what does failsafe mean and ios

Reaction score
my fc40 comes back to me if I turn transmitter off is that failsafe mode
this is my first quadcopter and its amazing I love it but I don't understand ios and failsafe

In a nutshell, failsafe is the same as rth or return to home, which, when activated by turning off the tx or (if set in naza m) by flipping the s1 switch in it's lowest possition. As for ios, it's actually ioc or intelligent orientation control, which first has to be set in naza m, allows you to go into either home lock or course lock by flipping the s2 switch into the middle or bottom possition. Home lock allows your phantom to return back to it's home point no matter which way you're facing by holding down on your right stick. With course lock, whichever way you're facing when activating course lock will allow you to travel along the path you were facing and allows you move your phantom as if it was mounted on a straight rail with a 360 degree turning radius. So forward and back would be up and down on the right stick no matter which way you're facing and it'll stay on the route your phantom was pointed at when course lock was activated.

Course lock is determined by the direction the quad was facing at power up. Not the direction it was facing when you flipped S2 to course lock while flying. Is that what you meant? Now some versions can be changed in the air.

Monte55 said:
Course lock is determined by the direction the quad was facing at power up. Not the direction it was facing when you flipped S2 to course lock while flying. Is that what you meant? Now some versions can be changed in the air.

Really? It's been a while since I used the ioc controls but I could've sworn course lock was set based on the direction it was facing when you switch to it. Maybe I'm thinking about something else then. :oops:

kitari said:
Monte55 said:

Really? It's been a while since I used the ioc controls but I could've sworn course lock was set based on the direction it was facing when you switch to it. Maybe I'm thinking about something else then. :oops:
You are correct, Course Lock is determined when you enter CL mode. I tried a test a few weeks ago where I flew with CL, turned the A/C and switched to HL, and back to CL, and the new heading was locked in.

SteveMann said:
kitari said:
Monte55 said:

You are correct, Course Lock is determined when you enter CL mode. I tried a test a few weeks ago where I flew with CL, turned the A/C and switched to HL, and back to CL, and the new heading was locked in.
I thought that was how it worked, but I wasn't 100% sure, thanks for the reply.

SteveMann said:

I don't think you're right Steve. Course is determined when you switch the quad on like Monte55 says. Whatever direction the Phantom is facing at power on is the direction it'll go when you push the stick forward in CL mode. Courselock orientation can be reprogrammed in flight with the S2 switch although it has never worked for me.

wattage said:
SteveMann said:

I don't think you're right Steve. Course is determined when you switch the quad on like Monte55 says. Whatever direction the Phantom is facing at power on is the direction it'll go when you push the stick forward in CL mode. Courselock orientation can be reprogrammed in flight with the S2 switch although it has never worked for me.

If it ever warms up a little more, I'll try to test it out myself this afternoon. I know home lock is set during start up, but I really think course lock is set when you go into it. I'm about 73.33334% sure that's how it works.

wattage said:
SteveMann said:

I guess you're right, I just went outside to test it out and it does in fact set the course lock direction during startup. I don't know what I was thinking about. I guess I need to go read the manual a few more times. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4