What counts as spying?

I don't know if there is a technical definition. In my opinion, if you're at low altitude above someone's house and you're hovering, you're spying. If you're at higher altitude (say 300' or more) and moving along, even at slower speed, you're not spying. Just my opinion.

It's referred to surveillance and many argue it is unclear as to what specifically constitutes this but if you are purposely fixated on a subject without permission, that's a good start.

Phantom Pilots is a great resource for Phantom related topics.

As I have demonstrated it is not so good for Legal advice.

Just avoid people & property below where you fly. Neighborhoods are never a good place to fly. Find a field, sports field or park.

Reactions: joeb1999
Not spying. But if your neighbors request that you not fly above them I'd respect it and just take it elsewhere to use. Technically your not supposed to fly over them anyway. Or directly above them.

I've have flew over a few houses and hovered above a few, does this count as spying?
use of a drones co

I've have flew over a few houses and hovered above a few, does this count as spying?
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
  • Fly no closer than two nautical miles from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).

I think you are mixing spying with "surveillance". If you mean surveillance than this usually only applies to law enforcement. Surveillance then means that you observe someone enough to know their movements and habits.

The main difference is if you can show that you are filming a large area or many people and not one person, you are fine.

Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
  • Fly no closer than two nautical miles from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).

Unfortunately OP has violated most of those safety guidelines in the last day including flying at 1000 ft altitude, almost hitting a plane, flying/ hovering over other peoples houses. I really, really hope the kid doesn't end up hurting someone or take down a plane/helicopter.

Also here is a test done with an inspire about spying.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
It is what THEY perceive that you are doing. From there you will need to prove that you didn't do it, very hard to do. Just flying by, probably ok. Hovering 12 ft above that 14 yr old in a bikini 'cause you had to sneeze', not so much. Anything in between is judged by their paranoia

Unfortunately OP has violated most of those safety guidelines in the last day including flying at 1000 ft altitude, almost hitting a plane, flying/ hovering over other peoples houses. I really, really hope the kid doesn't end up hurting someone or take down a plane/helicopter.
Yep. That was my first and will be my only reply to the OP after everything he has posted on the forum.

Reactions: Jay H

Also here is a test done with an inspire about spying.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The video is subjective.
Naive even.

Secrecy notwithstanding, there is equipment available to easily allow ID imaging in the demo-ed conditions.

The video is subjective.
Naive even.

Secrecy notwithstanding, there is equipment available to easily allow ID imaging in the demo-ed conditions.

Ok, clearly the video isn't extensive test, its just some guy showing examples of how stupid it would be to spy with a drone. I highly doubt this 14 year old kid is going to get equipment for ID imaging.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic