What DJI Got Wrong With the Phantom 4

As I said, I don't give a rat's appendage what you do, though I Really should. You see, this hobby that the rest of us have been doing safely and somewhat in obscurity for over 50 years is in jeopardy because of exactly the types of behaviors you are encouraging. It's not safe, and to say anything otherwise is pretentious at best and outright dangerous at worst.

Just because "people do it" does not make it safe.
people have been handcatching since day one with phantoms if you don't like it don't due it but don't judge or tell someone not to due it it isn't your place to decided what we due with our drones

Reactions: Sinisalo
One more thought... If you can't land an aircraft without tipping it over, you just addressed the entire problem by making one statement.

One more thought... If you can't land an aircraft without tipping it over, you just addressed the entire problem by making one statement.
I have no problem landing just more fun to handcatch

Hand catching is essential when flying from a boat. Many boat captains use this method when landing due to motion of the vessel. However, you must be an experienced pilot that has the skill and the know how without causing an accident. Only experienced pilots hand catch.

I'm not new to RC and the AMA. I've been flying RC for 25 years and full scale for 30. I've also been an AMA regional officer. I'm a CFI and instrument rated.

What are your qualifications?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: m0j0
are you nuts a lot of people hand catch there phantoms prevents them from tipping over geez might want to look around forum half the people handcatch

I hand catch as well. You do it right....no problems.

let me help you
1 gimbal guard / hand catch don't need one
2 hdmi output/ get a tablet with hdmi output then you don't need it nvedia shield
3 lipo battery / don't hear a lot about battery blowing up or catching fire paranoid
4auto record / easy one press the button geez really
5 lens / buy some nd filters wont have this problem
plus in your video you said this was dji most expensive drone / no it isn't even close

1. agreed
2. exactly
3. not around here
4. really hard to do....
5. and get better pics/video.

Inspire 1? hello??

Reactions: flpholt
Sorry guys this has went way off course and will open back up in a few :)

offtopic.gif
OK guys, lets lighten up a bit in here. While discussion & debate is welcome, arguing and belittling your fellow members is not. You may not agree with each other but that is no reason to go postal on each other. Lets remember the reason we are all here, the love of our aerial platform. Always encourage safe flying and try to be an ambassador of the hobby. Don't be a poster child for future restrictions.

With that said, lets stay on topic, and be respectful to each other.

Thread Open:Carry On

PS - the great pumpkin site soon come
emoji-E445.png

Is it possible he thinks hand catching is done from the top? lol. It's not it's done from the bottom... Much safe that way!

In the desert there's little other way to land. Rocks and sand and such

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow, it seems that nobody can have an opinion anymore without taking flack. I've been flying DJI for years and own 3 of their quads, I was hoping to generate some positive conversation. Thanks for the support and welcoming post.

That was a very professional video. You should be at tv reporter. .

Your opinion is certainly allowed. That being said, so is an opposing opinion.

To add the hdmi out would cost DJI more to manufacture. I'd venture that 95% of those that own one never would use an HDMI output. Those that might have the option to buy DJI HDMI output module, as you did.

The outer glass on the camera is actually a removable filter, which provides the lens protection from UV, dirt, pollen

The vertical collision sensors and ground height sensors would have to be moved onto the lower legs if DJI were to install a gimbal shield or guard. This potentially would make the AC less reliable, having these sensors in closer proximity to the ground, and also increase the likelihood of damage to the sensor wiring as it would have to wires external to the hull or body of the aircraft.

I have not heard of any reports of p4 batteries becoming shorted, although anything is possible.

Older lipos have no protection circuits built in, but instead rely upon the charger to ensure no incidents occur. That being said, it's pretty easy to improperly program your charger and cause a lipo to overcharge, overheat and potentially catch fire.

The battery and charging system for the P4 is no more likely to burst into flames upon charging than any other well engineered lipo 'smart" battery and charging system, such as used in many electronics. all have some sort of thermal, over current and overcharge protection to minimize such risk. My MacBook Pro and iPad have huge batteries, with more capacity than the p4 battery, yet I feel no need to charge in a charging bag.

Finally, I believe the proper term would be 'Flak', not 'flack'. No flak intended.

flak
flak/
noun
  1. antiaircraft fire.
    synonyms: antiaircraft fire, shelling, gunfire; More
flack

NORTH AMERICANinformal
noun
  1. 1.
    a publicity agent.
    "a public relations flack"
verb
  1. 1.
    publicize or promote (something or someone).
    "a crass ambulance-chaser who flacks himself in TV ads"
My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: niyochi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers