What do you guys charge for aerial media?

Transport Canada is also revamping its regulations for UAV commercial use and at present we require an SFOC - Special Flight Operations Certificate if we do not want to try and squeeze into the narrow exemption conditions. The SFOC will be phased out and it seems things may get easier up this way to use the drone for commercial operations. I am in the SFOC process as we speak.
How is that going for you? Have you talked to anyone from Transport Canada yet?

Thanks for that information. I am already in contact with Transport Canada and I'm beginning the SFOC process. I am also looking at attending ground school training to add experience and credibility. Does anyone know of an Insurance provider in Canada that covers UAVs for commercial purposes?

I am checking with my photography insurance company. I have $5M liability and asked what I need to add drone coverage. Will be attending ground school, writing exam and applying for SFOC.

Can advise once I finish if you wish (unless you beat me to it, then you tell me)

photos.grottoli.ca

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I spoke to someone in TC they said there is no fees associated
I also spoke to one of the member here from Quebec who applied but was rejected, One of the reason is you need to have certification from Ground School to proven qualified drone pilot

The form is kinda complicated to fill up as well, I have the English and French version

I dont know anything about the FAA rules. I hadnt even really concerned myself with what a 333 was untill this thread.

I did look into what the requirements in Australia are though.

There is an equivalent to the 333 where you may be approved to conduct commercial operations. The person in control of the AC must be licenced also. You dont need a full pilots licence however you must demonstrate competence in flight theory and proficiency in operation of the type of UAV you operate. Both are subject to formal testing.

I was in touch with someone at Transport Canada and they provided the necessary information to begin the SFOC process and where to send the application. I started one and sent it in as I was told to get it started and one of the 2 agents who review the applications would help in getting it completed correctly. Within a day I had a response with more information from one of the reviewers and they even included a completed SFOC application from another company as an example for me to follow. They were very helpful and encouraging that we would work through it together until we got it right and I got my SFOC.

If anyone needs any help/contact numbers or email for TC send me a PM.

I spoke to someone in TC they said there is no fees associated
I also spoke to one of the member here from Quebec who applied but was rejected, One of the reason is you need to have certification from Ground School to proven qualified drone pilot

The form is kinda complicated to fill up as well, I have the English and French version

At present, Transport Canada has no regulation stating you have to have certification as none exists right now in Canada for UAV operation. I know there are certification courses (which I have enrolled in) which teach you all you need to know, but there is nothing official needed in this regard under current TC regulations. It's not like a driver's license where you need one to drive a car, but for flying UAVs of course the course adds credentials to your SFOC application and your experience.

TC informed me that certification and licensing is what will evolve as they revamp the current regulations and the SFOC requirement is phased out.

I am checking with my photography insurance company. I have $5M liability and asked what I need to add drone coverage. Will be attending ground school, writing exam and applying for SFOC.

Can advise once I finish if you wish (unless you beat me to it, then you tell me)

photos.grottoli.ca

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for that. It would be great to know once you get things set up. I was informed by TC to start your SFOC application as soon as possible, even prior to having the ground schooling and insurance so that's what I've done. I found it strange that TC does not require any proof of insurance, as long as you state you have it than that satisfies their requirement. Right now, insurance is my biggest hang up and hopefully I'll find a company soon.

If you have a 333 Exemption you can see your PIC requirements under Conditions & Limitations (in my exemption it's #13)

Conditions & Limitations:
Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport. commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

For clarification the Sport Pilot Airmen certificate is the "least" you can hold in "standard" terms but I have heard of others who have complied with their 333 Exemption by using a Glider or a Balloon rating. But you have to have an Airman's Certificate which include ground school and some amount of "stick time" in the air. If someone is telling you otherwise you need to contact your local FSDO and get that in writing TODAY.

In all fairness at one time it was written that a Private Pilot certificate was the min allowed. That changed to a Sport Pilot certificate so that a UAS operator wouldn't have to get a full blown Airman's Medical certificate and could utilize state issued drivers license instead. By downgrading the requirement to Sport Pilots License made a lot of sense.

So much misinformation here I don't know where to start:

1. Your AMA, home owner's or other general insurance does NOT cover commercial use. The only insurance that works for commercial use is aircraft insurance.
  2. Aircraft insurers may sell it to you without a 333 but it's doubtful any claims would be honored for commercial use without the 333.
  3. Under current FARs, you must possess a pilot's license in some form to operate an sUAS commercially. It's written in every 333 exemption granted to date. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed. Part 107 will change this when implemented.

So much misinformation here I don't know where to start:

1. Your AMA, home owner's or other general insurance does NOT cover commercial use. The only insurance that works for commercial use is aircraft insurance.
  2. Aircraft insurers may sell it to you without a 333 but it's doubtful any claims would be honored for commercial use without the 333.
  3. Under current FARs, you must possess a pilot's license in some form to operate an sUAS commercially. It's written in every 333 exemption granted to date. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed. Part 107 will change this when implemented.
Excellent summary :)

Reactions: ianwood
I didn't read through this whole thing. Sorry. I don't care that much.

Juss...relax dude. It's all good. The sun will continue to rise and set.

Last edited:
I'm just waiting until after June or so to see if the FAA changes the rules. If nothing happens by the end of the summer, I'll go the Section 333 route. I just don't want to spend any money on anything I don't need to.
You can go ahead and file for the 333 Exemption now, it costs nothing.
I just filed mine last week. If the new "107" rules make it unnecessary, then no loss except a few hours tweaking the letter, based on another already approved that I found on the federal register website. With approvals taking many months now, I figured get it into the pipeline now and then I have options whenever the FAA actually releases new rules.

Right. I will look into filing one this weekend. It costs nothing. It takes time anyways. Good call.

I thought id click on this link an see a list of what people charge. Similar to this:
1. $30 an hour
2. $50 an hour to include 5 still shots
3. $100 an hour to include 3 shots with edits
etc, ect.
but all I see is a crap load of henpecking, whiney folks babbling about 333. It's done. No one cares about 333.
Technology has surpassed faa in this realm and they've no control. Free spirit capalizim rules
america. Not the faa or these boards.
go make as much money as you can. And of course come back and give a report on what you charge, like the first question in this link. People should know what fmv is on aerial photography, plain & simple.
All this rheteric by members just feeds the liberal media to twist it around drones are bad.
are you a ***** or a man? Take opportunity when its given to you and squeeze it by the balls.

Someone actually responded to the question at hand. I forgot what the hell the post was about. Cool.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl