Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stacy Cobb, Aug 20, 2016.

?

Would you use a mount that holds your transmitter and tablet on a tripod?

This poll will close on Mar 20, 2017 at 2:18 PM.
  1. Yes I'm interested.

2. No this would not be useful to me.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Stacy Cobb

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into developing a tripod mount that holds your transmitter and tablet on a tripod. This would be a stand alone addition but would work great with our professional line of sunshades at www.aerialdroneaccessories.com

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Stacy
    www.aerialdroneaccessories.com

BigAl07 likes this.
  2. captain kush

It is a great idea. I have one I purchased from gimbal-guard.com

Stacy Cobb likes this.
  3. WetDog

I just attach an Arca-Swiss block to the bottom on my mount with my new best friend - VHB tape. I use Arca-Swiss plates for camera work and have several tripods so this is just another thing that gets mounted. Not sure what the penetration of AS blocks here is.

But tripod mounting is the way to go if you can rig it. Hard to hike with all that stuff but if I'm working out of the car it's what I do when using an boosted set up. Saves the neck.

And you look pretty darned scary with antennas and what not sprouting from your tripod. Fortunately everyone around here knows me.

4. zander lane

image.jpg ...here's my rig - bird and stuff in thinktank bag, stand over shoulder and I can hike in several hundred yards without breaking my back...just a standard light stand from the photography world with a couple brackets to hold ipad and tx - gives me a lot more stability when working sticks and can just glance between screen and bird quickly...

5. srosen

I'm not a professional Photographer so I won't comment on tripod question, but I do have something for the suggestion box. How about something on your current sunshade (mine is on order) that would hold or secure 2 eyeglasses or at least 1. The reason is people who require reading glasses only (Non-Prescription) need to manipulate 2 eyeglasses while flying - Reading glasses and Regular Sunglasses. It can be a real hassle sometimes and really gets in the way of keeping on top of the drone and camera activity at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

6. zander lane

image.png
    ...had same problem - found these bifocal sunglasses on amazon and they work great - just have to get used to using the right "zones"!

"Gettin' old ain't for sissies."
    - my mom

Mark The Droner and Stacy Cobb like this.
  7. srosen

Thanks Zender -I'll give them a try.

I have a book on my desk called " The Joys of Getting Old" - it's 200 pages - All Blank

8. Stacy Cobb

Would love to see some pics of how you did this.

9. Stacy Cobb

My old eyes are hearing you. Let me think about something that will work.

10. htownphantom

you can also pick them up on ebay,I buy them all the time either from misplaced or broke.The all plastic ones break pretty easy but you can get them for under 10 bucks shipped.
    I just bought these which feel like they will hold up pretty good
    Beach Bifocal Reading Glasses Tinted Lens Lightweight Semi Rimless Metal Frame

11. htownphantom

Thats an awesome setup,good job

12. srosen

Stacy - All you really need on the sunshade would be 1 or two rubber pegs attached to each side (hopefully they could come off when folded up) that could secure the open glasses. I say open because it's really difficult to open glasses while your flying, it's important the pegs
    Are designed to secure them open, not folded up. I know I make it sound like it's simple, but compared to the sunshade it is a simple problem to solve.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

MiamiDroneFlights likes this.
  13. srosen

Bifocals are a workaround, not a solution.
    A lot of people have a hard time using bifocals correctly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

WetDog likes this.
  14. Mark The Droner

A lot of us already have adapted ways of securing our controllers to tripods and the tablet is already on the controller so...

But I bet there would be a market for such an item as a stand-alone solution.

15. MiamiDroneFlights

You are so right. I put my sunglasses over my scrips. Not the best solution.

16. CCrew

I find this interesting. I have a set of polarized (progressive) prescription Oakleys and they do a wonderful job - right up until I need to see a computer screen. It will blot out a screen to pure black unless I play with the "just right" angle of view. In looking this is to be expected of any LCD screen. Not so with OLED

17. alokbhargava

I'm not in favor of using a setup with tripod. I would rather go for a high res hdmi goggles. They cost $700 but offer great views and are easy to handle.

18. WetDog

I've been going back and forth about this. No good answer:

Tripod -

Pro:

- Easy, it just sits there. You can add all sorts of accessories without your neck muscles going stiff.
    - Easy to adjust beam for more directional antennas assuming you are going more or less in a straight line (or just not going around in circles).
    - Since you are not trying to hold the thing up or control it physically, it's easier to do fine stick control which is important if you are trying to film and fly simultaneously.

Cons:

- Another thing to set up.
    - Can't use it anywhere.
    - A tripod with antenna etc. looks inherently suspicious to people of the paranoid persuasion.
    - Even a bright monitor with a sunscreen doesn't always work on a bright day.

HDMI Googles

Cons:

- You look even weirder / more suspicious to pretty much everybody.
    - You really lose situational awareness.
    - Can be fiddly.
    - Can be difficult for us presbyopic folks (anybody over 45).
    - Yet another battery.

Pro:

- Best contrast under bad conditions.
    - Not terribly expensive (a good tripod cost more than most goggles although you really don't need a carbon fiber bear proof tripod for a drone).
    - Light weight.
    - Stylish (well, maybe in another decade or so).

Life is so confusing....

19. QuadBart

I think a "mono-pod" would be better cause it would offer a flat stable surface and could be easily moved around without having to adjust the legs so the "tri" sits level...

20. Stacy Cobb

I love goggles but to me this is a big FAA no no. Line of site is required and all though they are setting it up to make it easier on us, if something happens and you are wearing goggles I believe you are going to be in a world of hurt. I would love to know everyone else's thoughts on this.

BigAl07 likes this.