what does the can bus do?

Reaction score
Will someone please explain just what the functionality and or purpose of the can bus is?
Why and when would I need it?

CAN bus works kind of like an Ethernet network. It is common in modern cars. It allows all the different systems to talk to each other. Systems subscribe to each other's messages. For example, iOSD uses the CAN bus to get all the real-time flight data from the Naza. When the ground station is connected to the CAN bus, it sends control messages to the Naza.

it's really more like USB ports on a computer. - every computer has a few USB ports, but if you want to connect more than that you need to buy a USB hub.

All the DJI accessories use a Can Bus connector to connect to the PMU/NAZA.

The PMU 2 only has a single Can Bus connector, so if you wanted to connect more than one device, you'd need to get the Can Bus Hub. (although the iSD mini has an extra port so you can connect another device to it)

Attachments

• naza_can_hub.jpg
    naza_can_hub.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,011
It may seem like USB because that is how DJI packages it. However, you can add as many items as you like to the bus without any hubs, heavy cables, etc. doing only basic soldering. The basic topology of a CAN bus is dead simple:

CAN-Bus_Elektrische_Zweidrahtleitung.svg

Thanks for the images. That helps explain the can bus role.
Now if they could just put it all into one neat little box.

yes i mean the cable leading to the can bus on the leg and its connection to the main board.

do you have a lightbridge? can you get it to work? Ive tried everything and i cant get my radio (DX6i) to communicate with the phantom through the lightbridge. any help is greatly appreciated

shaunmed said:
yes i mean the cable leading to the can bus on the leg and its connection to the main board.

do you have a lightbridge? can you get it to work? Ive tried everything and i cant get my radio (DX6i) to communicate with the phantom through the lightbridge. any help is greatly appreciated

Yes - mine seems to be working fine. I'm using a Futaba 14SG. So nothing works? What color are the status lights (control and video) on the air unit when you power everything on, is the ground unit status light blinking or solid, and what does the OSD show for connection status?

all the lights are solid green including both air unit lights and solid green ground unit light. All the telemetry on the LB app is reading correctly except i have an error in the botom right corner saying
photo.jpg

shaunmed said:
all the lights are solid green including both air unit lights and solid green ground unit light. All the telemetry on the LB app is reading correctly except i have an error in the botom right corner saying
photo.jpg

Flashing yellow lights on the Phantom? What values to the control and video signal indicators (OSD top right of center) say? You are in Naza mode I assume.

the control signals on the osd/ telemtery read 100% and 98%

I have tried both Naza and Phantom mode with same result.

Reactions: billp26
the control signals say 100%.

There are flashing yellow lights on the rear LED's of the P2.

I have tried both Naza and Phantom mode on the Asst Software.

shaunmed said:
the control signals say 100%.

There are flashing yellow lights on the rear LED's of the P2.

I have tried both Naza and Phantom mode on the Asst Software.

My guess is that your radio is triggering failsafe mode on the Phantom - I can reproduce exactly what you describe by switching to FS. Have you checked in the Phantom Assistant to see what the U channel input looks like? I had to reprogram the endpoints on the Futaba for the switch that I assigned to the U channel - unadjusted it was triggering failsafe.

shaunmed said:
this is what it shows

Right - it's in Failsafe - that's the problem. First of all I would switch back to Naza mode, then check your switch position on the radio (it seems to be at the wrong end of the throw anyway) and then adjust the endpoints so that it falls correctly into the 3 positions. I don't have FS set on that switch anyway - I use a different one as you can see.

XqnMxyM.jpg

moving any of my switches (gear, elev, flap, ail, rudder) doesnt make the U-channel slider move at all. Do I have to configure something on the Dx6i (as in a new model type, mix etc?)

also the asst software says the exact same thing even when i dont have the radio connected to the LB at all

I think youll find you can get yours to act the same way perhaps if you disconnect the radio as well?

its as if the LB is getting no signal from the radio whatsoever, or not transmitting any info. is there some special other setting on the DX6i that i have to program?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik