Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What does DJI's announcement mean for P2/NV owners?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by cdr34, Nov 13, 2014.

1. cdr34

I followed all the Inspire 1 teasers and leaks...
    I watched the live stream last night...
    I would LOVE to buy one...
    Unfortunately I can't justify the purchase at this point. Which is okay because my P2 N/V is great!

Was there anything announced which will change things for us? Seems like the SDK is just Vision/+... What if we have GS?

Thoughts?

2. adanac

It means nothing to me as a camera operator, thankfully, because it offers nothing I'm in need of. With my P2 I can already shoot 4K, rotate 360, and see what I'm shooting via VTX. I don't require an HD feed to the ground.

The entire time I watched the event and saw their resources and heard them talk about their success, I could not help but wish they put that kind of energy into servicing their existing customers.

3. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Nothing. Other than we will likely be neglected that little bit more as they focus on different initiatives. SDK looks to be Vision only though I could be wrong. Inspire is a beta product. I foresee challenges for early adopters.

4. N017RW

On a personal note...Nothing.

The P2 is my first/last DJI RTF.

Not saying I won't use an MC or something the future but the proprietary nature of this tier level is off-putting for me.

5. UrAwFuL

Nothing to me. Hopefully DJI would still continue to working on the Phantoms but hyper-IOC is all I wanted (and probably more assurance for less flyaways), but other than that I think Phantoms are already good as it is especially at the price point set nowadays, it seems fair.

6. cdr34

Hopefully SDK is the first step toward a more open-source approach... that would be nice.

Are you talking about some sort of POI? I read that the DJI Pilot app (Inspire 1) allows you to fixate the camera and continue flying as it follows said object. I would love to see that technology (or similar) integrated into the next GS software update.

7. UrAwFuL

Similar to the Walkera to encircle a POI. Although I'm able to pull it off (sometimes) manually, I'd like to try it automatically because I'm lazy. :lol:

I wished they updated their GS software on non-visions to do that so I don't end up selling that one off. :lol:

8. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

+1

9. SteveMann

It will mean the same as the P2 announcement meant to P1 owners. DJI has a few other products that fly, but that hasn't stopped them from keeping the P2 current. I suspect that there are too many P2 owners to just abandon them.