlled caos

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 538
@Pull_Up
You don't have a soldering iron? I would have figured that you would be set up nice. Definitely need one of them. If you weren't all the way across the big pond I would give you one.

My house is actually quite small. It is a split foyer and as I have never had kids, my wife and I get to use the downstairs as our work areas. If I did have kids, I am sure downstairs would be used as a play area. But it just didn't work out that way. Hats off to all of you that have kids, especially in these times.

Wire management is very important. I have so many devices that are chargeable it is maddening keeping track of what is what and keeping everything out of the way. I literally have a good 50 or more devices I have to maintain and make sure they are charged up, or stored properly. I am starting to wonder if it has actually gotten more complicated since the changeover to rechargeable everything.

Nvr2fst said:
@Pull_Up
You don't have a soldering iron? I would have figured that you would be set up nice. Definitely need one of them. If you weren't all the way across the big pond I would give you one.

Well it's one of the reasons I bought a Vision and not a flamewheel kit - I like a bit of tinkering, but I'm not one of those who likes to really get their hands dirty with hairy-chested electronic and electrical stuff if I can help it. But if I do damage something on the Vision I will buy an iron and come to you guys for soldering tips!

Pull_Up said:
Nvr2fst said:
@Pull_Up

Well it's one of the reasons I bought a Vision and not a flamewheel kit - I like a bit of tinkering, but I'm not one of those who likes to really get their hands dirty with hairy-chested electronic and electrical stuff if I can help it. But if I do damage something on the Vision I will buy an iron and come to you guys for soldering tips!

I have a number of old crappy irons here and there, so I talked myself into getting a nice, new one with a fine tip. I wound up with a battery operated one, which sounded crazy to me at the time. Runs on three double A. Thing's awesome. I'm amazed.

-slinger

krb said:
gunslinger said:

Sigh...I really need to get my reloading press setup again. It's been sitting in a box since I moved a year ago.
:mrgreen: <--- that's jealousy.

I picked up a Lee turret press a few years ago. I highly recommend it. Saves me a lot of time. But I still can't talk myself into getting rid of the old RCBS Rock Chucker, which I very rarely use. Sentimental value, I'm guessing...

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub