What does a phantom do when it looses GPS !?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Technical question for you. Imagine you're flying a phantom, you've taken off with a good amount of sats visible, but after moving a few hundred meters in one direction, you suddenly drop to 3 sats for example.
What will the Phantom do next ? Will it turn off GPS and effectively operate in ATTI mode automatically ( i.e. hover and drift with the wind ), or does it expect the user to switch to ATTI mode manually ? Will it do anything like climb vertically to try and gain a bit of height, or land immediately ?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm troubleshooting for my dad who lost control of his when it was only about 50 meters away, having already flew perfectly for 3 or 4 minutes, he just hit a GPS blackspot ! I've never had this happen to me so can't give him any advice on this.
He panicked as he lost control and hit failsafe mode, but that obviously didn't work as there was no GPS. So trying to give him a correct course of action should that happen again ( I've said to switch to ATTI, and manually fly the phantom back visually for now ).

Phantom is in NAZA mode by the way, any advice welcome, as long as you're not rude :)

Mike

Your first idea is the right one.
Without 6 sats the Phantom defaults to atti mode and drifts on the breeze unless you pilot it.
It has no idea where it is or how to RTH.
If your Phantom is over two months old, it needs the foil mod to fly reliably.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

Yeah I've already done that to mine, but postponed doing it to his as I've just added flytrex core 2 to it, which ends up giving you lots of excess GPS cable inside. Trying to work out the best place to store the cable in the casing so that it can be insulated with tape, as I imagine adding flytrex only increases the interference problem on that cable :)

Meta4 said:
Your first idea is the right one.
Without 6 sats the Phantom defaults to atti mode and drifts on the breeze unless you pilot it.
It has no idea where it is or how to RTH.
If your Phantom is over two months old, it needs the foil mod to fly reliably.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers