What Does This Number Mean (Image enclosed) Phantom 4 Pro (DJI Go 4)

Reaction score
Hi All.

Theres been some confusing over what the number circled in the image mean and what it actually means .

The Phantom was about 100foot in front of me yet this figure says it was over all 11km away.?

DJI Support says the figure is total distance from home (Height plus distance)

Others say it Distance to Controller and the reason the number is high was because my GPS was off in my phone ?

Whats correct and also what would happen in a RTH situation (The home point on the map in 3 test flights always regestered 100% correctly)

And finally, this figure on some youtube video shows as N/A how come?

Thanks yall, ive been flying Phantoms since the 2 and only just had this issue since the 4 pro.

2j42hvl.jpg

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Theres been some confusing over what the number circled in the image mean and what it actually means .
The Phantom was about 100foot in front of me yet this figure says it was over all 11km away.?
DJI Support says the figure is total distance from home (Height plus distance)
Others say it Distance to Controller and the reason the number is high was because my GPS was off in my phone ?
If someone from DJI told you that, they should be sacked.
Unfortunately DJI have some people that are completely useless and happy to mislead people.
I can't think of any possible reason anyone would ever want to know the total of height + distance.
The others are correct.
Look at the icon and it gives you a clue.
It shows a plane symbol and a person with a line suggesting it is showing the distance between the flyer and the Phantom.
These screenshots demonstrate what the number is and how it works:
i-T4SLX32-M.png

i-NFHRTPc-M.png

Whats correct and also what would happen in a RTH situation (The home point on the map in 3 test flights always registered 100% correctly)
I'm guessing that your phone is somehow providing a false location which the app is using to calculate the distance your Phantom is from the phone.
It would have zero effect on RTH because the only GPS the Phantom is using for RTH is the one inside the Phantom and it returns to the point the Phantom recorded at startup.

It might cause problems if you tried to do follow-me flying or reset home to the location of the controller.
Or perhaps your app would recognise that it's not using GPS and reject it anyway with a message saying no or poor GPS signal.

Im guessing theres no way to get a copy of chat with DJI?

It was on Friday and I was told that id need to send my P4P backto DJI for a repair (after doing a factory reset and FW Refresh)

Turning on the GPS in my phone has the numbers working fine.

It just had me in a panic re RTH (if you look on my screen shot you can see the map and the fact Home is still visable)

Im gussing with GPS off on my phone it SHOULD say N/A? as opposed to 11km or whatever,

what threw me is i drove to another location and re calibrated the compass and it went upto 26km BUT that makes sense now lol

Im guessing theres no way to get a copy of chat with DJI?

It was on Friday and I was told that id need to send my P4P backto DJI for a repair (after doing a factory reset and FW Refresh)

Turning on the GPS in my phone has the numbers working fine.

It just had me in a panic re RTH (if you look on my screen shot you can see the map and the fact Home is still visable)

Im gussing with GPS off on my phone it SHOULD say N/A? as opposed to 11km or whatever,

what threw me is i drove to another location and re calibrated the compass and it went upto 26km BUT that makes sense now lol

Why are you turning off your phone's GPS?

Reactions: thatdjigeek
I dont turn it off, its just never on as i like to battery save as opposed to being told where i am, unless i need to know.

Thank you for that , any idea why some peoples DJI Go would say "N/A" as opposed to reporting a false location?
Probably just different ways that different phones deliver the location details.
Most trigger the N/A when they don't have good GPS data but yours puts out something that looks like real data and fools the app into using it.

Reactions: sar104
yeah thats logical, im using the s8+ , maybe its too advanced for its own good, the weather has closed into today but i have also a k1 Nvidia tablet, i'll give that a go when the weather clears.

Thanks Again

yeah thats logical, im using the s8+ , maybe its too advanced for its own good, the weather has closed into today but i have also a k1 Nvidia tablet, i'll give that a go when the weather clears.

Thanks Again

I'm not clear how providing spurious location data represents "advanced" in any sense of the word.

In relation to your previous comment regarding keeping location services off to save battery - that's fair enough but it seems a little pointless to buy an expensive and advanced phone but then disable one of its core functionalities that many of the useful apps rely on.

ok sop i worded it wrong

Tested with the Shield K1 ....EXACLY the same issue with GPS off, resolved with GPS on

Both are on Android 7...Will roll back the Tablet and test further in the coming days

Here are a couple of images taken when using the K1, on Android 7, with and without GPS , the P4P was pretty much at the same point, again, a diffrent device is giving off a false location when the GPS is off as opposed to posting N/A

dqrw4p.png

x51npl.png

Last edited:
Here are a couple of images taken when using the K1, on Android 7, with and without GPS , the P4P was pretty much at the same point, again, a diffrent device is giving off a false location when the GPS is off as opposed to posting N/A
So either switch on the GPS in your K1 (there's no reason not to), or ignore the false distance.

yeah of course, i guess im just trying to understand why both are givjng a false location and not just posting N/A

Android 7 on both of them.

But ive just rolled back the k1 to androd 6 and will retest

Last edited:
its not an issue now i know what it is but on the K1, GPS off, Android 6, it gives a false reading of 10km

GPS on and of course everything is fine.

Of course ill just leave or turn GPS on but i like to solve things like this lol.
Thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan