What do you guys charge for aerial media?

Reaction score
So looking to jump into this as a side gig, I'm curios what you guys charge for this service. It's hard to do it on an "hourly" type rate. Because of battery limitations but no worries I do have 5. I plan to offer both photo and video services and just want to gather estimates so I know what to base off of.

...and I don't want to hear any mess about exemption 333 please stick to topic. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So looking to jump into this as a side gig, I'm curios what you guys charge for this service. It's hard to do it on an "hourly" type rate. Because of battery limitations but no worries I do have 5. I plan to offer both photo and video services and just want to gather estimates so I know what to base off of.

...and I don't want to hear any mess about exemption 333 please stick to topic. Thanks

In the absence of meeting compliance with applicable legislation and requirements in your juristiction fees charged and opportunities will be limted, even if and after restrictions are relaxed. Very few prospective clients will be prepared to engage you if you dont hold and are able to produce a certificate of currency for insurance. They wont accept the risk of damage or injury to property or talent. To that extent it is a relavent and real consideration.

I would suggest creating a show reel and image portfolio including working for free or greatly reduced rate initially to demonstrate your value. Work published and applied to commercial use is great advertising.

As to price enquire as to what the competition in your area are billing.

Working to a breif is likely easier to manage than an hourly rate.

There is no one else in my area offering these services as of yet.

Reactions: rockymtnrob65
I have already received a booking for a new country club swim club opening up due to me originally sending them images. They liked the view and want me to film the opening celebrations as well as provide photos for their brochures. We are going to discuss costs upon contract signing so that's why I don't even know where to gauge

Reactions: rockymtnrob65
Interesting thread. I am looking at the same thing presently and I am have the same questions regarding costs of service. I am looking at taking a UAV training session for certification, shopping around for insurance and other necessary steps required.

I charge $250 for 12 pictures within 40 miles of my zip code.

Video, more pictures, or further distance is extra.
Wonderful thanks

What do you charge for video?

I am looking at taking a UAV training session for certification, shopping around for insurance and other necessary steps required.

I use State Farm for insurance. Both liability and a rider to replace it if I crash, fly away, etc.

Wonderful thanks

What do you charge for video?

Unedited video starts at $350 (I also include 12 photos in this package).

I will do BASIC video editing starting at $500.

I use State Farm for insurance. Both liability and a rider to replace it if I crash, fly away, etc.

Unedited video starts at $350 (I also include 12 photos in this package).

I will do BASIC video editing starting at $500.

Thanks. I am up in Canada so not sure what insurance options are available. I checked with my auto insurance provider and they don't offer it and my home insurance provider are looking in to it.

This subject of price is typically "what the market will bear". It's all about supply and demand. If you're in the boonies and nobody else can do what you do, you have a monopoly, you can charge whatever the customer will pay. That's often set by what kind of car the guy has sitting in his driveway, or the value of his home, etc. So, pricing can be all over the map, based on the market and customer conditions.

From a customer point of view, the price is based on the quality of the results. Demo videos online can help you prove your skill set, so the customer knows what to expect for the end result. You're a photographer. If you ask 5 photographers what they charge their customers you'll find the numbers will vary greatly, depending on their experience, skill set, notoriety and word of mouth marketing from past happy customers, as well as the market conditions.

Since you're a beginner with no certification, 333, insurance and little experience (implied by the post), you should start out modestly priced to start building your customer base. That's a good way to get good word of mouth marketing going for yourself. When you're booked with so many jobs that you can't handle it, raise your price 20%, and keep raising them until you aren't booked 3wks out, or until the FAA catches up with you :p.

This summer you should be able to get a 107 cert for less than $1000. I'm hopeful the FAA will release that plan soon. That's what you need to get business insurance to fly commercial drones, if you don't plan to get a 333 (6mo waiting period) and pilot license (another 4-6mo process).

If you're in the US, and you are legally registered with the FAA, make sure you follow the guidelines you signed up to. You don't want to lose your house for the liability you're exposing to yourself to. Negligence to the guidelines won't help you in court. Keep in mine that most insurance companies will only insure you for hobby purposes. If there's an incident that's determined to be for commercial purposes (IE, you're flying for money), your insurance coverage is null and void. To get liability insurance for commercial work, no insurance company will sell you a policy unless you have a 333 and pilot's license, assuming they are a reputable company.

This subject of price is typically "what the market will bear". It's all about supply and demand. If you're in the boonies and nobody else can do what you do, you have a monopoly, you can charge whatever the customer will pay. That's often set by what kind of car the guy has sitting in his driveway, or the value of his home, etc. So, pricing can be all over the map, based on the market and customer conditions.

From a customer point of view, the price is based on the quality of the results. Demo videos online can help you prove your skill set, so the customer knows what to expect for the end result. You're a photographer. If you ask 5 photographers what they charge their customers you'll find the numbers will vary greatly, depending on their experience, skill set, notoriety and word of mouth marketing from past happy customers, as well as the market conditions.

Since you're a beginner with no certification, 333, insurance and little experience (implied by the post), you should start out modestly priced to start building your customer base. That's a good way to get good word of mouth marketing going for yourself. When you're booked with so many jobs that you can't handle it, raise your price 20%, and keep raising them until you aren't booked 3wks out, or until the FAA catches up with you :p.

This summer you should be able to get a 107 cert for less than $1000. I'm hopeful the FAA will release that plan soon. That's what you need to get business insurance to fly commercial drones, if you don't plan to get a 333 (6mo waiting period) and pilot license (another 4-6mo process).

