What are your limits & "Line of sight"

Reaction score
So a couple of questions....

1) I've read lots about only flying "line of sight". Does that mean: A) make sure I can see the drone at all times? or B) make sure the drone has a direct line to me at all times, even though I may not be able to see it? My eyesight is OK, but I find that once it's 50 metres away...I can't see it, so I'm then flying by using the iPad screen/FPV.

2) What is considered a safe distance limit? I know thats an open ended question, but in a country environment, no people, no interference, what is a safe distance? On the weekend I flew 1000 metres away from me, and had an altitude of 120 metres - this was with my phantom 3 advanced.

Thanks

1. los is b, vlos is a. FAA wants vlos
2. 1,000,000 different opinions on this, my feeling is what I feel at each location will not endanger others if it fails. Know the area that you are flying, even if by maps and google earth

Reactions: JBJO
a is the right answer as far as distance well that's up to you to decide if you want to fly out of sight

The FAA and Transport Canada, lean towards a visual line of sight with the unaided eye. So as far as one can see the bird in flight and avoid any collision.

Thanks for the replies.

Not wanting to start an argument, but the vast majority of drone videos I watch on Youtube, they would have to be out of sight of the operator - based on how far they have travelled. Still, that does not make it right, but it's interesting so many people do indeed fly it out of sight.

I know.
It can be done safely though even at lower than 200 ft. alt. but common sense needs to be present.

However people will do as they please when they please in a free and democratic society.

Some of us are blessed with miles of wilderness, frozen lakes and sparse population.

Reactions: NepenthesLucas
Yes, I'm very lucky where I am. Out in the country, minimal houses, just lots of open paddocks and a lake - which is why I wanted to push the distance...to get to the other side of the lake! (About 1500metres)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My first real flight (other than hover testing, etc.)was 1300 m over/across a frozen lake. No real issues other than some trees 6-8 ft in front of me scattering the signal. It did make me turn around however.

My first real flight (other than hover testing, etc.)was 1300 m over/across a frozen lake. No real issues other than some trees 6-8 ft in front of me scattering the signal. It did make me turn around however.
I've done a bit of testing - and it would only apply to me - but VLOS (the important part) for me is 280 meters with a Phantom on a clear day in sunlight. I just can't see it much farther. If I knew someone was watching, I would probably fly well within that. ;-}

Fly it how you want to while you can, i fly most everyday weather permitting, i can count on one hand how many times someones even seen my white bird

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Same with me. I would rather fly with nobody observing. I guess I just don't want the drama it creates with some people thinking they're being spied on or the government is watching them. I've already had one guy say he would shoot it down and he's never seen it.

200' or lower on the Height and about 1500' out is as far as I need to go.

396 height 2600 feet distance easy to see

I've done a bit of testing - and it would only apply to me - but VLOS (the important part) for me is 280 meters with a Phantom on a clear day in sunlight. I just can't see it much farther. If I knew someone was watching, I would probably fly well within that. ;-}

I did a Litchi mission yesterday( so I knew where the drone was going/path)however with the southern sky background and the sun to the right, I was able to easily see it flying @550m when it made it's programed turn.

I agree they can be hard to see, I took my eyes off mine when a hawk got near the drone and I had trouble finding it afterwards at about 300 m.

It truly is an individual dependent distance.

To add, I'm curious as to what is considered a responsible altitude limit to most. Obviously, not considering being around major urban areas or within 5mi of any airports.

I have never been higher than 750ft. Was flying in an ex-urban/rural area.

I'm an old radio guy, and to me, line of sight does not mean visual. When the FCC talks about LOS communications, (and there is plenty they talk about)it simply means "clear of obstructions" it may be 20 miles....People that says the FAA "leans toward" VLOS, what are they basing that on?? They say line of sight,,,ok, I have a telescope, now what? "Unaided line of sight"?? LOS means you are far less likely to lose comms, and far more likely to reestablish them,,,if there are no buildings or mountains between you and your bird. And that is safer.....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
It's going to be different for different people depending on your eyesight and you can't use magnifying lenses, just "normal glasses". I can see it at 2500' on a good day. My son (early twenties with the awesome vision I used to have) can see it at 3500' and even further.

I'm an old radio guy, and to me, line of sight does not mean visual. When the FCC talks about LOS communications, (and there is plenty they talk about)it simply means "clear of obstructions" it may be 20 miles....People that says the FAA "leans toward" VLOS, what are they basing that on?? They say line of sight,,,ok, I have a telescope, now what? "Unaided line of sight"?? LOS means you are far less likely to lose comms, and far more likely to reestablish them,,,if there are no buildings or mountains between you and your bird. And that is safer.....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Their FAA official interpretation of visual line of sight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj