What do you say to AHs who tell you it's illegal to overfly a house.

To keep our Sport or profession we must be responsible and courteous. Is there a listing of No drone sites and a clear rules and regulations for flying?
Brad, you can fly here all you want and none of the "sky is falling" crowd here will bother you:
Desert-450x232.jpg

Here is an interesting "no fly" map that appears to be accurate, but I see that Brad beat me to it.
https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/
It shows Major Airports, U.S. Military Bases, U.S. National Parks and TFRs. It even has a "show me where I am at" button, but it just shows where your ISP is located. I'm not sure who manages the site but there is a link to report errors. When you hover over an area it tells you the name of the area. If it's an airport, all that you need to do is notify Air Traffic Control that you intend to fly a model aircraft in their area. Be sure to be very specific on the location, time and maximum altitude. Some think that you need permission, but all that's required is notification. (Cite below). However, if it's an airport that services the airlines the local law and ATC personnel are going to panic. If it's a National Park, then don't take off or land in the red area. TFR's change daily, so I don't know how up to date this map is.

Here is an official map of current TFR's:
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/ns/scale2/tile_2_2.html

What's missing are "Wilderness Areas", which you can see here: http://www.wilderness.net/map.cfm

PUBLIC LAW 112–95 pertaining to model aircraft
SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a)(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Brad Vickery
Well thanks for that link. I now know that I am dead square in the middle of a no-fly zone. Ignorance is bliss! LOL
As airports go, Cedar City is pretty small. There isn't even a control tower. If you were dead square in the middle you would know because your house would be at the intersection of two runways.

Aircraft operations: avg 133/day *
54% local general aviation
32% air taxi
11% transient general aviation
2% commercial
<1% military

The Airport Manager is Russ Volk, 435-867-9408

Remember, only notification is required - the manager cannot prohibit the flight. He can advise if it would be a hazard, but he cannot deny the flight.
If you call him often enough to inform him you intend to fly in your back yard up to 100 ft, he may offer a blanket authorization letter after the 50th call.

I was taking off in front of my house [ as I often do ] And the guy across the street was out side, He yelled
at me don't be looking in my back yard. I sad to late.

Similar to PCTX's account of Australian regulations here in the UK the rules concerning SUAS and privacy are very clear and lack ambiguity.

Flying within a horizontal distance of 150metres of buildings that you are not directly responsible for is not permitted without prior authorisation from the CAA.

Flying within 50m of a person, or persons, that you are not directly responsible for is not permitted.

There is also legislation in place to protect one's expected rights to privacy, this includes in or on your own property. Once outside these boundaries there are no expectations of privacy which probably explains why here in the UK we have one of the highest concentrations of CCTV cameras per population. One exception where a photo or video restriction can be imposed is that of a crime or accident scene where such activity could compromise or impede an investigation or cause further distress.

Regards

Nidge
Agreed, did you know that 25% of the world's CCTV cameras are installed in the UK?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4