What do those stupid S1 and S2 switches do?

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of RTH, attitude, and NAZA mode. What do those mean? And what do those switches do? DJI really should've explained this instead of forcing me to ask a forum. I have a P3S

Here's an overview of the P3S remote controller features:

Check out the Phantom manual for more details on the RTH function and ATTI mode. You can download the Phantom manual on the P3S downloads page.

I've seen a lot of RTH, attitude, and NAZA mode. What do those mean? And what do those switches do? DJI really should've explained this instead of forcing me to ask a forum. I have a P3S

DJI Support - Phantom 3 Standard

the Phantom is a pretty complicated toy
there will be many things you will need to research and learn on your own.
its the nature of the beast-- cutting edge high tech!

have owned 6 various phantoms and still learning daily.

its nice to be computer famialiar as well

good luck and have fun flying

No one is making you go to any forum, it's called a manual. Step#1 download manual, Step#2 Read up to page 52 in the manual. Step#3 Make your maiden flight. I knew everything about my Phantom and flew it for months before even knowing about the Phantom Pilot forum.

Last edited:
There are manuals on DJI's site. I have only had my Phantom for a few days and I had no issue finding them. Also, youtube has been invaluable in researching as there are videos of just about every aspect of these things all over the site. Before I ever got my drone, I knew enough to get started, calibrated, and updated and get to flying.

Those two switches will not be so stupid when you have nothing else to use !!

Get the manual and read through like others say ....

Nigel

I'm new as well, so after reading and watching the video:

S2 (left switch): toggle up/down 3 times to toggle RTH;
-toggle 2+ times along with the gimbal dial (round toggle in front of S2 that tilts the camera) to reset wifi password.

S1 (right switch): up = GPS, mid = ATT, and down = IOC;
-move up/down "multiple times" to cancel a failsafe RTH
-move up/down 3+ times to calibrate compass (I'm assuming on the ground?)

I do have a question though, do you HAVE to activate advanced flight modes to go into ATT? I'm guessing you need to for IOC to get the follow me and other modes. Also, I tried searching for "NAZA" in the manual and nothing popped up.

As a new drone user attempting to follow all the rules and not recklessly use it, I have to admit the manual is not that intuitive for someone not used to the R/C flying world even for a person who has extensive flight experience. I have a PPL, flown instrument approaches, I am very familiar with US and ICAO procedures, and have extensive airtime in real aircraft, but it even took me a minute to realize that the S2 switch is on the left when you'd think it'd be sequentially numbered left-to-right.

Reactions: Shadow P3
I'm new as well, so after reading and watching the video:

S2 (left switch): toggle up/down 3 times to toggle RTH;
-toggle 2+ times along with the gimbal dial (round toggle in front of S2 that tilts the camera) to reset wifi password.

S1 (right switch): up = GPS, mid = ATT, and down = IOC;
-move up/down "multiple times" to cancel a failsafe RTH
-move up/down 3+ times to calibrate compass (I'm assuming on the ground?)

I do have a question though, do you HAVE to activate advanced flight modes to go into ATT? I'm guessing you need to for IOC to get the follow me and other modes. Also, I tried searching for "NAZA" in the manual and nothing popped up.

As a new drone user attempting to follow all the rules and not recklessly use it, I have to admit the manual is not that intuitive for someone not used to the R/C flying world even for a person who has extensive flight experience. I have a PPL, flown instrument approaches, I am very familiar with US and ICAO procedures, and have extensive airtime in real aircraft, but it even took me a minute to realize that the S2 switch is on the left when you'd think it'd be sequentially numbered left-to-right.
You almost have it all right. The S2 also can be used to link the RC to the AC. When using the S1 to cancel a RTH I believe just going from P to A does the job. Might been more of a typo but you use the word failsafe, it would be the smart RTH and user initiated RTH that you be cancelling. Fail-Safe is when you lose RC contact, I guess once it's back in range it would cancel that also.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You almost have it all right. The S2 also can be used to link the RC to the AC. When using the S1 to cancel a RTH I believe just going from P to A does the job. Might been more of a typo but you use the word failsafe, it would be the smart RTH and user initiated RTH that you be cancelling. Fail-Safe is when you lose RC contact, I guess once it's back in range it would cancel that also.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Ok cool. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie