What Do I need for first flight ??????

Reaction score
P4P should be here in a couple days, I can't wait.

Started this addiction with a Syma X5C moved up to a Hubsan H501S and now on to the Phantom.

I will be using a Ipad 4 mini. Will I need to purchase a connecting cable or will one come with the P4P ?

I know I need to download DJIGO4 (not sure if that's the proper name).

I have read and read this forum but would still like to know. Anything else I need ???

Also, as to your first flight. Anything you wish you knew that you thought you knew before your flight that you learned after that you didn't know ????

Hi Stan and welcome to the Phantom world. I'm three weeks into mine and first time drone and I am so hooked! The Phantom comes with a cable but it is a long one. I ordered a one foot cable from Amazon and glad I did, no hanging cables and nice fit.

Keep your first flight simple. Do it in an open field with no obstructions. Don't push it. Get to know all the commands and really try to learn the program, where and what each thing is on the screen. Set the RTH higher than the base 30 meters. Try the flight simulator in the app for a bit, it's not perfect but it will give you an idea of how it will respond to your inputs. Enjoy it and don't get cocky. You will love it. Good luck.

I watched several BASIC YouTube videos and like others said - found a wide open field and just practiced some squares, circles and orbits. Hit familiar with startup & shutdown. Tons of fun!! Congrats!!

Reactions: mski
It doesn't come with a cable if you're using an Apple iOS device. You will need to use the one that came with your device or purchase an extra (short) one. I got two 12" cables from Amazon which are Apple certified & work great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddyfisher
Anything else I need ???

Guts.

Seriously.

Anything you wish you knew that you thought you knew before your flight that you learned after that you didn't know ????

Manual, manual, manual.

Download it, read it, reread it, then go over everything in it WITH the craft once you get it because some things will change perspective once you are actually holding it. Understand it. Can't possibly emphasize that enough.

Then, HAVE FUN!!

Reactions: rexsaysausages
Guts.

Seriously.

Manual, manual, manual.

Download it, read it, reread it, then go over everything in it WITH the craft once you get it because some things will change perspective once you are actually holding it. Understand it. Can't possibly emphasize that enough.

Then, HAVE FUN!!
And once you've read it, reread it, read it again :)
I found a pre flight checklist app, which got me into the routine of good behaviour. I'm new to this lark, it's my first drone, and I was scared to turn the bugger on first flight, after reading of all the fly away/horror stories, but I've come to learn 99% disasters are pilot error.
I now totally trust my machine, and I've had multiple software crashes on the pro+ controller, while over the sea even, and have no fear. Learn all the procedures and you'll have no problem :)

Reactions: jwmcgrath
All of the above and you might benefit from using the flight simulator in the app too. I did while waiting for a good weather window and it help with control variations when Phantom orientation changes. Enjoy!

Agree. I used the simulator for two weeks before even attempting my first flight. I've had my PS3 for about two months without any issues. Getting ready too try out other flight modes. Read the manual and keep watching videos.

You'll eventually want a Hi-Aerial hood for that iPad Mini. You'll also eventually want a backpack, I like the Think Tank Helipak, great value, and the best available IMHO. I'll often take my lawn chair out with me to sit and relax to fly around the hills or ocean. I've noticed that people don't stare at you as much if you're sitting down flying versus standing up, especially if I wear by nerdy looking umbrella hat. Ha!

You'll also eventually need one of these to hold your SD cards. It's big and easy to find in your backpack.

Get at least 2 more batteries, but you'll eventually want a total of 4, maybe more.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
Totally agree with earlier posts about keeping your first flight simple (and close to you!), don't be tempted to fly any great distance, keep line of sight and once you have digested the manual get used to basic flying techniques. Then just go enjoy!

I agree with everything already said. I have had two pilot error crashes, both involving trees. They are a nightmare if stout not careful. Ensure RTH is set well above any possible obstructions. Above all " don't panic" if You get a little Nervy, just stop mid flight, access the situation, gain a little more height, then react to situation. Be careful if You lose Your orientation, i.e. Drone is turned 180 degrees,so now left is right and right is left. If confused, switch to F mode and bring drone back using Home lock or RTH in P mode.
I find You tube Videos very helpful. Check out " Toms tech time" on You tube, great tutorials. But above all, don't try to run, before You can walk. Find a wide open space to familiarise Yourself with all the controls. And ALWAYS do a compass calibration for every new flight destination. I tend to go it every time regardless.
Have Fun.

All of above and (here it goes...controversy) HAND CATCH. Landing these things can be detrimental to the airframe if you don't touch-down perfectly. Let the chorus of Yays and Nays begin.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl