What causes this?

Reaction score
Phantom 2 with Gopro 4 silver, when shooting into the sun I get these really odd semi translucent bands that scroll on the video and as soon as I rotate out of the sun it goes away. Is this from the propellers and shadows? Any recommendations on how to avoid it (with the exception of not shooting into the sun?)

Yes. Use neutral density filters.

ND filters yes. You can also build a lense hood to prevent the prop shadows. Or tilt the camera down a little more.

Yep! Prop shadow. Notice how it only appears when the Phantom is facing a certain direction. Shooting early / late also helps.

With the neutral density filters do you guys feel the gimbal is stressing at all? I know it's minimal weight but just concerned.

rudyr89 said:
With the neutral density filters do you guys feel the gimbal is stressing at all? I know it's minimal weight but just concerned.

It causes a little stress if you don't counter-balance it so that it sits level when powered off. Look for the threads on balancing. remember to use velcro or something on the counterweights so you can take the ND filter and weights off when you don't need it.

I have flown about 50% of the time with an ND filter and I don't counter balance but I have one gimbal that is starting to act up and is back at DJI now for repair. So there IS a good chance that not counter balancing with shorten the gimbal life. But I also have probably 200+ flights on this particular gimbal so use your own judgment.

Looks like I am going to have to pay my local sweet shop a visit. Clarify? Just ordered a 'petal' lens hood because I myself have experienced that 'strobe' effect on my films. It makes sense if you think of it like a fan blade blocking out the sun for a brief moment several times a second. The lens hood should shade the lens from that effect. So the suggestion that it should be counterbalanced makes sense. Of course you have to know what the hood, and the counterbalance, weighs hence the sweet shop. They weigh everything in grams. Alternatively I could just stick things on the back till I think its balanced.

The ND filter will diminish the 'strobe' effect but it does not stop it. I flew mine the other day with a filter on and it was still there.

Here is a very brief sample of what I was getting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.