If you're in the US, and you are legally registered with the FAA, make sure you follow the guidelines you signed up to. You don't want to lose your house for the liability you're exposing to yourself to. Negligence to the guidelines won't help you in court. Keep in mine that most insurance companies will only insure you for hobby purposes. If there's an incident that's determined to be for commercial purposes (IE, you're flying for money), your insurance coverage is null and void. To get liability insurance for commercial work, no insurance company will sell you a policy unless you have a 333 and pilot's license, assuming they are a reputable company.

Excellent advise John.

I agree with John Locke 100 percent, however in my area there has been commercial drone activities that I'm speculating, not compliment with the current FAA rules, also some YouTube vlogs that I've watched of so called commercial pilots who consistently breaking rules. I'm interested in using my drone commercially, and I'm following the correct procedures. I know there will be a lot of missed opportunities, but the possibility of being fined or worse, is not worth making a fast buck. All it takes is for a legitimate commercial pilot to be under cut by an outlaw, and a phone call.
Here is a basic guideline of current price packages.
2f4355a38a335157c843750cb873a352.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Cartolano
In the absence of meeting compliance with applicable legislation and requirements in your juristiction fees charged and opportunities will be limted, even if and after restrictions are relaxed. Very few prospective clients will be prepared to engage you if you dont hold and are able to produce a certificate of currency for insurance. They wont accept the risk of damage or injury to property or talent. To that extent it is a relavent and real consideration.

I would suggest creating a show reel and image portfolio including working for free or greatly reduced rate initially to demonstrate your value. Work published and applied to commercial use is great advertising.

As to price enquire as to what the competition in your area are billing.

Working to a breif is likely easier to manage than an hourly rate.
You don't need an exemption to get insurance. It's similar to insurance for a car. You can have a suspended license or no license and unless you've been excluded from the insurance, you are still covered for liability. However, once insurance company finds out you have no insurance, they will exclude you from coverage as its a sign of not taking care of things and statistically a higher risk.

I know you said you don't want to hear about the 333 exemption mess and I understand your thought process and I'm not making any judgements but Id be remiss if I didn't warn you that making money by ignoring the FAA, congressional approved modernization act is a federal felony and you probably won't get insurance and you are really rolling the dice because any client that will accept a uninured, un-licensed photographer, won't be enough to risk a felony.

As for what I personally charge, it depends what it is. I have multiple levels of liability protection from my LLC, insurance, and UAS' that shoot broadcast quality.

I don't charge hourly and I probably wouldn't take a gig that didn't make me at least 7-10k. I do golf courses for JW Marriots after doing Mirasol in Palm Beach Gardens and I've made as much as 40K.

Hourly without the proper permits, docs and protection is not worth it but if I had to make up a number, I wouldn't do it for less than $75 an hour for production and you should quote a time frame for post that depends on the length and scope of the gig.

If you're gonna be in post for a week, that's worth at least another 5K minimum and if they want titling and effects, up to 10K-100K if you're using VFX, titling.

Impossible question to answer. So many variables, not the least of which is your skill level in pre, prod, and post and your ability to negotiate.

Best rule of thumb, get as much as you can. :)

Think I'm gonna go in with 8-10 images for $250. Then $75 per 5 minute video clip. To start off building my profile. This country club I will be shooting for has a huge golf course so if they want that included the price will ramp up. The reason I think I'll enter in at this price point is to began a relationship with them and secure exclusive event coverage. IF this first booking goes well I will look into adopting insurance. I'm not so worried about the 333 unless I start doing weekly bookings.

As for what I personally charge, it depends what it is. I have multiple levels of liability protection from my LLC, insurance, and UAS' that shoot broadcast quality.

If you have your 333, what type of pilot license did you have, or get, to do your commercial work? I assume you're the PIC for these jobs, right?

If you have your 333, what type of pilot license did you have, or get, to do your commercial work? I assume you're the PIC for these jobs, right?
No, the pilot in command is Jess, my partner and our exemption is through him in our general partnership.

The pilot license he had to take was just some sort of written exam, it's not a full on get in a plane and fly. It cost us all of about $1700 to get and if you want to get an exception and not wait over a year, I would recommend getting a lawyer.

We also have several reels which help sell us:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark C.
No, the pilot in command is Jess, my partner and our exemption is through him in our general partnership.

The pilot license he had to take was just some sort of written exam, it's not a full on get in a plane and fly. It cost us all of about $1700 to get and if you want to get an exception and not wait over a year, I would recommend getting a lawyer.

We also have several reels which help sell us:

Sorry to hear it took you a year to get your 333 exemption. That's pretty slow, you must have had some issues with your application.

I'd like to hear more about Jess's pilot license type. I've never heard of taking an exam only, that's interesting. The FAA says you need flight training and a minimum of a "Sport" pilot license. Please let me know what the pilot certificate is called. I'll want to look into that as my next step.

I have my 333, I submitted my application in Oct and got it back from the FAA last week, it took 6 months. I got it for $150 through AcesDeals.biz where I bought my first drone. That's the best deal anywhere, no lawyer is needed.

Hmm does AMA policy even cover you for non sanctioned , non hobby activities?? ie for profit flight off an AMA sanctioned flying field?

ie State Farm deductibles for this were so high its easier to just replace the drone out of pocket...the liability quote would have raised our rates up a bit.

hzl

I charge $100.00 per property for 2 still photos each property. I have the AMA insurance. 85.00 per yr.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj