What do I need to know about getting a Phantom 4 Pro

The P4P is a big step up from the P3S as it shoots up to 100mbps. The improvements in IMU's and controls make it very stable and smooth. I'd recommend a few extra batteries of the higher capacity type (5870mahr) if you expect to fly several flights in a day and another set of props and other than that having a good, bright tablet is also helpful.

Other items that can of use are a charger that can charge 3 batteries and the RC at the same time -- again, helpful if you expect to fly several times a day. Probably good to have at least a 32GB uSD card with a 64GB or even 128GB being preferred if you fly several times a day. Lastly, since shooting at 100mbps will chew through a crap ton of data you may think about getting an external HD or two in the 2TB or larger category.

Brian

1. The P4P uses 2.4 and 5.8Ghz bands, however they bumped up the 5.8Ghz power up higher than 2.4, so leaving the craft on 5.8 AUTO provides the best range, usually more than 3mi.
2. The low light capability of P4P camera is better than P3S, so shooting photos at night is incredible.
3. Batteries from P4 will work with P4P also, in case you run across a good buy on a P4 battery. P4 batteries give you about 2min less flight time than the P4P batteries, which are still kind of expensive.
4. Since you're not use to flying more than 2500' away, with P4P range of 3+ miles, make sure you aren't flying downwind on a long range mission. You can lose your craft with that mistake, or you'll need to land it away from home, and then find it.
5. The props will get in your camera view in S mode. To mitigate this issue, fly P mode. Even with obstacle avoidance enabled in P mode it can fly fairly fast, unlike P4's 19mph with OA on.
6. With a much more expensive craft, you may want to invest in a MarcoPolo tracker, or Trackimo 3G tracker, just in case.

Shopping list may need to include:
  • Extra batteries
  • Battery charging hub (three batteries)
  • Extra props (the P4P comes with 8 props - if you're a careful flyer no need for extra props)
  • ND Filters - ND 8 and 16, possibly 32. It may be better ($) to go 3rd party
  • 64 or 128 GB SD card - Class 10 (don't skimp)
Edit - added SD card.

Last edited:
1. The P4P uses 2.4 and 5.8Ghz bands, however they bumped up the 5.8Ghz power up higher than 2.4, so leaving the craft on 5.8 AUTO provides the best range, usually more than 3mi.
2. The low light capability of P4P camera is better than P3S, so shooting photos at night is incredible.
3. Batteries from P4 will work with P4P also, in case you run across a good buy on a P4 battery. P4 batteries give you about 2min less flight time than the P4P batteries, which are still kind of expensive.
4. Since you're not use to flying more than 2500' away, with P4P range of 3+ miles, make sure you aren't flying downwind on a long range mission. You can lose your craft with that mistake, or you'll need to land it away from home, and then find it.
5. The props will get in your camera view in S mode. To mitigate this issue, fly P mode. Even with obstacle avoidance enabled in P mode it can fly fairly fast, unlike P4's 19mph with OA on.
6. With a much more expensive craft, you may want to invest in a MarcoPolo tracker, or Trackimo 3G tracker, just in case.

I find 5.8 Ghz useless, I lose signal waaay before 2.4 Ghz. I guess it depends on interference and ****..

Besides the items that are needed:
I highly recommend to buy at Amazon thus being able to return the drone back within 4 weeks without having to go through week-long DJI repair hassle.

The chance to get a P4P with the tilted horizon problem is VERY high.
I got two P4Ps and both have it.
The first one I bought at a retailer and has been at DJI repair for 4 weeks.
The second one goes back to Amazon tomorrow...

I highly recommend to buy at Amazon thus being able to return the drone back within 4 weeks without having to go through week-long DJI repair hassle.

Are you referring to the gimbal flip, when the camera tilts sideways for a half second during high speed turns? Or, are you talking about the horizon being slightly off level a few degrees? If it's the latter, I think everyone deals with the horizon being slightly off occasionally, requiring the C2 photo wheel correction from time to time. I'm not sure DJI will every be able to fix that one.

I find 5.8 Ghz useless, I lose signal waaay before 2.4 Ghz. I guess it depends on interference and ****..
If you have a true LOS connection, many pilots say 5.8 AUTO works best, going 3+mi in suburban areas (suburbs, no high-rises like downtown LA or NY city). If you don't have LOS, such as trees in the way, 2.4Ghz may work better due to better penetration from the lower frequency. But DJI bumped up the RF power on 5.8, so it seems to perform better in many areas, as long as you have LOS. Don't discount it's usefulness.

If you have a true LOS connection, many pilots say 5.8 AUTO works best, going 3+mi in suburban areas (suburbs, no high-rises like downtown LA or NY city). If you don't have LOS, such as trees in the way, 2.4Ghz may work better due to better penetration from the lower frequency. But DJI bumped up the RF power on 5.8, so it seems to perform better in many areas, as long as you have LOS. Don't discount it's usefulness.

Gonna try it out again this week. I live in northern Sweden with very little interference when it comes to buildings and such. Mostly trees :)

Gonna try it out again this week. I live in northern Sweden with very little interference when it comes to buildings and such. Mostly trees :)

Wow - Sweden.
Apparently the country with the harshest drone rules in the world. Any drone with camera is considered an illegal surveillance camera.
Good luck to you! Hopefully you can enyoy flying without trouble.

Wow - Sweden.
Apparently the country with the harshest drone rules in the world. Any drone with camera is considered an illegal surveillance camera.
Good luck to you! Hopefully you can enyoy flying without trouble.

Nobody cares about that law.. And it will be removed most likely 1 aug this year..

I have previously had a Phantom 3 Standard and I have been wanting to upgrade to a Phantom 4 Pro. Any advice/information I would need to know.
Thanks, Annie.

Annie, just wanted to add that you don't really need to get anything else so long as you have a tablet or phone you can use so don't think that you have to buy all the other stuff that's been mentioned. Of course, if you plan to fly several times in a day it would help to have some of the stuff that's been mentioned, but you can start with the basic P4P kit and get some experience BEFORE buying more stuff.

Brian

All of my DJI multi rotors cameras produce tilted horizons (P3p, P4p, Mavic & Inspire I Pro) of about 1-3 degrees. It's a very easy fix in post. I certainly would not send one back for that, unless yours is way off.

You can view samples of not slight and always horizon tilt here:
New phantom 4 owner, observations
Yes, I think everyone deals with that much horizon tilt from time to time. If you're passionate about a perfect horizon, become familiar with holding the C2 button and spinning the photo wheel to make horizon adjustments, if you aren't already. The horizon tilt is a DJI wart that won't go away. I have to chuckle because DJI has some pretty sophisticated software that can do image recognition using images in the display and follow people with Active Track, but they can't recognize a tilted horizon in the display and do real time gimbal adjustments. Go figure.

Oh, Sweden..... well, with CE rules your radio my not have the same 5.8Ghz performance I mentioned we get here in the US with FCC rules.

Oh, Sweden..... well, with CE rules your radio my not have the same 5.8Ghz performance I mentioned we get here in the US with FCC rules.
Yes - you guys have much more range like us Europeans:
range.jpg

All of my DJI multi rotors cameras produce tilted horizons (P3p, P4p, Mavic & Inspire I Pro) of about 1-3 degrees. It's a very easy fix in post. I certainly would not send one back for that, unless yours is way off.

Yeah - I think you can call it way off on my side ;-)

tilt.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20